• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

sausage stuffer

Started by bundy, December 18, 2009, 08:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bundy

Any recommendation's on a new stuffer? I want a 10# one but LEM doesn't make one any I want metal gears. Best price and place to buy?
Thanks in advance!

NePaSmoKer

bundy

Thanks NEPA are they metal gears?

OU812

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 18, 2009, 09:01:57 AM
Cabelas 11 pound is nice.

Thats what I got, with the motor, gota love the motor, hands free.
The only prob I have is the plunger dont go all the way down to the bottom, maybe a safety thing but oh well. Whats left in there I make snack sticks.

All metal, works of a rack and pinion set up.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OU812 on December 18, 2009, 09:11:34 AM

The only prob I have is the plunger dont go all the way down to the bottom, maybe a safety thing but oh well. Whats left in there I make snack sticks.

When i was at Cabelas this was the only time we would get them back, Someone yinxed all the way to the bottom chipping a tooth off the gears.

OU812

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 18, 2009, 10:46:07 AM

When i was at Cabelas this was the only time we would get them back, Someone yinxed all the way to the bottom chipping a tooth off the gears.

"yinxed" ??? could you splain ?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OU812 on December 18, 2009, 10:52:14 AM

Ok in splain english  :D   Cranked too far down   :D  ;D

KevinG

Thought I was going to need my cajun translator again for a minute there.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 18, 2009, 12:05:26 PM
Quote from: OU812 on December 18, 2009, 10:52:14 AM

Ok in splain english  :D   Cranked too far down   :D  ;D

Thanks for splainin, NePas

wyogoob

I have the Cabela's motorized 20lb stuffer. It leaves @ 3 pounds of sausage in the bottom. If I knew that I probably would not have bought it.

I have fashioned a spacer out of styrofoam that pushes almost all of the meat out. The hole for the plunger thumb screw serves as a place to insert a finger to pull out the spacer. The styrofoam is forgiving enough to minimize gear stripping. I have put a "stop" reference mark on the plunger shaft.

It's 1/8" smaller in diameter than the cylinder so it doesn't get hung up.

I wash it, let it air dry, and then brush off the debris the best I can.

Life's been good to me so far.

OU812

wyogoob, I tryed the styrofoam thing and it didnt fair to good, I used the blue foam and the edges started to crush and let more and more past every time I used it, total of three times, maybe.

What color did you use?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: wyogoob on December 18, 2009, 02:22:41 PM
I have the Cabela's motorized 20lb stuffer. It leaves @ 3 pounds of sausage in the bottom. If I knew that I probably would not have bought it.

I have fashioned a spacer out of styrofoam that pushes almost all of the meat out. The hole for the plunger thumb screw serves as a place to insert a finger to pull out the spacer. The styrofoam is forgiving enough to minimize gear stripping. I have put a "stop" reference mark on the plunger shaft.

Have you thought about spraying peel ease on it? I use it, works great.  http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/787

My LEM 5 lb goes all the way down, dont have enough meat to even make a mini stick  :D

wyogoob

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 18, 2009, 02:34:16 PM
Quote from: wyogoob on December 18, 2009, 02:22:41 PM

Have you thought about spraying peel ease on it? I use it, works great.  http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/787

My LEM 5 lb goes all the way down, dont have enough meat to even make a mini stick  :D

Peel ease is a good idea. I have some.

Does anyone know if the bigger LEMs, say 15lb or 20lb (??), go all the way down?

To be fair, other than the cylinder gap issue, the Cabela's stuffer is great.

Mr Walleye

I have the 11lb Cabelas Stuffer with the motor as well. It works fantastic and the only complaint, like the others have said it leaves a little too much sausage mix in the bottom. I typically make 60 or 80 lbs at a time so it's really not that big a deal for me. I had an idea to make a spacer plate out of a plastic cutting board, similar to Wyogoob's styrofoam one but I have never got around to it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

wyogoob

Quote from: OU812 on December 18, 2009, 02:29:45 PM
wyogoob, I tryed the styrofoam thing and it didnt fair to good, I used the blue foam and the edges started to crush and let more and more past every time I used it, total of three times, maybe.

What color did you use?

White like in the pics.

If I can get 5 or six uses out of a homemade spacer I will be happy. I like to do slim jims but only 10 lbs at a time, so 3 lbs left in the stuffer out of 10 is a bad thing.

I shaped it with a sheetrock rasp. Made one that was too tight and broke it getting it out. Made 2 more an 1/8" smaller that the cylinder ID and they work fine.

I run warm water in the nozzle connection to help "push the spacer out of the stuffer.