• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pastrami Question

Started by josbocc, January 29, 2010, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josbocc

Help Please,

Am taking my first stab at Pastrami, and thanks to the absence of a decent butcher shop in my area, I was forced to purchase two corned beef flat cuts from Sam's Club.  Total weight is about 9.5 - 10 lbs.  I'm using the "Beef Pastrami" recipe by Raye Minor that's on the recipe page.

Here's my dilemna:

Since these briskets are already "corned" do I skip the curing rub and go right to the final rub, then smoke?

If I do the dry cure rub, will my pastrami turn out too salty? 

If I do the dry cure rub, should I modify the overall curing time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!!

Jeff

The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

FLBentRider

Those are already cured.

I would rub and smoke. I'm not sure if you need to soak.

I would probably fry up a sample and taste it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Personally, I would soak them for 2 days.   Flip a couple times a day.

Then dry, apply rub, etc.

OU812

Corned beef is pretty salty right out of the package you might want to soak it in fresh water for 1 hr then try a small piece if still to salty change the water and soak again.

Then when its to your likin do the rub and throw those in the smoker.

josbocc

You guys are the greatest.  Thanks for the advice, I will soak for about an hour, sample, then dry rub and into the Bradley.  Finally got my digital camera back from mama, so I'll try to post pics as I move along.

Thanks Again,

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Ka Honu

I'm guessing an hour soak won't help all that much.  Usual time is 18-48 hours with a water change about every 12 hours. A small test piece will only tell you if the surface salt/brine has soaked out. 

When you put the dry rub on, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least overnight before bringing back to room temp and smoking.

You might also put a toothpick in the meat to mark the direction of the grain - kinda tough to see when done.

Up In Smoke

Quote from: josbocc on January 29, 2010, 02:29:06 PM
Help Please,

Am taking my first stab at Pastrami, and thanks to the absence of a decent butcher shop in my area, I was forced to purchase two corned beef flat cuts from Sam's Club.  Total weight is about 9.5 - 10 lbs.  I'm using the "Beef Pastrami" recipe by Raye Minor that's on the recipe page.

Here's my dilemna:

Since these briskets are already "corned" do I skip the curing rub and go right to the final rub, then smoke?

If I do the dry cure rub, will my pastrami turn out too salty? 

If I do the dry cure rub, should I modify the overall curing time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!!

Jeff

Jeff,
i don't know if this is what you are looking for or not but here is a little project that worked out very well for me.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13848.0
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

squirtthecat

One more thing that I have found doing this...  After the smoke/cook is finished, let it cool and wrap tight (or vacuum seal) and put in the fridge for at least a day before you cut into it.   The flavors will come together, and it will get better and better throughout the week..

Again, this is just my personal preference.

Up In Smoke

2 Bradley OBS
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

cgaengineer

Sams didn't have a packer? They always have them when I go! Try Wal-Mart...they also carry them from time to time.
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Up In Smoke on January 29, 2010, 04:34:28 PM
Absolutely  right squirt!

I learned from the master! 
(and promptly hijacked his thread - sorry UIS ::))

This was my second pastrami attempt.  The first one turned out better.    This one was a corned beef brisket that I brought home and froze, and I think the ice crystals damaged the meat a bit.   It was good, but not nearly as tender as the first one.

Up In Smoke

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 29, 2010, 05:23:25 PM
Quote from: Up In Smoke on January 29, 2010, 04:34:28 PM
Absolutely  right squirt!

I learned from the master! 
(and promptly hijacked his thread - sorry UIS ::))

This was my second pastrami attempt.  The first one turned out better.    This one was a corned beef brisket that I brought home and froze, and I think the ice crystals damaged the meat a bit.   It was good, but not nearly as tender as the first one.
It's all about helpin' out.
besides i cannot take credit.....10.5 hooked me up with the recipe.
2 Bradley OBS

cgaengineer

I'll post the recipe I use in a bit...I have made pastrami about 10 times now.
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

josbocc

Once again "Thank You Forum Members".

Gonna start soaking tomorrow AM..., then grind some spices for my rub.  Might have time to smoke on Sunday, that is if the temperature outside gets above 0 (that's farenheit), and the wind drops below 30mph.   :P :P :P  I love living in Northern NY  ;D ;D

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

cgaengineer

Tripple D just has a segment on a deli in NY that makes their own pastrami...pickled for 30 days in Big Brute trash cans.