So Your Brisket Doesn't Fit - Solution Here

Started by Pachanga, December 12, 2009, 10:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachanga

The Problem

12 to 14 plus pound packer cut briskets and even smaller are too long to fit in the Bradley. However, after smoking, they will shrink and fit easily. Some accomplished smokers like to divide the point from the flat and barbeque separately.  That is a good method and works fine. 

I still like to barbeque my packer cuts whole, so I have a problem.  A solution that I use regularly is as follows:

The Solution

This brisket still in the cryovac is too long for the Bradley rack.

Bend it in the middle like an inverted  U.  Use the basket edges to help maintain the shape.
It will shrink to fit while smoking and the inverted U will disappear.

This brisket appears too long to ever fit in the Bradley.  Look closely, it is hanging off of both ends.

Same brisket fitted into the basket by lifting in the middle.

This photo is about halfway to done with several more hours to go.  All of these briskets were too long.  After shrinkage, they are fine.  Compressing the flat makes it thicker and may even help retain moisture and cook more evenly.

For long thin briskets with thin flats another method works well.  The following is an excerpt from Brisket Pachanga at the Old's and Habenero recipe site (http://www.susanminor.org/).

"Sometimes the brisket is still too long to fit, even after bending it. One reason I find that a brisket is too long is usually the brisket is very thin toward the end of the flat. Measure the brisket against your Bradley rack. Cut the thinnest part off and lay it fat side down under the thinnest part of the main brisket which is fat side up. If you match the taper of both pieces of meat by matching thick to thin, you will end up with a uniform thickness that smokes evenly and retains moisture well. No one will know the difference when serving."

Good Luck and Low Shrinkage,

Pachanga

squirtthecat

Bend It Like Pachanga

I was looking at some whole packers at Sam's, and thought "how on Earth would I get that to fit"??

Might try one next Friday night!

Old_Sarge

Speaking as a man, I never thought I'd see the day when I considered shrinkage a good thing...

Pachanga

Old Sarge,

When I was writing that piece, I kept thinking about an old Seinfeld episode where shrinkage was the subject.  I thought others would probably think similarly.

I finished up the piece as follows for a reason:

QuoteGood Luck and Low Shrinkage,

Pachanga

KevinG

Quote from: Pachanga on December 13, 2009, 07:49:17 AM
Old Sarge,

When I was writing that piece, I kept thinking about an old Seinfeld episode where shrinkage was the subject.  I thought others would probably think similarly.

I finished up the piece as follows for a reason:

QuoteGood Luck and Low Shrinkage,

Pachanga

"It shrinks? I don't know how you guys walk around with those things."  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Old_Sarge

Ha...I was thinking Seinfeld, too.

BTW, that brisket I cut & stacked is coming along nicely. Slight glitch this morning when I went out early to change the water pan. Somehow in the process I snagged the temperature slider and took it all the way to the left. Luckily I caught it a little while later. Lost a couple of degrees IT, but everything's on track now and it should be at an IT of 195 in about 3 hours or so and ready for FTC.  There's not much left of the trimmings on the top shelf, there's lots of moist bark on the brisket, and it smells fantastic. That's one thing with the Bradley...using a wood burner, you don't get the pure, savory smell of the meat during the cooking process w/out a smokey background odor (not a bad thing; just different).

I actually took pics this time; I'll post the series when it's all done.

Pachanga

Pachanga

Old Sarge,

The digital Bradley shuts off after 9 hours and 40 minutes.  I had a brain lapse one time (ok, there has been more than one) and just couldn't figure out why the temperature rise was so slow.  Then it started going down.  If there are no lights, the thing is shut down.  Alcohol may have been a contributing factor.

I look forward to your photos and report.  I want to know your thoughts on the apple juice soaked trimmings and the brisket shortening method for the Gene Simmons brisket.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga 

Old_Sarge

Pachanga, I'll do my best to provide useful input. This is my first time using trimmings for autobasting, so I don't know how I will be able to quantify the difference between apple juice/vinegar-soaked trimmings and unadulterated ones. Too many variables to successfully apply the scientific method due to lack of previous data. Still, I'll try to be more specific than "damned tasty!"

