looking for a potluck idea...

Started by squirtthecat, November 23, 2009, 04:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

ArnieM

Thanks for the info and the link squirt.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

rdevous

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 23, 2009, 04:26:29 PM

The crew at work is expecting some kind of smoked goodness from me for our Thanksgiving potluck this Wednesday... 

Well, I don't have time, my alarm goes off at 4:50AM, we ate most of my smoked leftovers Saturday night, and the weather is turning sour tomorrow.

So let's do a "Chopped" episode.

I have in my basket...

- Hurst 15 bean soup mix
- roughly 2.5 pounds of pulled pork (frozen)
- (commercial) turkey smoked sausage (frozen)

In my pantry:

- couple cartons of low sodium chicken broth
- Crystal hot sauce
- couple cans of Hunts fire roasted diced tomatoes
- couple cans of black beans
- various spices of all kinds
- Worcestershire, Liquid smoke, and a few 1/2 open bottles of BBQ sauce

- (and a free trip to the grocery store if we need something else)

I was thinking a pressure cooker 15 bean 'chili' (again, apologies in advance to the chili purists), with the shredded pork and sliced turkey sausage added in after the beans were done. 

Thoughts?

Take the 15 bean mix soak over night as per package instructions.......rinse and drain....put the beans in a big soup pot add some of the pulled pork (amount up to you) or all of the smoked sausage chopped up.....add the chicken broth, the fire roasted tomatoes undrained, one box of chopped spinach.....add water to reach amount of soup desired....season to taste with spices and some hot sauce to taste......simmer a few hours, taste to check spices...when right...enjoy!!!

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

squirtthecat

Quote from: rdevous on November 24, 2009, 09:24:52 AM

Take the 15 bean mix soak over night as per package instructions.......rinse and drain....put the beans in a big soup pot add some of the pulled pork (amount up to you) or all of the smoked sausage chopped up.....add the chicken broth, the fire roasted tomatoes undrained, one box of chopped spinach.....add water to reach amount of soup desired....season to taste with spices and some hot sauce to taste......simmer a few hours, taste to check spices...when right...enjoy!!!

Ray

Hey, thanks Ray!   I'll do that next time for 'us'. (and not the vultures at work ;))

seemore

Squirt, sounds like you have an awesome dish for the potluck!  Wish we had smellovision on this forum........
Mrs S

classicrockgriller

there goes squirt thinking out of the box again.

You need to play in the next ICB.

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 24, 2009, 10:30:01 AM
there goes squirt thinking out of the box again.

You need to play in the next ICB.

Thanks, but I need to keep practicing before I go there..     :D

[edit]

And the idea for adding the pulled pork came from KyMakNola..

I will still have some pork left over, so I grabbed a bag of pintos at the store.  Will play with those some other time.

KyNola

If it works, yes it was my idea.  If not, I was never on this thread!  One thing STC, the pork may have a tendency to cook apart and it get kind of stringy if left in there a long time.. That doesn't bother me at all but I wouldn't want you to get a big surprise when you looked in the pot.

KyNola

squirtthecat

Quote from: KyNola on November 24, 2009, 11:41:23 AM
If it works, yes it was my idea.  If not, I was never on this thread!  One thing STC, the pork may have a tendency to cook apart and it get kind of stringy if left in there a long time.. That doesn't bother me at all but I wouldn't want you to get a big surprise when you looked in the pot.

KyNola

Thanks, it's a bit stringy as is, so I'll put it in towards the end after the beans are all happy happy.
It can soak up the chili flavors overnight.   

I'll plug the crockpot back in around 6:30 when I get to the office, and everything should be nice and hot by Noon.

Hal, if you weren't working all the way on the N end of town, you could swing by for a bowl!