Which one?

Started by godcalledsausage, March 17, 2005, 09:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

godcalledsausage

I am about to purchase a smoke house. Smoker will be used to smoke godly, tasty... well sausages. Never will anything else go into my smoker, just sausages.

Now, I do need advice which smokehose to purchase. One option is to go with Bradley. The second choice could be observed here:

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=955

Here would be very appriciated effort of experienced smokers to advice me which of those two will be prefered choice, having on mind for what smokehouse will be used (only sasage).

Of course, if there is some other choices, please advise me.

Regards

Habanero Smoker

I am not familiar with sausage making, but there are others on this board that have a lot of experience in making sausage. With that disclaimer here is my two cents worth. It looks like a good product, and SuasageMaker.com has a good reputation for their service and the products they sell. I took a quick look, and it looks like a good product. They did not do a good job describing the smoker's capabilities, and/or what additional accessories you may need. The max/min temperature is not given.

I would send them an e-mail and request more information and/or a product manual. Most manufacturers now have their manuals in pdf format, and they should be able to send you one by e-mail.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jaeger

I would agree with Habanero, it looks like a nice smoker.
The size of the <u>inside</u> cabinet is close to the same size. It is APPRX. 2"wider and 2"deeper. The heighth is the major difference. The Bradley is over 25". This is a 5"+ advantage.
The 1000watt element will assumably offer a hotter temp. capability. The Bradley wattage is not as high. The smoke generator on the Bradley will be hands down more efficient and easy to use. This feature on the Bradley will stand up to any smoke system on the market, commercial or otherwise.
IMHO, the main positive on the SausagemakerSmoker, is higher wattage. <font size="3"><b>I don't think this is that much of an advantage in regards to making sausage.</b></font id="size3"> The reason I say this is, the most important steps of cooking/smoking sausage is the initial drying stage prior to applying smoke. This is where your technique will make or break you. You will be using a low box temp and the Bradley can handle no problem. Next is the smoke stage. Again, the Bradley is superior. Your last stage will be finishing the product to your desired internal temperature. When I close the damper on my Bradley, the internal temp rises fast. You will not have a problem in this step with the Bradley. IMO, this takes away the advantage of the higher wattage.
In review, the wattage is not a factor, the smoke in the BS is superior and the larger heighth of the Bradley is definetly a positive.
Hope this is of assistance in your study.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

whitetailfan

Jaeger makes some excellent points!
You are not going to hear bad Bradley things around here, but I honestly think we are pretty impartial cause we dont care if you buy one or not.
The smoke generator is really what you are buying with the Bradley, read the features on the main website.  As far as the heating element goes, I agree with Jaeger again.  I smoke sausage at no more than 180 deg, so the increased wattage does not hold as a factor to me.
Good Luck

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Bassman

Divine Sausage,
I have made quite a bit of sausage in the Bradley. IMO It can't be beat.Reason is the smoke generator.You don't have to keep opening the door and losing heat. Also, I like laying my sausage on racks (easy Kirk)as opposed to hanging it.The advantage is the bottom of the rings don't get burned or hard from getting to hot.my 2 cents

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Oldman

Well I'm going to add my 2 cents... I've been smokin' for over fourty years...damn that makes me old LOL!

I started as a boy with my Polish Grandfather makeing sauage. If I wish to smoke at 140 degrees and maintain a real flow of smoke I can. At 80 degrees I can... this is something that I was never able to do with a smoker generator as shown in the option you posted. To keep that type of wood burning you will need more heat than required by the Bradley unit.

Furthermore, unless there has been a major improvment as of late, those types of burners really burn the wood and can cause a tarring taste if not stayed on top of. Let's face it. Those types of smoke generators burn from the bottom up. After awhile the burn via the heat source has to pass through burnt wood. Thus it is subjected to a burned flavor being added.

Their generator is nothing but a 1000 watt hot plate that doubles in order to maintain the heat level you want. To hot turn it down but then the flow of your smoke lowers.

If you are doing pulled pork with rubs and stuff on it that is not an issue. If you make refind sauage as I do it is a big point of contention.

Nothing wrong with that unit at all. However, if you are truly a sauage ,only, maker then I just about bet given your posting you are a refind sausage maker. Why not go with the best refind smoker?

In fact the reason I purchased not one but 3 units is I'm a very refind sauage maker. Until Mother passes I'm forbidden to share my Grandfather's recipe for Polish sauage. I'm forbidden to even share pictures of the finished product. Mother ways are from the old country, and I will abide by her wishes until that time comes.

Nevertheless, if is out there I've own it, made it, or stole the idea. Nothing before that I have had compairs to the bradley.

If you purchase the Bradley from Chez Bubba (admin on this site) and don't like it let me know. I will give you a fair price for it against your cost. There is a family down the street that would really like to have one but are as poor as a church mouse.

If you do purchase it from Chez call him direct instead of going through his web site. It will save you much in shipping. Plus all future pucks purchase from him are at a 10% discount.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

nsxbill

This the one I want and ultimately will be purchasing because of the versatility, and because I already have half of the package, the Procom4...I bought the Procom4 because I ultimately want to do more, but want something to knock down.  Check this out. http://thebbqguru.com/Caldera.htm.  Convertable, grill or smoke..control at 90°, or turn it loose for higher temps.  Convection fan to stir the heat.  Multiple level temp monitoring, Fairly large capacity, and fits in a trunk of a car (With big springs).

Haven't even done sausage yet in the BS or anything else, but certainly plan to take that plunge soon.  This is at the top of my list of next toys!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

Interesting unit... I did not call for pricing.. you got any idea of it?

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

nsxbill

I already have the Procom.  Without the controller, it is $1200.  They offer a special on this once in awhile.

http://thebbqguru.com/caldera_pricing.htm

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

tsquared

I have no experienced opinion on the merits of sausage making whatsoever. With that quickly out of the way, I just wanted to comment on your name![:D][8D][8D]Love it.

Oldman

Concerning his name IMO if God has a favorite food it is sauage~~!

Olds

godcalledsausage

Boys,
thanks for your opinions. It is appreciated.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />I already have the Procom.  Without the controller, it is $1200.  They offer a special on this once in awhile.

http://thebbqguru.com/caldera_pricing.htm

Bill

Bill,

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Bill,
Do you know what the total weight is? I had plans on purchasing a 6' Rotisserie Barbeque Pit Smoker next year or in 2007, but this would meet my needs and save me a lot of money.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

gotbbq

HS

Total weight is 175 lbs[^][^][^]

gotbbq

gotbbq

Hey Bill-

I also have a strong intrest in the caldera.  Any thoughts on checking meat on bottom rack with the opening on top of the unit?  Overall looks like a good unit-

gotbbq