My initial thought process was based on the fact that many pit masters like to add various liquids and other adjuncts to the water pan. A heavier, lipid-based solution is likely to result in a more persistent presence on the surface of the brisket than anything carried in ambient steam, especially since most folks on this forum advocate running the smoker with the vent more than halfway open throughout the process. I've always wondered if adding ingredients to the water pan actually contributed to the flavor of the meat or just produced an aesthetic olfactory effect outside the smoker. This, of course, only applies when one does not mop or spritz the Q.

I'll have to sample the bark and let you know for sure. Any influence from the infused trimmings should be detectable, since I didn't mop the brisket and am pretty familiar with the base flavor of brisket bark w/ Willie's Number One-derful Rub.

Good lord I sound like some sort of culinary scientist. Somebody slap me and hand me a beer.

tsquared

Re the brisket being too large. I have also leaned a second rack up against the side of the smoker with the base on the rack the brisket is on so the tail end of the flat goes up the sloped rack--works great.
T2

Pachanga

tsquared,

Another good idea.  Thanks for adding to the discussion.

Good luck and here is to making it fit,

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

When I did my first brisket in the Bradley it weight 13.13lbs and it too didn't fit in the racks.

I really didn't want to disect my first Brisket.

Like Pachanga and "others" have stated bend it to fit and you will be surprised as to how
quick the brisket will shrink and lay right down.

rmaggio

Pachanga,

I have read number of your posts...and great work.  I just got my bradley..on monday to be exact..and I had a question when doing the brisket.

Do you smoke with the bisquettes for only four hours and then the rest of the time with the heat?

Sorry I am new to this and trying to figure things out.

Thanks

FLBentRider

Quote from: rmaggio on December 23, 2009, 12:21:42 AM
Pachanga,

I have read number of your posts...and great work.  I just got my bradley..on monday to be exact..and I had a question when doing the brisket.

Do you smoke with the bisquettes for only four hours and then the rest of the time with the heat?

Sorry I am new to this and trying to figure things out.

Thanks

W E L C O M E  to the Forum rmaggio!

Yes, most of us smoke for at most 4 hours and then continue to cook to our desired Internal Temperature.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Pachanga

rmaggio,

I appreciate your taking the time to read some of my posts.  I hope they contribute to your smoking success.  Like any smoker, you will need to get to know your Bradley.  You will find it to be a good tool that makes smoking easy.  Brisket, like all things in life, is easy once you know how.

I do not think there is a wrong answer as to smoke time.  It is a preference item.  It will also depend on the wood type.  Some woods are overpowering, others very mild.  I do not know what wood FlBentRider uses, but for him, four hours is perfect.

I use mostly apple, 1/4 hickory (or less) and 1/4 oak (or less) with a few pucks of mesquite thrown in.  I load the Bradley to the top and let it go.  When that is finished,  I add a few more pucks and then I stop the smoke.  About two hours before finishing, I fire the smoker back up again, finishing with the same blend.  This is the procedure for three or four briskets but I also use it on a single with maybe a few less pucks.  I am smoking most of the time with only 4 or so hours of shut down time.

I arrived at this formula by no apparent reasoning.  I just liked it.  I enjoy the smoke smell rising out of the smoker and that is what I was familiar with using stick burners.  I went to apple because it is a mild wood.  I used some stronger woods and they were just that; too strong for long term smoking.  Using these milder woods costs more money where a stronger wood could be used less and probably achieve similar results.  The enjoyment of smoke wafting through the air is worth a few pucks to me.

If I were looking for a shorter smoke time, I would use oak, hickory and a few pucks of mesquite.

If in doubt, smoke this first brisket with less rather than more.  Too much smoke can hurt your product.  The next time, adjust by adding more until you hit to your personal preference set point.

Again, I just enjoy the smoke rise.

Good luck and prolonged smoking,

Pachanga