No More Caulking Gun GB Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, December 24, 2009, 02:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helheim

Nepas made this look so easy I went out and bought the LEM stuffer and All-Around Jerky Maker Kit. However, it didn't work very well for me. I don't what I was doing wrong but it just didn't want to slide down the paper very easily and didn't come out very uniform.  ???  Ended up using the jerky cannon anyway.

Did you use it right away after you mixed the meat or put it in the fridge? I put mine in the fridge overnight.

pensrock

I cannot speak for NEPAS but I tried to stuff the next day after mixing everything into the meat. It made it very hard to stuff. Now I mix and stuff the same day then let rest in the fridge overnight. It is much easier. I do not have one of the All-Around Jerky Maker Kits. I'm talking about stuffing into casings.

Quarlow

I may be wrong on this but my impression was that he slide the paper along as he pumped it out, not making the jerky slide along over the paper.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

NePaSmoKer

When i make GB jerky i extrude right after mixing. This way i don't have the problems of stiff cold GB mix not wanting to extrude right. The only problem i had with the attachment was the roll of paper not wanting to stay under the slide. I cut a piece to length and used it for the entire process, worked better for me.

pensrock

QuoteI cut a piece to length and used it for the entire process, worked better for me.
That makes sense plus you are not wasting as much paper.

drano

nepas,

Looks like a great attachment.  Might need to get one for my Cabelas stuffer.  I don't make jerky yet, but this makes it look easier than other methods. 

What brand and model of dehydrator do you have?  I know some people do jerky in a Bradley, but obviously you've decided to use a dehydrator for it instead.  From the little I've read, getting the moisture out of a smoker is the tough part, especially for bigger batches.

keep smokin

drano

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: drano on May 14, 2010, 06:39:58 PM
nepas,

Looks like a great attachment.  Might need to get one for my Cabelas stuffer.  I don't make jerky yet, but this makes it look easier than other methods. 

What brand and model of dehydrator do you have?  I know some people do jerky in a Bradley, but obviously you've decided to use a dehydrator for it instead.  From the little I've read, getting the moisture out of a smoker is the tough part, especially for bigger batches.

keep smokin

drano

I have a Cabelas 80L Dehydrator. I have done jerky fully in my Bradley as well. I have a power vent fan that i put over the top vent to draw all the moisture from the smoker.

This is the vent i have.     http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/2754

smoked-outt

NePa, can the recipe that you provided on this post be used in the BS? If not can someone post a good GB jerky recipe. Thanks in advance...new to this whole smoking thing.