Smoking in extreme cold

Started by Nomad, December 14, 2009, 08:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

I have the bradley digital. Does anybody have any idea how hot it will get with outside temperatures around -35 C(-31F) with wind chill down to -50C(-58F). I have some turkey I need to smoke. I've waited a couple of days for it to warm up but looks like it's not going to happen.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Nomad on December 14, 2009, 08:10:02 AM
I have the bradley digital. Does anybody have any idea how hot it will get with outside temperatures around -35 C(-31F) with wind chill down to -50C(-58F). I have some turkey I need to smoke. I've waited a couple of days for it to warm up but looks like it's not going to happen.

You might have some trouble with the digital control working. -31f /-58f wc WOWSERS to cold for this guy to be out smokin.

Tenpoint5

You might want to set the digital up and smoke inside the garage. The controller may have some issues with it being that cold outside. As well as the puck pusher. The grease may not want to let things move like they should. I will let one of the way north fella's give you a better answer.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

WOW -31 F makes my knees hurt just thinking about it.

JT-MO

I wouldn't think it would work in that temp, that is pretty cold!

I would try to rig up a heated garage, shed, or something similar with like some sort of vent hood installed to suck out the smoke.

Nomad

Thanks for the replies. The cold is here for another few days so I'm not going to risk damage to the smoker. I'll cook the turkey in the slow cooker.

hal4uk

Hi Nomad, Welcome to the forum!

B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BRRRRRRRRRRR....
Minus WHAT???...

Well, this is slightly involved, but it will work: 
1) Set the Smoker in the middle of the biggest room you have.
2) Wrap it up with old towels, newspaper and such.
3) Carefully, put the whole thing in a cardboard box and tape it shut.
4) Do the same thing thing with all the rest of your stuff.
5) Call a moving van.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Huntnfreak

Nomad- welcome to the forum and I thought I had it bad!  I'm dealing with about -16* F.  Where are you at?  I won't get those temps for another month or so.  The good thing is it will give you lots of time to fill the freezer with things to smoke.  The nice thing about being below freezing for 5 months here in Minnesota is that I have a really big freezer right outside my back door!  Good luck getting a "warm" day and happy smoking!!

Mr Walleye

Nomad

We are at a nice balmy -44C tonite. Just about time to my winter jacket out.  ::)

At these temps the wind is your enemy. As the others have indicated you really need to protect the unit from the wind. I have mine setup in a heated garage because of our winters (Saskatchewan). I have also added a second element and I also control them with a PID so I have no problem getting up to temp. One thing to do is remove the generator and store it in a plastic tote in the house. This way the smoke generator will already be warm. Another thing you will have to do is allow plenty of time for preheating and open the as little as possible.

Yup... -44C tonite and it's supposed to be +2C on Thursday!  :o

Talk about having temp swings!  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

RAF128

Quote from: Mr Walleye on December 14, 2009, 07:28:52 PM
Nomad

Yup... -44C tonite and it's supposed to be +2C on Thursday!  :o

Talk about having temp swings!  ::)

Mike

You must be in Calgary.   Only place I know where temp change that much.
My smoker is set up in the heated garage and although it's -30 C outside, it's +15C (60F) inside ;) and in the morning I'm smoking some pepperoni beer sticks.

Mr Walleye

The Sticks sound great RAF!  ;)

Moose Jaw is home for me... We pretty much get all the weather that flows through Calgary though. If I remember correctly your in 'Toon Town. Your probably having similar weather to us.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Hopefull Romantic

Man I sure am glad I only hear about those temps and have to live with them. -44 C, holly crap that is cold.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

RAF128

Sounds to me that you're a walleye fisherman.    No finer fresh fish in my mind.    Someday, if I ever have any left over ;), I'll smoke some.

Nomad

Quote from: hal4uk on December 14, 2009, 04:48:26 PM
Hi Nomad, Welcome to the forum!

B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BRRRRRRRRRRR....
Minus WHAT???...

Well, this is slightly involved, but it will work: 
1) Set the Smoker in the middle of the biggest room you have.
2) Wrap it up with old towels, newspaper and such.
3) Carefully, put the whole thing in a cardboard box and tape it shut.
4) Do the same thing thing with all the rest of your stuff.
5) Call a moving van.

LOL, But what would I do with my snowblower and all my snow shovels?

Nomad

Quote from: Huntnfreak on December 14, 2009, 05:34:56 PM
Nomad- welcome to the forum and I thought I had it bad!  I'm dealing with about -16* F.  Where are you at?  I won't get those temps for another month or so.  The good thing is it will give you lots of time to fill the freezer with things to smoke.  The nice thing about being below freezing for 5 months here in Minnesota is that I have a really big freezer right outside my back door!  Good luck getting a "warm" day and happy smoking!!

I live in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta which is just outside of Edmonton up here in the Great White North. We're setting all kinds of temperature records right now. We hit -46*C the other night. We could use a little global warming up here.  ;D