Mini Me chickens with top secret coating

Started by ronbeaux, December 18, 2009, 01:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronbeaux

Thought I would give it a try and see what would happen.

All oiled up and seasoned with Greek seasoning.

Then dusted with the top secret coating. It's supposed to make the skin crispy but only at higher temps. I'll be doing them at 250 to see what changes it makes to poultry skin.

No, it's not flour or even corn starch. At 325 the skin is like fried, but at 250 who knows?????

We will see. Might be a two step process.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

KyNola

Did you rub the hens down with that Natural Light before putting on the Greek seasoning?

KyNola

ronbeaux

squirtthecat

classicrockgriller

ronbeaux

Nope. Not even close. I'll take a pic at the 1hr stage to check the progress.

classicrockgriller

See STC, I told you it wasn't Rice Flour. ;D :D

ronbeaux

After 1 hr they look like the skin is tightening up. Might work!

It's magic.  ::)

Canceled out so far:
rice flour
corn starch
Natty Light

You know I will tell you if it works. If not, well, I'll improvise and throw on more heat in another cooker. So far so good but I haven't poked it yet to see if it is getting crispy.

Keep guessing.

classicrockgriller

ronbeaux

Add those to the NOT on the list pile.

I'm not seeing where it is working at these low temps after 1.5 hours. I'm calling it a failure on the crispy part and hitting it with 350 in the oven. The hens are at 134 so I think they can take about 20 minutes in the oven to set the skin. If this is the case then I can use my two temp method at comps and turn in bbq fried chicken!!!

Pics later.

Old_Sarge

pink baby birds...

it was talcum powder, wasn't it?

ronbeaux

OK. I have found a way to get crispy fried like chicken starting with the Bradley. 250 won't do it. BUT, it won't stop you from adding the smoke to what you are cooking and it WON"T stop the magic of the coating.

The coating:
http://www.miesproducts.com/breading.htm

It has flour, seasoning, and dehydrated egg whites in it. A little goes a long way!

The technique:
Season your chicken just as you normally would then sprinkle a light coating of the Mais breading mix on the chicken(also works with pork chops and beef for chicken fried steak!) Let it sit in the fridge until the coating starts to melt. Hit it with smoke for 2 hours or so at 225 to 250 until the chicken gets to 135 internal. THEN, transfer to an oven or other cooker set at 350+(I used 375) until the chicken is cooked.

What you get is a smoked chicken with crispy skin that will make you think you are eating fried chicken that has been smoked. SLAMMIN!!!!!!!!!!

Only one problem. They only sell it in 30lb batches.............

squirtthecat

Looks good, Ron!

KyNola!  Put Jan on it...

Product: All Purpose Breading (41332, 41335, 60032)
Serving Size: 100 grams

Ingredients: Enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin,
folic acid), salt, seasoning (monosodium glutamate, spices), eggs, defatted soy flour, nonfat milk,
soybean oil, whey.

OU812

Looks gooood ron real good.

Man asparagus and spinage in the same meal, your iron count should go up tonight and in the morning, hold your breath.  ;D

ronbeaux

I just got to say that this stuff did what was expected. I pushed it by trying it a lower temp but I had to try. It would be interesting to try it all the way at 350+ but I don't don't cook chicken at comps that high, I only finish them.

Experiment #2 will be to start at at 250 until it gets 2/3rds cooked, then jack to 375 which is no problem with my comp cooker, then glaze and see what effect the glaze has on the skin. My goal is to have a skin that is either crispy or bite through.

It's gonna be a fun winter leading up to the first comp in March.

Another thing I noticed was that the breading seemed to SEAL the chicken off so that when it was done it just poured out the juice. It was like it couldn't get out and I didn't even strive to make sure every surface was coated. Cool!

And NO, I don't sell it nor do I want to start.