• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pig Candy

Started by seemore, January 03, 2010, 05:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

I got this recipe from a camping book.

2 C granulated white sugar
6 strips of smokey bacon (we used the bacon that we put in the smoker with the crown pork roast)
2 T butter (extra for greasing the pan)
1 t baking soda
1/4 t ground chipotle or cayenne pepper

Set out cookie sheet and grease with butter.
Cook bacon any way you like until it is super crisp.  Pat dry with a paper towel.  Let cool, then chop as finely as possible (think dust).  Reserve.
In a sauce pan over medium high heat, add sugar.  Stir constantly for approximately four minutes or until sugar melts into a light golden liquid.  Keep stirring for approximately two more minutes or until liquid turns the color of butter scotch.  Remove from heat and immediately stir in butter.  Then add the baking soda and mix thoroughly.  Stir in bacon and chipotle.  Pour onto greased cookie sheet and let cool until hard - about 15 minutes.  Use a mallet or hands to break apart.

I had problems with the sugar melting down.  It was not doing anything, so I put added one-half cup of water. 
When the candy sat it never did get hard.  Instead, the texture is more like crumbly candy.
I need help with making the brittle.  Can someone give me advice on this?
The taste of the candy is great, but the texture is all wrong.

I made this recipe last  week, but just now have got around to posting it.
Thanks,
seemore

deb415611

seemore,

I think if you took out the bacon and added peanuts you should have peanut brittle ;D   I haven't made any for years but I think I used a candy thermometer and the brittle had to get to a certain temp.  Let me see if I can find my recipe.

Deb

seemore

Here are a couple pictures to go with this post:

Tenpoint5

That would be my guess as well the candy was only heated to the soft ball stage. Seemore was it more like the consistency of caramel? If it was then next time you just need to keep the candy on the fire a little longer till you get to hard crack temp. If you don't have a candy thermometer dip a spoon in and drop some into a cold glass of water to cool quickly then test the small ball that fell into the water to see where you are at.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

deb415611

Couldn't find the recipe but here is good link that explains  & shows all the stages.  As 10.5 said you want the hard crack.

deb415611

Scott,

I missed that it just had sugar... alot of brittle recipes add some corn syrup,  I know there is a reason that it's better than water but I can't remember why.

Deb

Tenpoint5

I guess my brain hasn't completely gone I still remember some things
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

MMMMMMMM

I think i need to try this

Gizmo

If you want a quicker Pig Candy,
Throw some bacon on a grill and top it with brown sugar.  The brown sugar will carmalize on the bacon and the result is heavenly.  As with any high fat content meat, be carefull of how much bacon you put on as the fat will cause flare ups. 
This works really good on big pit grills where flame is not an issue.  I have done it on smaller grills charcoal grills and on a griddle but charcoal is the best.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

seemore

Thanks, Giz, for the advice.  I did cook the bacon on a cookie sheet in the oven, and then blotted off the grease and then sprinkled on the brown sugar and chipotle powder.
Howver, it seemed to be lacking, so I really do think cooking it on the grill would make a difference.

Deb thanks for the advice as well.  We will try corn syrup the next time,

seemore

Hoss

Take it to 280*.  That is just past soft crack, not quite hard crack.  Also, the wife uses corn syrup in her brittle as well.
Life is not like a box of chocolates.  It's more like a jar of jalapenos - What you do Today might really burn your ass tomorrow.

seemore

Thanks, Mr & Mrs Hoss - welcome to the forum, by the way!!!
We need whatever advice you can give to make this candy better.
The flavor was awesome:  that bacon, that sweetness tempered by the kick of the chipotle....the texture was just all wrong, however.  :(
The Seemores

Thor

I think the problem is the the name.   Instead of calling it Pig Candy, call it Pig Vomit and my boys would be all over it.
If you got it, smoke it.

seemore

Ya know, Thor, it did kind of resemble that, didn't it????  Once we can master the brittle, it will no longer look like something that the kids in a Harry Potter movie would consume!!!
Mrs

Caribou

Hi Mrs!
That pig candy has got to be good  :)
I saw on the Food Network where they were taking maple glazed donuts and rolling them in crumbled bacon.
Looked like a good combo, too.
Kind of reminds me of the pig candy.
Carolyn