SALMON - Brine and air dry today, smoke tomorrow morning?

Started by Smokeville, December 08, 2009, 06:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

I've done quite a bit of salmon, but it has always been brining overnight, air drying to form the pellicle in the morning, and smoking right after that the same day.

Would there be any problem with brining today, air drying this evening, and smoking in the morning? I'm a bit short on time and want to brine for as long as possible. Plus, I'd like it to be warm when I take it to a Christmas party.

If it will work well, what's the best way to store the salmon overnight?

Thanks, Rich

Tenpoint5

Are you asking if you can air dry in the fridge to get the pellicle over night yes I believe it has been done.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

That is how I did mine. Overnight dry in the refrigerator.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

3rensho

Drying overnight in the fridge works a treat.  That's how I do all of mine.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Smokeville

Thanks, all. Actually I was planning to air dry the salmon before storing it overnight, but your advice sounds great. I had read that Alton Brown didn't like letting it dry in the fridge but I don't know why.....

So I'll let it brine brine brine and put it in the fridge later tonight....

Thanks!

Kummok

Never dried mine in the reefer but have recommended it to those in really warm areas....I'm guessing that AB doesn't like it because of odor migration to/from the fish?!?!?

Smokeville

I didn't read his reason why.... but anyway I tried it and it worked well.

I smoked a 2.5lb side, and took about 1.5lb to the staff lunch..... it lasted about 20 minutes...

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smokeville on December 09, 2009, 07:16:13 PM

I smoked a 2.5lb side, and took about 1.5lb to the staff lunch..... it lasted about 20 minutes...

Sounds like all is GOOD in Smokeville!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokeville

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 09, 2009, 07:45:18 PM
Quote from: Smokeville on December 09, 2009, 07:16:13 PM

Sounds like all is GOOD in Smokeville!!

Yeah, it was watching a hoover vacuum. Even my wife and daughter-in-law can't eat it that quick.

BTW I'm allergic to salmon..... :( :'(

Kummok

How about allergy to whitefish...halibut, cod, etc? Just curious, wondering if the White King salmon could be a workaround.. ;)

Smokeville

Quote from: Kummok on December 10, 2009, 08:20:20 AM
How about allergy to whitefish...halibut, cod, etc? Just curious, wondering if the White King salmon could be a workaround.. ;)

My allergies are weird: shrimp. lobster, crab (which are all crustaceans) and salmon. Probably char, which I recall having a reaction to long ago, and is the same family. What is totally weird is I'm not allergic to rainbow trout, which is also a member of the salmon family. The difference is in the fresh/salt water, I think.

And that makes me suspect that diet plays a part (theirs, not mine...). Saltwater fish eat a lot of crustaceans.

I also wondered about White King Salmon when I checked out your photos of the salmon you smoked when i asked about Sablefish.

I would love to try some but I don't enjoy hanging over the toilet... at least it's not life threatening like some people's reactions.

electricshaman

Want to smoke some salmon.  Correct me if wrong, brine overnight, dry in fridge( can you dry overnight) and smoke appx 6 hours at 150 f.  Any advice is appreicated.
Thanks

Kummok

For more detailed advice on brining/pellicle forming/times@temps, see: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.0

Don't hesitate to come back w/ ?s if that doesn't clear things up for you, electricshaman....