Smoking in Alaska

Started by Whatchasmokin, January 13, 2010, 11:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whatchasmokin

Hello All,

Just want to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Jay and I reside in beautiful Eagle River, Alaska. I just got my OBS for Christmas (I did open it a little early.....couldn't wait) and have been having a blast breaking it in. I have never smoked anything before but have always been intrigued. In the month that I have had it I have smoked a batch of beef jerky, two pork loins, 4 racks of ribs (Thanks 10.5), a small brisket and right now I have about 18 lbs of pork butt in there for a party on Friday.

It has been a challenge with the cold outside temperature but everything has turned out great. I have trolling the forum and absorbing as much information as I can. Thank you all for sharing your experiences as it has been very helpful. I am looking forward to sharing some of mine.

Cheers!

Jay

The time to hesitate is through............James Douglas Morrison

classicrockgriller

We have been waiting for you so that we could say Hello and congrats.

Since you have done all that good smokin and looking around the forum, you know the rules:

If you have a question,   ask.

Lookin forward to you posting some good pics of your smokes.

Quarlow

Hello Whatcha and welcome to the forum. You are going to love this place.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Whatchasmokin

Here are some pictures of the butts that are in right now. They have been in almost twelve hours now and the IT is 150. The cabinet has been holding steady at 205 all day despite the 18 degree outside temperature.

24 Hours after rub down

After 4 hours of apple

Nine hours in (Looking Good)

They will be checked at about 3:00 am when the dog decides he need to go out. Looking forward to the final product.

Thank you Quarlow for your help with the pictures.  ;D

Quarlow

Hey you are probaably going to get a stall soon in your temp but don't worry that is what you want. That is when the magic is happening and it could last for 3 to 5 hrs. don't increase your temp on the tower or you could dry out the meat. Just let it do it's thing.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

That looks good, real good.

If the butt on the bottom has been there the whole time,

then you may want to switch places with the other or else you

will have two butts finishing 4 hrs apart.

remember you have to take the IT in all "meats" you take from your smoker.

Two level of shelves will cook different.

classicrockgriller

How long you been smokin in your Bradley?

Whatchasmokin

Thanks for the advice CRG. I have switched them once so far. I plan on switching them again before I go to bed (which will be soon). IT was about 6 degrees off between the two.

I have only been smoking in the Bradley (or anything else) since mid December.

Jay

Quarlow

by the way good looking smoked food there guy. nice job so far.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

I can see by the well seasoned smoker you know what's happening.

Looking forward to some finished photo's.

Quarlow

Just wondering but how much smoke are you pouring to those butts?

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

The rule with smoke on most meats as far as I understand it, is after meat reaches an IT of 150 it will not absorb anymore smoke into the meat.

But the smoke after that sure helps make a nice bark, esp on a butt.

Whatchasmokin

Thanks for the compliments. They got about 5 hours of apple and I think the IT was 130 at the time.

Quarlow

Damn those are good looking butts. I like to get my smoke in at the beginning. Just a thow back from the old plywood smokers.

OBS
BBQ

Whatchasmokin

I just switched them around and they are both at 160. I will check them around 3:00 and go from there.

Thanks again for your help and guidence.

Getting some nice bark