• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

So I think I'm ready for Brisket...

Started by SnellySmokesEm, January 27, 2010, 06:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

After researching Brisket on the forum I have decided to change my menu for the superbowl to include brisket.  This will go along with a 10lb Boston Butt (bone in of course)  This will be my third run at it so any input would be greatly appreciated as I dont want any to be left after the game :)  As I mentioned before the two times I smoked brisket before was a disaster b/c I bought a trimmed flat.  :-\  First I am going to the butcher to get a 10lb packer's cut that has been wet aged for about 30 days.  Do you think 10lb pork and 10lb brisket will be enough for 50 people?   I have a rub that has worked very well on Butts so I am going to stick with what works and use the same for the brisket.  I am going to slather it with mustard although I have yet to decide if it will be yellow or spicy.  I dont think I am going to use the "crutch" method b/c I want a nice crispy bark.   I have two BBQ sauces that I have found work very well with the butt, but have yet to find the "one" that pairs the best with the brisket. Any ideas?  I think I have enough time to order some if the forum has a the "one" and I'm not afraid to make my own.   Now onto my biggest concern, when do I start my smoke?  My Superbowl party starts at 5:00 on Superbowl Sunday.  I would like the the Butt to be ready to pull by 4:00 and the brisket ready to slice by 6ish.  The weather should be in the 60's (Gotta love Florida).  I think I should start the smoke at 9:00pm Sat. nite @ 220 and smoke for for hours and then bump the temp down to 190 and let cook through the night.  So now I turn to the forum for advice, suggestions, recipes and anything else that will make my supersmoke a hit.  Thanks in advance! 

-Snelly
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Tenpoint5

Try this on your Brisket for a sauce. I have used it several times and it always goes over very well. Yellow Sauce
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SnellySmokesEm

Thanks 10point.  How did you know I prefered a vinegar based sauce.  Now a need a sweet sauce for the brisket. 
BBQ Evangelist

Tenpoint5

Try that yellow sauce on the brisket I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Or Habs has a vaunted vinegar sauce on the recipe site as well.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SnellySmokesEm

I definitely will try the yellow sauce!  I like to have variety so I would like a sweeter sauce also.  I have a problem with tryin to make everyone happy. 
BBQ Evangelist

squirtthecat

Do a search for "Montgomery Inn" bbq sauce.   I made a variation of it and it was really good.    Just sweeten it up a bit.

squirtthecat

Here, I'll save you some clicking..   This is from my recipe note file hodge/podge.

-----------------------

Montgomery Inn BBQ Sauce Recipe

I got this recipe from my friend Jeff years ago-this is the original recipe for the fantastic sauce on the ribs at the Famous Montgomery Inn Restaurant, Cincinnati OH., Jeff used to use 1/2 of the chili powder and add 2 t. red pepper, for his own personal taste.

5 cups catsup
1 cup tarragon vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
7 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons red peppers
16 cloves garlic
7 medium onions
1/2 cup water

20 servings

1 hour 30 minutes
30 mins prep

Combine in saucepan, bring to a boil.
Simmer for 1 hour-Strain.

But I have one at home that scales it down based on 1 24oz bottle of ketchup, minced onion and brown sugar.

-   1 cup ketchup
-   5 tbs brown sugar
-   1 tbs taragon vinegar
-   1 tbs worcestershire sauce
-   1 tsp garlic salt
-   1 tsp chili powder

Another called for sugar, and then molasses – which is brown sugar.

And yet another

24 oz. bottle ketchup
1/2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. chili powder
1 med. onion, chopped
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 c. tarragon vinegar

classicrockgriller

IMO I would "allow" 20 to 24 hrs on the butt and that is at a temp of 210 to 220.

Not saying it is gonna take that long, butt from all the post lately seems like the butts are a little more stubborn here lately.

I'm sure others will give you their thoughts.

Their is nothing wrong with doing the Butt in advance, even the weekend before and reheating it.

Then you can just concentrate on the Brisket.

Note: I just finished a 14 lb Brisket and it took 15 hrs at 220*

That did not include the FTC time.

classicrockgriller

Also, depending on what else you are serving to eat with the beef and piggie, I think you haven't enough meat!

After waste and shrinkage you will get approx 60% eatable meat on both products.

So roughly 12lb for 50 people.

Better tell that butcher you need more meat!

SnellySmokesEm

Squirt - thanks for the suggestion
CGR - Very good suggestion on the butt.  It has been my experiece that it reheats nicely.  Freezes great too.  We will be having lots of appetizers and sides.  My original menu included a beef tenderloin so maybe I will throw that back into the mix.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, keep 'em coming

Snelly
BBQ Evangelist

Pachanga

Snelly,

I serve large crowds often.  I have a lot of leftovers sometimes, but that is better than people going away hungry.  There are a lot of variables on the question of is 20 pounds of meat enough.  If you have a lot of snacks, breads, chips, and other finger foods, I think it will be close.  I personally would have a stand by brisket or butt to freeze rather than run low.  What you have would do about 30 to 35 in my opinion.  I agree with CRG.

A couple of ideas.  Serve the meat on rolls.  This makes for smaller servings than sliced plated meat and finger foods are what you are looking for anyway.  I made pulled pork on Parker House rolls just last night.  Second, be prepared to throw the point and trimmings of the brisket into a food processor for chopped brisket or if you are handy with a knife, use that.  This will stretch your brisket.

As far as smoking temperature, I would look at a little higher temperature at night and finish early rather than risk finishing late.  The pork shoulder I just finished went in at 9 PM.  I was to serve at 6 PM the next day.  I kept kicking the temperature up to force it to adhere to my time and I barely made it.  We ate at 6:30.  I really needed a couple of more hours.  I'm just saying.  I'm with CRG on this one also and I was writing while he posted.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

SnellySmokesEm

Pachanga - Could you just send those rolls over to my house???  I guess I need to get a final head count on my party.  I was planning on serving the meat with buns.  Preparing Mac salad, potato salad and mac n cheese.  There will be plenty of appetizers  Some of my guest will bring there kids so I will have hot dogs and hamburgers for them.  I guess I'll buy a 12lb butt since that is the biggest I can fit into the ES.
Thanks
BBQ Evangelist

SnellySmokesEm

And I guess Ill be starting my smoke at 6:00  ;D
BBQ Evangelist

SnellySmokesEm

Is 10points yellow sauce similar to Carolina treet?
BBQ Evangelist

OU812

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on January 27, 2010, 09:11:18 AM
Is 10points yellow sauce similar to Carolina treet?

Not really, its kinda a sweet vinegar based mustard sauce, CT is kinda like a vinegar based BBQ/cookin sauce.

The yellow sauce goes great on pulled pork, havent tried on brisket yet.

Oh the CT is more of an cookin sauce than a dippin sauce, to me anyways.