• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Motorized stuffer

Started by FLBentRider, January 20, 2010, 11:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

So I thought I had a stuffer picked out...

Then I thought, it would be nice to have the motorized one, if I'm going to talk the Mrs into a stuffer I don't want to have to do it twice!

Then I started looking... Ouch! 4k! 2k ! Oh My!

Meatprocessingproducts has the motor for the Weston, but no Weston stuffers ??

Found the weston 11lb for 289.99  and the motor for 229.99 - Thats a little better.

Anyone have a Weston ?

Good / Bad / Ugly ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bullhead

Weston makes the Cabala's stuffer, I have the motor that attach's to the 11# Cabala's stuffer. it works good when doing large quantity's, the down side is that there is 1# of meat left in the bottom of the stuffer. The motor has a varable speed control which is nice when doing brats it can run slow, and when doing 1# bags of ground meat can run fast. Great nephew likes to help by running the foot peddle.
Hope this helps.

Roadking

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 20, 2010, 11:19:03 AM
So I thought I had a stuffer picked out...
Then I thought, it would be nice to have the motorized one, if I'm going to talk the Mrs into a stuffer I don't want to have to do it twice!
Then I started looking... Ouch! 4k! 2k ! Oh My!
Meatprocessingproducts has the motor for the Weston, but no Weston stuffers ??
Found the weston 11lb for 289.99  and the motor for 229.99 - Thats a little better.
Anyone have a Weston ?
Good / Bad / Ugly ?
Yeh, I have a 20 lb. electric. Let me get the link.

Roadking

Here's the link to the guy where I got my stuffer I got. He doesn't show the motor with it. Email the guy if your interested. He had a deal with the motor I paid $576.25 with shipping

http://stores.ebay.com/All-Vac-Sealer-and-Butcher-Supply

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12226.0

FLBentRider

Quote from: Roadking on January 20, 2010, 02:00:57 PM
Here's the link to the guy where I got my stuffer I got. He doesn't show the motor with it. Email the guy if your interested. He had a deal with the motor I paid $576.25 with shipping

http://stores.ebay.com/All-Vac-Sealer-and-Butcher-Supply

You pretty happy with it ?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Roadking

Real happy. When I make 20 lb. loads I had my wife helping me guide the hog casings. Plus I had to load 4 times. Now I load once, foot pedal on the floor and she don't need to help. The only thing I don't like is your left with 1 lb. at the bottom of the stuffer, but I'm in the process of making a shim to fill the area at the bottom without interferring with the piston travel.
If you make large quantities it's the only way to go.

OU812

Quote from: bullhead on January 20, 2010, 12:58:24 PM
Weston makes the Cabala's stuffer, I have the motor that attach's to the 11# Cabala's stuffer. it works good when doing large quantity's, the down side is that there is 1# of meat left in the bottom of the stuffer. The motor has a varable speed control which is nice when doing brats it can run slow, and when doing 1# bags of ground meat can run fast. Great nephew likes to help by running the foot peddle.
Hope this helps.

Ditto, but I dont have a great nephew.  ;D

Roadking

Oops wrong post

Mr Walleye

FLB

I have the Cabelas 11 lb stuffer with the electric option as well. It works real well. For me I probably would have been better off to go with the 20 lb unit because I typically make 80 lb batches at a time. I originally bought the stuffer without the electric option. I bought the electric portion directly from Weston. They sell refurbished units with full warranty. They don't advertise them on their web site but you can email them to see if they have any available. I think I paid about $145. for mine.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

drano

I've got the Cabelas 11 lb and the Cabelas motor also. 
The system really works great. 
I only use it a few times a year, so I remove the motor and put the stuffer and motor in their original boxes for storage. 
If I'm doing something that goes in 1 or 2 lb bags, I just crank by hand. 
Only 2 downsides I see w/ the motor:
- Slower to get the ram back to the top for refilling w/ the motor than can be hand cranked
- When the motor is stopped, the meat is still under pressure and continues to ooze out the tube.  W/ the hand crank, I can back off the handle to remove canister pressure on the meat, and flow out the tube stops immediately.  My solution is stuffing the entire casing length, then cutting links to length afterword.  When I made brat links w/ the hand crank, I'd have the wife help--she twisted every link as they were made off the end of the stuffer tube.
Looking back, I wish I had the 20 lb.  Even though I only do a few batches a year, filling it once instead of 2-3 times sure would be nice.  Luckily mine is an older model w/ teeth all the way to the drive shaft tip, so I can drive the ram to the the bottom of the canister (gotta be careful w/ the motor to not ruin something by bottoming it out, but I've got the shaft marked where I need to stop).

get smokin
drano

classicrockgriller

Which one you getting FBR?

FLBentRider

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 21, 2010, 06:22:57 PM

I leaning toward the 20lb weston with the rebuilt motor.

I'm not sure where I'm going to PUT it...

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 21, 2010, 06:25:02 PM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 21, 2010, 06:22:57 PM

I leaning toward the 20lb weston with the rebuilt motor.

I'm not sure where I'm going to PUT it...

Plenty of room in the Sprinter!  (think of it as a 9.5' tall rolling POD)

anderson5420

NePaSmoker says he has very little meat left in the bottom of his vertical stuffer.  Evidently it depends on brand and design, mine is a 15 year old SMI 5 lb stuffer, for example, it has no air relief valve while the new ones all do.  It also leaves about 1/2 lb of meat in the bottom of the cylinder. So I asked my friend who has a good shop to make me a shim to put under the piston.  If it works, and there is clearance, I may just attach it to the piston with stainless screws.  It is made of Starboard, a material commonly used for a number of marine applications.  Here is what it looks like.

So many recipes, so little time!

Quarlow

Have you ever worked with that Starboard? Does it nail and/or screw like wood? Is it structural like wood? I bet its expensive.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.