• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Christmas Prime Rib

Started by FLBentRider, December 23, 2009, 10:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I went to  the Grocer today.

Brisket = $3.59/lb

Prime Rib= $5.49/lb

Came home with a 9.6lb Bone in Rib

Details to follow.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

oakville smoker

FINALLY !

Prime Rib:  4.99 pound, well aged   ( bought today in cold Ontario )
Brisket:     2.99 pound

For once, meat was less expensive here than there

race you to the smoker FLB....   wait ...  mine is already full for the day
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

ArnieM

Got my semi-boneless prime rib for 4.99/pound yesterday.  My last brisket (now in the freezer) was 2.49/pound.   ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

Ours is usually $6.99 or higher.

Briskets I get @ Sams for ~3.00/lb

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

MPTubbs

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 23, 2009, 10:55:42 AM
I went to  the Grocer today.

Brisket = $3.59/lb

Prime Rib= $5.49/lb

Came home with a 9.6lb Bone in Rib

Details to follow.

Here in Nebraska Prime is on sale for $5.77 a pound. >:(

I'm in cow country...what's up with that?
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

oakville smoker

I think the markets should start advertising in this site    LOL
Special of the week

Milk is on sale in the next province east, heading out tomorrow to get some    :o
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

ArnieM

I've found the rib roast prices vary quite a bit between stores and 'types'.  By types I mean which ribs, bone-in, semi-boneless, boneless, USDA grades (Select, Choice, Prime), Angus, "All Natural", etc.

Last year I got a USDA Prime for about $15/pound - well over $100 for the hunk.  I wasn't impressed.

What really gets me is that the semi-boneless leaves beef short ribs and they're going for $4/pound.  :'(
-- Arnie

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on December 23, 2009, 01:37:10 PMUSDA Prime ...  I wasn't impressed.

Turns out that higher grade is not a "lock" for better taste but rather a general indicator of the likelihood that a particular cut will taste better.  They grade the marbling, juiciness, and maturity of the whole carcass at slaughter and an individual piece of meat from a carcass graded "Select" might be better than an identical cut from one graded "Choice" or (less likely but still possible,) "Prime."

Aether

Generally, I buy "choice" grade beef.  "Prime" grade is way expensive and I can "dry age" choice cuts for 4 days in my fridge and end up with something close to "prime".

"Select" grade is what is found pre-packaged in most supermarkets (at least here in New York).  This meat is much less marbled than prime and choice.  Marbling (intra-muscular fat) is what helps make beef juicy and what gives good beef it's distinctive taste and texture.  "Select" frequently looks much leaner than choice or prime due to the lack of marbling, but it will generally not have the desired taste or texture.   

ArnieM

I agree with KH in that one might luck out on select.  I haven't had that experience.  Before I knew better, I got some "fillet mignon" from a local store due to the low price.  It was select and was butt end, not exactly fillet mignon.  I'm with Aether in going with choice.  It's fairly consistent.  Even with the pricey prime, it can sometimes be hit and miss.

Merry Christmas
-- Arnie

ronbeaux

Here is one for ya. Brisket in Texas is less than $2.00lb and here in Louisiana it is pushing $4.00 per lb!

Have you guys tried to get tri-tip? I can get it here if I ask the Butcher a week in advance. He has to sell it at Sirloin prices which are WAY less than Filet prices and the tri-tip is as close as you can get to a filet in my opinion.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

ArnieM

Ron,

I've had a couple of tri-tip steaks and wasn't overly impressed.  Maybe the roast is better?  Yes, it is less than a tenderloin (by quite a bit).  It's pretty close to a sirloin isn't it?  Maybe I should try again.
-- Arnie

ronbeaux

It's actually an internal muscle of the bottom sirloin roast. It's best if roasted low and slow first then seared to medium rare and sliced thin.
We like them because you will get doneness from medium to medium rare due to the shape of the meat.

Since it comes from the sirloin portion of the cow it has to be sold as sirloin.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

ArnieM

Good info Ron and thanks.  I'll watch for the next 'sale'.  I'd assume that if they're slicing up steaks they'd have a whole hunk of meat somewhere in back.
-- Arnie

FLBentRider

Merry Christmas!

I just put the rib roast in for 1 hour of Pecan smoke. Then into a 220F oven until an IT of 120F

I will be manually placing pucks on the burner, since My puck advance seems to be stuck in the fully extended position.

I get a click when I push the advance button.

I don't have time to take it apart since I found out we are eating @ 1400 not 1630.  :(

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!