No More Caulking Gun GB Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, December 24, 2009, 02:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Aint going to hassle with the gun anymore  ;D

Collars to fit any stuffer or grinder.

On my 5lb LEM stuffer. Shown with the double strip insert.

3 stick insert.

Comes with a roll of waxed paper for the extrusion to slide on.

Going to give it a test fire on Sat.  Get it here. http://www.dakotahsausagestuffer.com/jerkymaker.htm

nepas

Tenpoint5

Looks like somebody got into the presents under the tree a little early
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ronbeaux

Now THAT is something I'm looking into! Sweet.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

squirtthecat

Oh, how cool is that..

Works with any grinder?

NePaSmoKer

Here is a GB Jerky recipe for ya. Its for a dehydrator.

Smokehouse style

5 pounds GB 80/20 or 85/15
2 Tbs salt
1 level tsp cure#1
1-2 tsp your choice liquid smoke (take a small taste test after the 1st tsp)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 level tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup non-fat dry milk
1/2 cup chilled distilled water

Combine all above dry ingredients with the water and mix well. Pour mix into meat and mix well in large plastic or glass bowl.

Extrude into strips or sticks on your dehydrator racks. Dehydrate at 150-160* Can take from 6-12 hours to dehydrate depending on what kind of unit you have.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Smokin Soon

Nepa, Does that mix have to go overnight in the fridge?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smokin Soon on December 24, 2009, 05:11:16 PM
Nepa, Does that mix have to go overnight in the fridge?

It don't have too but that's how i do it. Let it sit overnight so the flavors can marry up.

josbocc

NEPas,

OK I'm very interested..., but I've got to know if you can maneuver the extruded beef in lengths that will fill "The Big C"  ???

I'm still using the Jerky Cannon with the double tip.  Takes me about an hour and 15 mins to put 15 lbs of jerky into the Big C using the cannon.  I've looked at LEM's attachment that fits their grinders, but I'm really skeptical about getting those strips onto the racks in one piece. 

Input Please!!!!

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: josbocc on December 26, 2009, 10:43:53 AM
NEPas,

OK I'm very interested..., but I've got to know if you can maneuver the extruded beef in lengths that will fill "The Big C"  ???

I'm still using the Jerky Cannon with the double tip.  Takes me about an hour and 15 mins to put 15 lbs of jerky into the Big C using the cannon.  I've looked at LEM's attachment that fits their grinders, but I'm really skeptical about getting those strips onto the racks in one piece. 

Input Please!!!!

Jeff

This jerky/stick attatchment has a roll of waxed paper that sits under the ramp. Pull the strip up through the slot and just in front of the strip/stick head and crank. The strips slide on the paper as it slides down the ramp. Cut the strip and paper off near the head and turn paper with strips on it upside down onto your rack.

I will be putting it to the test tomorrow with my normal pics.

nepas

josbocc

NEPas,

Thanks.  Looking forward to the pics.  Been trying to find an easier way to "shoot" my jerky onto the racks, but have had limited success.  Half-heartedly thought about the battery operated gun that LEM offered for a while, but wasn't about to spend $500.

Thought about trying to get one of my mechanically inclined friends to hook me up with a pneumatically converted jerky cannon, but stepped-back, thought for a moment, and determined that scraping GB jerky off of the ceiling might not be all that fun  :'(.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

NePaSmoKer

Didnt get to the new jerky extruder today but i did get the mix all done. In the morning i will do it.

My own mix for the GB jerky

Mixed and covered ready for tomorrow.

nepas

carnie1

Interesting, I was gonna buy one of those from Midwestern last yr, it was on sale but I changed my mind , after I see how yours works I may order one,  ;D Glad you test all this stuff for us ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: carnie1 on December 27, 2009, 07:24:23 PM
Interesting, I was gonna buy one of those from Midwestern last yr, it was on sale but I changed my mind , after I see how yours works I may order one,  ;D Glad you test all this stuff for us ;D

What a nice guy i am  :D

NePaSmoKer

Here is my photo tutorial of the jerky maker on my 5lb stuffer.  Sorry for the blurry pics on some of em  ;D

Here are the basic parts needed for a 5lb stuffer.
Top left is the tube, threaded on both ends, snaps in the middle.

Spacer washer has threads for the tube end. The white thing is the spanner wrench to put the washer in the stuffer nut.

The die head screws to the other end of the tube.

The die plate slides down into the head.

The ramp plate slides into the die head from right to left.

Wax paper slides up through the slot just before the die.

Ramp sits on the ramp plate.

Crank the stuffer handle so the meat slides down onto the wax paper. There is a slot to cut the jerky/paper to length located just in front of the die.

Here is the jerky on the wax paper.

On dehydrator screen.

Now for some case less sticks  ;D  Same thing as the flat jerky except you have 3 instead of 2 on the paper.

Ok now for the pros/cons

Pros.

Easy to use
easy clean up
fast. I did 5 pounds in 15 mins.
adapts to just about all size stuffers and grinders.
great customer service with the Eldon and Karen Cutlip
easy to follow instructions
I was able to use 1 length of wax paper for all 5 pounds.

Cons.

Wax paper roll could be bigger.
Small amount of meat left in the tube and die head. Really no biggie, you can make a couple small thin jerky rounds outta them.

Yeah i like it

nepas