Smoking in Alaska

Started by Whatchasmokin, January 13, 2010, 11:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

We could start a fight with that question.

I like to pull and chop the bark and mix that all together and the rewarm as needed.

Others separate into big chunks and remove the fat and freeze or fridge.

Warm in the oven wrapped in foil and then pull.

The thing is you will not get deep penetration of smoke on a butt.

By chopping the bark and mixing with the pulled part, you will help spread some

of the love from the bark area to rest of the piggie.

Hab's has a vaunated vinegar and 10.5 has a sauce that are both good on the recipe site.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Whatchasmokin on January 14, 2010, 12:57:14 PM
I do have a question for anyone that might be willing to answer it. After it is FTCed, Should I leave it whole or shred it immediately? It won't be served until Friday evening. Also, what is the best reheat method? Any good sauce recipes would also be appreciated.

CRG is right there are many opinions on this topic. All of them Right  ;D ;D ;D

I would divide the butts up after FTC, just separate the meat from the fat - I wouldn't shred until after reheat.

to reheat, crock pot works well, or foil wrap in a 300F oven.

On the recipe site there are sauces. I'm partial to the Vaunted Vinegar sauce.

As far as commercial sauces go, I would avoid the ones with smoke flavors. IMHO they tend to clash with real smoke flavor.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Whatchasmokin

Thanks for the info. FLB, I did not see your post prior to coming home and shredded it already. I will have to try your method on the next one. It looks, smells and tastes great!!

Here is pic of the final product.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The time to hesitate is through............James Douglas Morrison

Quarlow

Ok I'm jealous. I still have not done a pulled pork butt. very nice.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Kummok

Inspirational Watchasmokin...you really know how to warm up that ER winter!!

As&8s: Where you at down here in America? I'm in SoCal at the moment but will be back home stalking ptarmigan soon!

Paddlinpaul

Welcome to the fun.
I just finished supper 2 hours ago and man you have made me hungry again just looking at those pics. Nice job!
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

aces-n-eights

Quote from: Kummok on January 14, 2010, 05:09:00 PM

As&8s: Where you at down here in America? I'm in SoCal at the moment but will be back home stalking ptarmigan soon!

Hey K!  We're visiting fam in Spokane WA.  Will be going south to visit more family in San Diego for a few days next week.

Looking forward to getting back to Alaska - would that be called "inside"?  Hmmmmmmmm

Jay, i'm impressed with your pulled pork - really nice.  Do you do any fishing?  Smoked salmon?  The Bradley does a nice job on salmon...
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8