• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Spice Recipes for Family & Friends

Started by classicrockgriller, December 15, 2009, 01:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I have vac pack smoked meats (asst) smoked cheese (asst) that I will be giving to my family and some friends for christmas.

I will like to give them an assortment of various seasonings.

I've made Jan's Rub and Magic Dust.

I'm looking for more of an overall seasoning than I am for a rub. Not many of them smoke or grill.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

squirtthecat

Maybe smoke a few pounds of salt, peppercorns, paprika, and then package those up in little containers.

classicrockgriller

Great idea! Smoked salt and smoked coarse ground black pepper.

FLBentRider

Jan's rub is as universal as it gets on here.

I've put it in burgers, on baked chicken, in scrambled eggs, on baked fish....

You could just about use it anywhere you would seasoned salt.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ka Honu

CRG - Good thing I'm here to offer you the complete solution to your problem.  Send me a couple of packs of the meat & cheese and I will do the arduous research required to find the perfect seasoning match for each gift.

No need to thank me - I live to make sure my friends don't make serious Christmas present faux pas.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Ka Honu on December 15, 2009, 02:59:21 PM
CRG - Good thing I'm here to offer you the complete solution to your problem.  Send me a couple of packs of the meat & cheese and I will do the arduous research required to find the perfect seasoning match for each gift.

No need to thank me - I live to make sure my friends don't make serious Christmas present faux pas.

knew I could count on you!

pensrock

Ka Honu is always willing to go that extra mile for a friend. BTW, I'm sure the shipping is less to send the goodies to me.  ;) ;D ;D

Ka Honu

Quote from: pensrock on December 15, 2009, 03:18:15 PMBTW, I'm sure the shipping is less to send the goodies to me.

Probably so but your tastebuds are pretty much frozen this time of year so testing wouldn't be nearly as precise and meticulous as it will be under the swaying palms of Kailua Beach.

pensrock

Mr Walleye

CRG

Here is a Creole recipe I used on the turkey I did the other night. I'll definitely be using it again. 

Creole Rub

3 Tbs salt
1 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1 Tbs onion powder
1 Tbs cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp dried oregano

Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and stir to blend. Store in an airtight container.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

classicrockgriller

Thanks Mike, gonna make a batch and give it a try.

Ka Honu

For a good creole/cajun spice rub, I make up a batch of Emeril's Essence (Bam!), leaving out the salt and adding a tablespoon of chili powder.  Worth a try.

classicrockgriller

hey thanks Ka Honu ! had forgotten about Essence.

hal4uk

Squirt brought me some "Lowcountry Seasoning" from 82 Queen Street in Charleston, SC.

It's very tasty, and could be used on practically anything (you said you were thinking an "overall" seasoning).
Don't know the proportions, but here's what it says on the jar:

Kosher Salt, Smoked Salt, Garlic, Onion, Evaporated Cane Juice, Black Pepper, Paprika, Bay Leaves, and Parsley Flakes.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby