Cheesemaking - Farmhouse Cheddar

Started by deb415611, December 20, 2009, 05:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

June,

From what I'm reading mozzarella can be tricky.  Lots of people start with it but have problems.  I think the trick is getting the curds to the right temperature to pull.  I haven't tried it yet.

Deb

Roadking

Quote from: deb415611 on December 25, 2009, 02:22:34 AM
June,

From what I'm reading mozzarella can be tricky.  Lots of people start with it but have problems.  I think the trick is getting the curds to the right temperature to pull.  I haven't tried it yet.

Deb
At the deli. we used water straight from the tap. Too hot and the mozzarella looses the creaminess and it's just like tasteless bubble gum. Too cold and it don't form and you can't pull it. I think the temp. was around 170 F.

deb415611

Quote from: Roadking on December 25, 2009, 05:00:48 AM
Quote from: deb415611 on December 25, 2009, 02:22:34 AM
June,

Deb
At the deli. we used water straight from the tap. Too hot and the mozzarella looses the creaminess and it's just like tasteless bubble gum. Too cold and it don't form and you can't pull it. I think the temp. was around 170 F.

A lot of the "quick" recipes have you heat the curds in the microwave for pulling.  I'm assuming this is where people have problems because it's harder to get the curds to the right temp for pulling and that you would have better control if you are heating in water with a thermometer. 

Roadking

Quote from: deb415611 on December 25, 2009, 05:16:57 AM

A lot of the "quick" recipes have you heat the curds in the microwave for pulling.  I'm assuming this is where people have problems because it's harder to get the curds to the right temp for pulling and that you would have better control if you are heating in water with a thermometer.  
We had a stainless steel pot that was shaped like a huge wok about 3 feet diameter an 1-1/2 ft depth. We laid a harp cutter over the pot and pushed the curd through it to break the curd up. then we poured the hot water from the tap over the curd and let it get workable, then started to work it with a 4 foot wooden paddle (under the curd and working it up to the top pulling it to one side or the other. We then made braided unsalted for the table put into ice cold water. Made 6-7 inch balls working the cheese from the outside to the inside (they were brined) called them Skutz (don't know if my spelling is correct) used for slicing to cover pizza or topping on pasta dishes. We would also take the brined balls and smoke some of them. We also made little 1 to 3/4" unsalted balls for salads or finger food.

deb415611

Farmhouse cheddar #2

I did this one with raw milk.

Tenpoint5

Deb,
Raw milk right out of the bulk tank is really really bad for you. So they say. Just so you don't harm yourself or others you had better send that wheel to me for proper disposal!! Used to drink most of my milk straight out of a bulk tank for years, nothing better than a cold pitcher of milk chilled to 34* with the occasional piece of butter floating in it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

deb415611

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 27, 2009, 03:41:49 AM
Deb,
Raw milk right out of the bulk tank is really really bad for you. So they say. Just so you don't harm yourself or others you had better send that wheel to me for proper disposal!! Used to drink most of my milk straight out of a bulk tank for years, nothing better than a cold pitcher of milk chilled to 34* with the occasional piece of butter floating in it.

The farm that the milk came from has been in the same family for over 200 years,  I'm thinking I'm probably safe ;D

We drank raw milk when I was a kid, doesn't scare me!

KevinG

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 27, 2009, 03:41:49 AM
Deb,

OK, that one caused a gag reflex.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Quarlow

Mmmmm raw milk. When I was little my gramp's would get milk from his neighbour while it was still warm. Stuck it in the fridge till good and cold and we drank to our hearts content. We also took raw eggs and use the fresh milk to make eegnog. Now a days everything is going to kill you if you don't kill it with heat which also kills a lot of the taste.
Nice looking cheese Deb.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Nice Cheese deb.

Should I make me a cheese press or buy one?

I want get my stuff ordered so I can try this.

deb415611

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 27, 2009, 10:12:44 AM
Nice Cheese deb.

Should I make me a cheese press or buy one?

I want get my stuff ordered so I can try this.

My dad is going to make me the second one in this pdf document to start (pg. 19).  It's pretty simple.  We are using two plastic cutting boards  12 x 18  and wooden dowels.  http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/CheeseDownloads_files/LetsMakeCheese.pdf     

I'm getting the cutting boards from here  http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=385&;, if I can't find them locally cheaper

Tenpoint5

Quote from: deb415611 on December 27, 2009, 10:31:39 AM
I'm getting the cutting boards from here  http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=385&;, if I can't find them locally cheaper

Deb that is a good find for sure. The 3/4 inch boards are great for drilling and mounting grinders or stuffers to.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

If you have a Sam's in your area, they sell the Large plastic cutting board as a two pack.

Think they are 15W x 20Lx 7/16"D

That may be too shallow.

Try talking your Dad into making a pictorial on making the cheese press. ;D

deb415611

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 27, 2009, 01:04:06 PM
If you have a Sam's in your area, they sell the Large plastic cutting board as a two pack.

Think they are 15W x 20Lx 7/16"D

That may be too shallow.

Try talking your Dad into making a pictorial on making the cheese press. ;D

My mom got a new camera for Christmas.  I'll ask her to take pictures :D

I was thinking the 3/4 inch

Habanero Smoker

The cheese looks good. I'm interested to know if there is a significant difference between the two cheeses.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)