crab boil without the crabs

Started by squirtthecat, December 09, 2009, 11:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Quote from: ronbeaux on December 09, 2009, 01:17:55 PM
Try you rice cooker ;D

You beat me to it!

I'll set it up out in the driveway and stir it with a boat oar like your video...    :D

ronbeaux

That ain't no boat ore! It's a custom made jambalaya paddle!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

squirtthecat

Quote from: ronbeaux on December 09, 2009, 01:33:09 PM
That ain't no boat ore! It's a custom made jambalaya paddle!

I know, I was just busting your chops..   ;D

And for what shrimp cost around here, I won't be putting them in the pressure cooker!

classicrockgriller

squirt you will have fun with that. the corn and the potatoes are fantastic in crab boil. I enjoy that as much as the shrimp and crayfish.

ronbeaux

Little tip when doing corn in the crab boil. Add a cup of sugar to the pot, well my pot anyway. Anyway, point is that the sugar will help tame the corn so it's not so harsh. It tends to really soak up the seasonings, like mushrooms. It won't affect the shrimps all that much. Don't get me wrong, I like spicy food, but flaming lips from gnawing on COTC soaked in red pepper is a little too much.

squirtthecat

Quote from: ronbeaux on December 09, 2009, 02:02:25 PM
Little tip when doing corn in the crab boil. Add a cup of sugar to the pot, well my pot anyway

Good to know!   

Just how big was that pot you used in the video??   You said you had like 30+ pounds of crawfish in it..

ronbeaux

That was a 38lb sack into a 120qt pot. The FIL had my REAL propane burner or it would have been much much louder. Normally sacks around here range from 38lbs for the 'Select' meaning big ass crawfish to 52lbs for whatever is left over.

squirtthecat

WOW!

Thanks again for the sugar tip..    I'm looking at a 4 quart 'boil' to begin with.   ::)

ronbeaux

Well then you sure don't want to put the whole cup of sugar in there ;D

squirtthecat

Quote from: ronbeaux on December 09, 2009, 07:08:19 PM
Well then you sure don't want to put the whole cup of sugar in there ;D

Yeah, I'll do some ciphering first...   ;)

Pachanga

Squirt,

As previously mentioned, shrimp just needs a quick, little dip or it is tough.  I was in a quandary over tough and spicy shrimp or mild tender shrimp.  The spices just didn't penetrate the shell on shrimp if they were lightly boiled; at least for my taste.

I have started soaking the shrimp in the cold crab boil and water solution for a while.  Remove the shrimp, bring up the boil, add a can of pickled jalapenos with juice, then throw in the shrimp for a quick dip.  Pull them while still rare and let the carryover heat finish things off.

Drain well and serve with the jalapenos interspersed with the shrimp.  The result is a spicy yet tender delight.

Serve with Pachanga Red;

This is a quick and easy Red sauce that tastes better than anything you buy in a bottle.

3/8 cup Ketchup
3/8cup chili sauce
1 Heaping Tablespoon Creamed  Horseradish
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire

Good luck and quick boiling,

Pachanga

squirtthecat

Quote from: Pachanga on December 10, 2009, 02:14:03 AM
This is a quick and easy Red sauce that tastes better than anything you buy in a bottle.

3/8 cup Ketchup
3/8 cup chili sauce
1 Heaping Tablespoon Creamed  Horseradish
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire

Thanks Pachanga.  That looks similar to a sauce Hal's sister puts together for shrimp...  Good stuff.

KyNola

Interesting technique Pachanga. I like that idea. 

Because shrimp takes such a short time to cook, I have taken to boiling shrimp without the shell unless I'm doing 10-15 pounds worth because as Pachanga says, no longer than they can stay in the boil, they don't have an opportunity to really soak up the flavor.  I use the liquid crawfish boil and If I'm just doing 2-3 pounds for Jan and me, I really up the amount of liquid that goes in the water and bring it to a rolling boil along with lemon juice, lemon halves and extra Tony Chacere's dry cajun seasoning in the water.  Don't stick your head over the pot unless you choose not to breathe for a while.  I throw the peeled shrimp into the boiling water, put a lid on it and immediately turn off the heat.  Through trial and error I have learned that in exactly 7 minutes, they are perfectly done and I get them out of the water immediately.

KyNola   

Pachanga

KyNola,

I will be giving your technique a try.  I'm a Tony's fan myself but use Old Bay some also.  I would be interested in your preferred brand of liquid crawfish boil.

Thanks for the timing information.  It takes lots of experimentation to figure that out. 

Good luck and let it boil,

Pachanga

KyNola

Pachanga,
I like the Zatarain's liquid crab boil.  I have also used Rex's before as well.  Rex's is hard for me to find locally.  Like I said, because they're only going to be in there 7 minutes, I double or maybe triple the amount of liquid crab boil that the bottle calls for. 

I have used Old Bay in place of Tony's as well too.

You really intrigued me with putting the shrimp in a cold crab boil.  Would never have thought of that but it makes sense.  Here's what I'm thinking about.  Using your technique, peel some shrimp and put them in the cold crab boil solution for a while.  Take them out, pat them dry, allow to form a pellicle and then smoke those babies.

KyNola