3 Days = 3 Smokes

Started by jsampso, December 01, 2009, 04:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsampso

Last night I smoked a Pork Butt in the BDS and it came out pretty good. The people at work liked it. While smoking it overnight I cut myself short on time not realizing the PB would take so long. After 10 hours at 220F my IT was 170F and wanted 195F. I boated it to the oven and baked at 320F then lowered to 220F for two hours while wrapped in foil. It seemed to have worked. The pork was tasty and pulled apart easily. I got lucky.

I have been skating by on ignorance and would like to hear from the experienced crew. Here are some questions.

How long does 1 pork butt typically take to smoke to a IT of 195F at 220F?
Is 195F the IT temp I should be cooking to for a PB ?
Is it best to finish the whole job in the smoker or boat to the oven?
When boating do you wrap in foil or leave uncovered?
What temp should the oven be?

Thanks Jim

Wildcat

Pork Butt is pretty easy and very forgiving. There is nothing wrong with what you did. As long as you like the results it does not really matter. Everyone has their own way of doing them. Many on here cook at 220 or higher. Personally I do the entire cook in the smoker and cook at 205 or less to an internal of around 180 to 190. For me, I like the smoker to have good quality time with the butt so I cook at lower temps than some. It generally takes me about 18 to 20 hours for 1 butt, around 24 to 26 for 2 butts.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

Quote from: jsampso on December 01, 2009, 04:06:18 PM
How long does 1 pork butt typically take to smoke to a IT of 195F at 220F?

14 to 24 hours

Is 195F the IT temp I should be cooking to for a PB ?

You will get a lot of different answers, but I do mine to 195-200F

Is it best to finish the whole job in the smoker or boat to the oven?

You can do it either way.
I finish most of mine in the oven.

When boating do you wrap in foil or leave uncovered?

wrap

What temp should the oven be?

I use 200-205F
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

watchdog56

I just did one sat. night. I set smoker at 220 and it took 15 hours to get IT to 195. The pulled off and foil,towel and cooler for 6 hours(would have like 2 hours but company was coming in afternoon). Pork was excellent and still warm. Put the rest in vacuum bags and in freezer. Pulled some out tonight for supper and it is still moist and good flavor. Definitely will have to do more of these as this was my first.

ronbeaux

Pork seems to be my best chance at getting to the top 10 or higher in comps. I don't use the Bradley cause they won't let me, but since getting mine I tried to make it work like I do at a comp. I try to hold 250 and steady. I found that I was closer to 235 when using the OBS and I knew it would take a little longer. Instead of set your watch at 12 hours at 250, it took 14. Same results but no smoke ring. I usually pull at 190 ish and boat and let rest. It will pull and will still be moist.

I've only cooked one on the OBS and it rated right up there with any that I have cooked. I put mine in a Cambro so I know it will climb up in temp a few degrees, same as in a cooler all wrapped up, and then start to decrease. The rest time is important as it lets it settle down. If you put some juice in the foil when you wrap it it will pull some back into the meat as it cools, and lets you use the juice to make a sauce.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

watchdog56

I also have a programmable PID so it holds the temp +/- 1 degree. Pretty sweet when you need to trust it while you are sleeping.

jsampso