First jerky on the OBS

Started by ronbeaux, December 06, 2009, 11:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronbeaux

No, it's not done yet.

But it is smelling really good! I rotated the racks after 1.5 hours and bumped a little heat to it. It was 100F and smoking real good with vents wide open. I'll try and settle it in on 150 as suggested.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

OU812

Passionately waiting, aint the waiting game fun?

NePaSmoKer

Bump it up, just dont go above 180*

nepas

ronbeaux

Yep, it's fun. But now I'm hungry and gotta cook something to hold me over. Momma is up and growling, I mean her stomach is growling........

Going to 180

KyNola

Ron,
10.5 knows a lot about smoking foods and such but obviously doesn't know squat about women. DO NOT take his advice and lock her up for 10 days and then go back and see about her.  She would make Tiger Wood's wife seem like a nun or Mother Teresa! :D

Take care of momma.

Jerky's looking good!

KyNola

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 08, 2009, 07:51:36 AM
Quote from: ronbeaux on December 08, 2009, 05:01:47 AM
Momma is laid up like Jed Clampet's hound.

She need an Easy Button??

Amen brother, that baby really works.

ronbeaux

Momma's taking the good stuff!

I got hungry waiting on the jerky so I made a sammich

Been holding 160 for a few hours now and just finished another flip around. The small ones may have to start coming off pretty soon.

classicrockgriller

u keep the jerky and send me the sandwich.

BOTH look great!

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 08, 2009, 11:00:12 AM
u keep the jerky and send me the sandwich.

BOTH look great!

Looking gooood.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: KyNola on December 08, 2009, 07:49:02 AM
Ron,
10.5 knows a lot about smoking foods and such but obviously doesn't know squat about women. DO NOT take his advice and lock her up for 10 days and then go back and see about her.  She would make Tiger Wood's wife seem like a nun or Mother Teresa! :D

Take care of momma.

Jerky's looking good!

KyNola

;D ;D ;D
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ronbeaux

OK. It's been 7 hours and the little pieces look like this:

Not crunchy, not tender, not tough. Probably lost more than 1/2 body weight. I like the texture so this is what I'm going for. Fixing to go out and grab all the little ones and let the big continue on.

Comments?

Hopefull Romantic

like what you are planning to do Ron. Sorta like maintaining the better race of JERKY.  ;D ;D
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Looks like a good plan Ron I would run with it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ronbeaux

I am basically done, with only about 12 pieces left on there that were thicker and need a little more time. THIS is why I bought the OBS. Even with the slide adjustment all it took was a little patience to nail 150 and go about doing other things. Like the dishes, the laundry, making beds, feeding the dog, sacking the trash, painting the fence....... Wait, that sounds like a country song and I haven't quit dranking. In fact these babies were made for beer!!!

The two hours of hickory were just right and I made them on the milder side so the Mrs would eat some. All in all I give them 3 thumbs up!!

I'm now moving on to another project with the OBS. Haven't narrowed it down yet but will tomorrow. Boudin?? Smoked Boudin perhaps?? I just happen to have some casings and some duck to sub for liver. In fact I think I even have some calf liver in the freezer. Plenty of left over brisket too.