First Cheese smoke, I have a few questions

Started by mbetz, January 23, 2010, 06:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbetz

I have been wanting to smoke cheese ever since I saw it on this forum researching Bradley Smokers.  Well tonight while at Sam's with the family I picked up a few bricks.  One of the bricks I picked up has been making frequent appearances on this forum, three alarm co-jack.  I figured Sam's had, it looked good, why not.

I am thinking about using maple to smoke the cheese with.  According to the weather forcast it is to be around 39-40 degrees tomorrow.  I have been doing a bit of reading about this process but still have a few questions.  I am planning on doing this with out a cold smoke adapter and using the smoke generator as the only heat source.  I don't have a PID yet.  I know this would probably be helpful in controlling the temperatures.

Questions:
1.  In your past experience how much will the smoke generator raise the temperature in the cabinet?
2.  Is there a recommended setting for the vent on top of the cabinet. Half open or Fully open?
3.  In this application is it better to have the cheese in the top rack location or second from the top?
4.  I was thinking of applying 3-4 hours of maple smoke.  In your experience is that too much with this flavor?

Since I have not done this before I thought I would do a test with an empty cabinet with just the smoke generator on to see how much it raised the temperature in the cabinet above ambient.

If it gets above the 80-90 degree range I thought I would add a pan of ice below the cheese to help lower the temp. of the cabinet.

Sorry if I am rambling, just wanting to do well with this.  I would like to take them to a carry in we typically have at work in February.

Below are a couple of pictures of the cheese and my set up.

Thanks for all of your help.

Mark

classicrockgriller

At 30 to 40 degrees you should be fine!

Monitor it with your maverick and try to keep temps in the 80* range.

I have my vent full open.

second from top is fine.

you will be fine with 3 to4 hrs of maple.

If you start getting over mid 80's just open door for a short time.

In 14 days you will have some fine cheese!

HawkeyeSmokes

1. I think the cabinet temperature will get a little to hot. You can use that pan of ice or even open the door to keep the temps down.
2. I would keep the top vent open.
3. Closer to the top is better as it's cooler.
4. I used 2 hours of apple on my last smoke of cheese. Could have used a little more but every ones taste is different. Try a batch or 2 and adjust from there.

Your over all plan sounds pretty good to me.

Remember to seal it and store for a couple weeks before using. The longer the better.
HawkeyeSmokes

FLBentRider

The last time I had temps like that I did a batch of cheese.

You will probably want to put the cheese on the top rack, vent wide open.

I use four hours of Hickory.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

mbetz, I like your cabinet for your Bradley!

Nice deal.

squirtthecat

Hey, that cabinet looks familiar...   :D

Mark, put a pan of ice on the bottom of the OBS to catch the pucks in.

Or...

Someone else had a great idea. (can't remember who - forgive me)

Fill the v-tray 1/2 full with ice, and put a large foil pan in to catch the pucks.   The smoke will cool going up through the ice, and the cabinet temps will stay low.  The ice will melt, and drip into the catch pan.

Like everyone else says, vacuum seal/tightly wrap the cheese and don't even think about touching for at least 2 weeks..

squirtthecat

If the cabinet temps get out of hand, try again Tuesday night.   It's gonna be down into the teens.   

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 23, 2010, 07:02:17 PM

If the cabinet temps get out of hand, try again Tuesday night.   It's gonna be down into the teens.   

Or just head up my way and you can use my smoker. It's going to be down close to 0 F. Crap!!
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

When I did my cheese it was low 40's and my cabinet never got to 85*,

But I also had 3 racks of cool cheese.

You can turn your smoke generator on first and just leave the door open

till you are ready to smoke and that way you will get smoke off the first puck.

mbetz

Thanks for the quick responces all.  I am planning on borrowing my Mom's vacuum sealer tomorrow to seal these bricks after smoking since I don't have one yet.  Also I think I am going to split each brick in half (the rectangle bricks down the length) to get more flavor.

Today I finally decided to order a PID.  I went a head and ordered the single probe PID from Auber.  After my first smoke with my OBS, a pork butt, I found out how time consuming it was to deal with temperature changes and getting to the target cooking temperature.

The cabinet is one I have had for a few year now.  Today I decided to reallocate what was in it and give the OBS a home that I could cook in during most weather conditions.  I think it should work out nice since I can close the doors and prop the lid open a little to let the smoke out and air in.

Thanks for all of the ideas. 

squirtthecat

After you start cranking meat through that OBS, you'll want a vacuum sealer of your own..

I've got the one they sell at Sam's Club.   Works great IMO.

mbetz

STC, does your Sam's Club have it in the store.  Ours doesn't have any.  The only local store I have seen them at are Walmart and Bed Bath and Beyond.

squirtthecat

Quote from: mbetz on January 24, 2010, 05:29:07 AM
STC, does your Sam's Club have it in the store.  Ours doesn't have any.  The only local store I have seen them at are Walmart and Bed Bath and Beyond.

Yes, they did.   Plus the bulk pack of the bag rolls. 

I believe the one at WalMart is the same model..

JF7FSU

I like the cabinet, does anyone know the model and brand?
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

deb415611

Guys have you set above. 

That Cabot 50% light cheddars is great smoked.