• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

i have seen the light!!! maple cured bacon

Started by monty, January 29, 2010, 09:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MallardWacker

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

PGB

Monty, where abouts are you shopping for meat in Ottawa?

Peter

monty

Quote from: PGB on March 22, 2010, 09:29:45 AM
Monty, where abouts are you shopping for meat in Ottawa?

hey Peter. this pork belly was from T&T Supermarket on Hunt Club (they have pig hoof there too!)

my local go-to butchers are Brian's Butchery in Nepean and The Butchery in Bells Corners.
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

classicrockgriller

monty, I don't know how I missed this first time around but am glad I caught it on a new post.

Top Notch! I really want to try some Bacon soon.

You may have just pushed me over the Edge.

Very nice.

Slamdunk

That looks great!

I have some curing as we speak.

I do have a question though. I noticed that your, like mine, has the skin on it. How did that turn out? I tried slicing the skin down to the meat surface but the skin was SO tough!!

How is the skin afterwards??

PGB

Thanks. Ya I was in the T&T and saw the porkbutt (along with the live king crab...man that looked good but tough to fit in a smoker.) . I have not heard of Brian's Butchery will have to check it out, how are prices at the BC Butchery, was in there the other day and didn't see any butt in the counter.

Bavind

T&T seems to be the only place here in Calgary that I can get pork belly without doing a special order. You do have to watch what you get because some of it is very fatty.

monty

CRG - thanks man! means a lot from a seasoned smoker like yourself. highly recommended. the only problem is now i need a meat slicer. i might be a single smoker if the old woman finds out i'm buying more toys  :D

slamdunk - i peel the skin off while it's still warm. make sure not to remove too much fat.

PGB - Brian's doesn't have bellies or butts on hand, they have to be ordered. that's why i go to T&T or Chinatown. The Butchery has pork butt, just ask one of the guys to cut you one.

Bavind - i've had pretty good success with T&T bellies. i always ask them to cut me a 5lb piece and i usually get one with a decent amount of meat:fat. just tell the guy you're makin bacon  ;D
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070

Tenpoint5

Monty have tried peeling the rind off before curing and smoking yet? Much better flavor penetration IMHO
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

monty

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 23, 2010, 02:56:46 PM
Monty have tried peeling the rind off before curing and smoking yet? Much better flavor penetration IMHO

10.5 - i haven't tried that before. is the skin easy to get off before it's hot? will your butcher cut it off for you?
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

monty

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 29, 2010, 03:29:47 PM
Mine will take it off for me.

thanks for the tip - i'll check with my butcher!
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070