• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

2nd Element

Started by MPTubbs, January 20, 2010, 05:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPTubbs

Just installed another heating element in my 6 racker.

Bought the parts from Yard & Pool. I ordered a new heat shield and while trying to drill holes the sides FELL OFF quite easily  >:( (there was no man handling the shield as not to bend it to sh*t).

The tack welds are of poor quality.
After pop riveting the sides back on the rest of the install went good.

Fired it up to see if I would have a fire and all was good.
With the smoker empty the temp rose 1* every 2 seconds.....29* outside and vent 1/2 open.

I think I just kicked winters a$$!
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

OU812

You go brother.

That second element WILL make a huge diff with the Bradley getting up to temp and staying there.

Aint this weather great? We had an inch of slush on the ground up north and my deck was a solid sheet of ice. Damn neer fell on my a## first thing this morn, that would have made my day.

MPTubbs

Quote from: OU812 on January 20, 2010, 05:51:30 AM
You go brother.

That second element WILL make a huge diff with the Bradley getting up to temp and staying there.

Aint this weather great? We had an inch of slush on the ground up north and my deck was a solid sheet of ice. Damn neer fell on my a## first thing this morn, that would have made my day.

And no more fog!

I was really get'n sick of that crap.

squirtthecat

Quote from: MPTubbs on January 20, 2010, 05:58:54 AM
Quote from: OU812 on January 20, 2010, 05:51:30 AM
You go brother.

And no more fog!

I was really get'n sick of that crap.

Ditto. We've been having the same weather as you. (maybe a few degrees warmer)

OU812

That fog sure made the trees look cool in the morn with all the moisture sticking to the branches. All white and fluffy.

We must have lost power some time last night, all of the clocks in the house were flashing. Good thing I have a battery back on my alarm clock. Had to go around the house resetting the clocks so the girls wouldnt be late.

classicrockgriller

Tubbs, Are your using a PID?

MPTubbs

classicrockgriller

Kewl!

I know I already like the element upgrade and the new dual probe Auber.

Gonna be a new game!

MPTubbs

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 20, 2010, 07:15:04 AM
Kewl!

I know I already like the element upgrade and the new dual probe Auber.

Gonna be a new game!

This may sound sick....but I'm kinda hoping my New Auber would take a sh%t so I can buy the dual probe baby!

OU812

Quote from: MPTubbs on January 20, 2010, 07:30:01 AM
This may sound sick....but I'm kinda hoping my New Auber would take a sh%t so I can buy the dual probe baby!

I think Squirt is looking for one.

pensrock

You should be able to sell it pretty easy, put it in the 'For Sale' section.

Pachanga

QuoteI ordered a new heat shield and while trying to drill holes the sides FELL OFF quite easily  Angry (there was no man handling the shield as not to bend it to sh*t).

You have just got to quite tearing up the toys.

Sounds like a nice upgrade.  I may go that same route.  No, I just checked the outside temperature -  72 degrees.

Just kidding (well, it really is 72), it would be nice to upgrade.  How many watts did you add?  The temperature distribution will be interesting.

Good luck and heat it up,

Pachanga

MPTubbs

Quote from: Pachanga on January 20, 2010, 10:25:04 AM
QuoteI ordered a new heat shield and while trying to drill holes the sides FELL OFF quite easily Angry (there was no man handling the shield as not to bend it to sh*t).

You have just got to quite tearing up the toys.

Sounds like a nice upgrade.  I may go that same route.  No, I just checked the outside temperature -  72 degrees.

Just kidding (well, it really is 72), it would be nice to upgrade.  How many watts did you add?  The temperature distribution will be interesting.

Good luck and heat it up,

Pachanga

Way up north here in Nebraska it get real cold.

The last few smokes it takes a loooong time for me to hit 220* once the meat is installed.

Sooooo I went with the upgrade to show mother nature she can't win all the time. (is that thunder I here in the background?)

I only added one element and I believe the element is 500 watts...x2 = 1000 watts and if I have the generator on I think you will add another 250 watts. So I'm thinking 1250 watts total.

72*.. man o man we won't see that temp for 3 more months! >:(

If I lived in Gods country like you I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Habanero Smoker

I had the same problem when I tried to drill through my old shield. Fortunately I had a new one on hand if anything went wrong.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

I just ordered an element and shield. I'll be doing the upgrade as soon as it warms up enough to work on it.