Steelhead Effort

Started by Tim SF, November 23, 2009, 10:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim SF

STEPS
1. around 9 lbs of Steelhead (costco, no fishing trips anytime soon and the freezer is empty)
2. Kummok's brine, less the cayenne (I like it, but most of this will be given to friends and I didn't want make that choice for everyone)
3. Brined for 22 hours
4. Let dry for 12 hours, (it never setup, when I started, it was a cold clear night, by morning it was drizzling, so relative humid. was high)
5. Smoked for 4.5hrs, alternating 2 apple / 2 alder
6. WHAT I TRIED FOR: 2hrs @100, 1hr @120 2hrs @ 150, 1.5hrs @175(ish)
6a. WHAT I GOT: hours 2-5 were a little dodgy as I am still getting used to the temp-control and its effect on temp. (Kinda like steering a boat: any correction has an impact that's not immediately apparent)
7. brushed on honey at 2hrs, 4hrs and final coat at finish

NOTES:
1. even though I let brine for a long time, I didn't feel it was overdone. I will experiment with less and compare.
2. Steelhead is relatively thin compared to say Kings, but remained very moist (meaning for salmon, I need to have a little more temp-or-time on the back end)
3. I got lazy/forgetful at the later stage and didn't rotate trays. Bottom back obviously more done. need to rememebr to rotate trays front to back (180deg) as well as top to bottom
4. I tried to keep one tray honey-free, but lost the courage of my convictions.

Over all, I am totally stoked. This is as good as any priot effort with my older masterbuilt smoker (which I learned to hate very quickly - getting the temp/smoke just right in a windy place like SF was like trying to balance a dime on end).

thanks for all who contribute to this resource!

Tim

squirtthecat

It looks good from this angle!

The Bradley temperature control is a bit iffy..  I like your 'steering a boat' analogy!

A lot of guys here have sprung for the Auber PIDs so they can program those ramps in.  I took the cheapskate route and went with a Ranco temperature controller.   It's essentially a thermostat on steroids.   Any temperate changes have to be done manually, but it has a simple to use interface..

Tim SF

one more "note to self": Do something about the salmon-flavored OBS before you do the next rack of pork ribs.... YUCK!   

Any tips? Do I need to burn it empty for a couple hours or something?

(blech... ppfftt!)

RossP

All I ever do is clean the V-tray and the racks. Never had a problem with a fishy smell or taste on any other foods after doing Salmon or Steelhead. Does look tasty, go to love Kummok's brine.
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Ka Honu

Tim - We'll be in the city for the weekend.  Can you deliver some samples (609 Sutter, between Mason and Taylor) so I can provide the other forum members with an unbiased review?

Tim SF

Quote from: RossP on November 24, 2009, 07:42:21 PM
All I ever do is clean the V-tray and the racks. Never had a problem with a fishy smell or taste on any other foods after doing Salmon or Steelhead. Does look tasty, go to love Kummok's brine.

hmmm... yeah, I did clean both of those thoroughly. I'll try a little burn after next time.

Thanks.

T

Tim SF

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 24, 2009, 07:57:37 PM
Tim - We'll be in the city for the weekend.  Can you deliver some samples (609 Sutter, between Mason and Taylor) so I can provide the other forum members with an unbiased review?

that'd be fun - "expert" opinions are always welcome. When are you arriving?

squirtthecat

Quote from: Tim SF on November 25, 2009, 09:56:49 AM
Quote from: Ka Honu on November 24, 2009, 07:57:37 PM

that'd be fun - "expert" opinions are always welcome. When are you arriving?

I can just see Tim marching into the Marriott w/ a platter of smoked fish.

Hi, I'm looking for a large turtle wearing a winter jacket..

Quarlow

Hey Timsf, the last thing I smoked was cheese the day after I did a  big batch of smoked salmon and there was no smell, taste or odour transfer, infact the only thing I have ever smelled in the smoker is smoke.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

hal4uk

Dim Thing as New FoodItem

If Thing.EnvelopedInSmoke AndAlso Thing.WinsOdorContest
    Dim AnotherThing as New NoteToSelfCollection
    With AnotherThing
        .Type="NoMoreSmokeForYou"
        .Add(Thing)
        .Save
    End With
End if
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

Chuck everything in the dishwasher again (including the water bowl) and put in a pork butt...   That'll erase any fish (or any) odor remnants.

Did you season the smoker for a few hours before you did the fish?

Tim SF

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 25, 2009, 06:02:53 PM

Did you season the smoker for a few hours before you did the fish?

The smoker was seasoned, then worked out w/ 4 different sessions (all pork). Then the fish..   possibly I imagined all this???