• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

To Habenaro Smoker

Started by cgaengineer, January 23, 2010, 09:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgaengineer

Your Canadian Bacon cure is right on! We love it, it will be made again...had to snitch a little piece before it went to bed for 2 days in the fridge.
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks.

I haven't made any in a while, I may start some this week. When I make my bacon I always use part to make pea meal bacon. That is cured pork loin rolled in cornmeal; coarse cornmeal if you can find it, or you can make your own coarse cornmeal by putting popcorn in a coffee grinder and grinding it to the consistency you like. It is not smoked or cooked (though you can and many do that), but it is generally sliced uncooked and pan fried. I also like to take the slices and coat them in cornmeal prior to frying. If dipped in flour, then egg, then cornmeal you have chicken fried pea meal bacon..

I keep planning to add a section in the recipe on how to make pea meal. It's really good, you need to try it next time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Up In Smoke

I agree with CGA, i really enjoy the cure.
i am also interested in the pea meal bacon but have not taken the time
to jump into it.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

stantonl

I'm giving this cure a try right now. I also wanted to say thanks for this recipe.

Larry

cgaengineer

My only gripe is the 7 day wait! Of course this is beyond the control of Habenaro Smoker.
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

Brother Bill

Hab
It is a great recipe. How long do you recommend we keep it in a 37* meat keeper? Thanks!
BB

Habanero Smoker

Hi BB;

I usually won't store it longer then 7 days in the refrigerator. If I'm not going to use it by then, I will vacuum seal and freeze. Some of the bacon I will slice prior to freezing, some I will freeze uncut. Though I will admit I have keep some in the refrigerator for around 2 weeks and it was alright.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cgaengineer

Thanks once again for the great write up and recipe. Our family loves it and wants more.

Here are a few shots of mine.

dbondy

Nice job CGA I'll have to give that a try. Habs sure knows his stuff. ;D

Caneyscud

Man, my tongue is slapping the roof of my mouth right now!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

cgaengineer

It sure turned out well. I gave some to a few people and they loved it. Habs should commercialize it!

Brother Bill

Thanks Hab!
                 The last batch we made was over the Holidays. I sliced one, & kept it a cold meat keeper for 15 days & was still perfect. I was relieved to see you did the same & was OK. Balance is in the freezer sliced in vac bags hidden under an assumed name. I will try your peameal next. Keep these great recipes coming! Regards,
BB

Habanero Smoker

cgaengineer,

Your bacon looks better then mine. :) The pizza just made my to do list.

BB;
Thanks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

smokeNcanuck

Quote from: cgaengineer on January 26, 2010, 08:43:06 AM
It sure turned out well. I gave some to a few people and they loved it. Habs should commercialize it!

Wish I was"some people" that's looks amazing!! I new I should have picked up some of that Morton Tender Quick last time I was at the butcher shop.  I just did not know why... till now.  Think I am going to take a shot at some of that this weekend if I can get some loin.  Toooo many things to try, brain on over drive!!
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

lumpy

How come they call it "Canadian bacon" when you US guys do a great job making your own ???

Lumpy