Newbie from Nova Scotia Canada

Started by azamuner73, February 03, 2010, 08:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azamuner73

Hi there,

My addiction to jerky and smoked salmon had me looking into ways to make it myself to save money.  I've made beef and turkey jerky a few times now using a cheap dehydrator...sure it's not as good as say Jack Links but it starting to taste good. Haven't tried my hand at smoking yet, about to pull the trigger on a Digital Bradley Smoker, but I have attempted gravlox and it was pretty good.

In order to take my food to the next level, I decided I had to have a smoker.  I just got the LEM jerky cannon and am about to attempt make my first GB jerky this weekend.  Just started reading here and am getting some good advice.  I think these forums will become more important as I begin my journey into smoked foods.

So hello everyone!

classicrockgriller

Hello from Texas azamuner and welcome to the forum.

Hope you enjoy your Bradley and happy smoking.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum azamuner73!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

MPTubbs

Welcome from Nebraska aza73.

You'll like the ride here....lots of smok'n guru's on board.

keep the vent open and the smoke roll'n!
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

KyNola

Welcome friend!
Be sure to take a look at the jerky section of the forum as well as the fish section.  Excellent recipes and hints in there for your jerky and salmon needs.

KyNola

azamuner73

Thanks!

So much to learn it makes my head spin.  I'll take my time and soak it up though.

For a newbie just learning, would it be advantageous to buy the digital smoker and get a PID later?  Just learned what a PID was like 5 mins ago here on the site.  It seems like the digital would be perfectly fine for most foods and then if you needed a more stable temp, you could install one of those Auber PIDs.

Also a 4-rack should suffice yes?  They don't sell the 6-racks here in Nova Scotia.  Heck you don't get much stuff here really.  It's like Canada stops east of Quebec.  I had to even get my jerky cannon from Alberta which I plan to try this weekend.  Got some reading to do on GB jerky.

For us Canucks, where do you get curing salt?  I can't find it.  Some websites even say it's a controlled substance in Canada.  Do I honestly need curing salts or can I just use kosher or pickling salt?  I thought curing salts are mostly used to preserve meat for longer periods and to maintain a reddish color to the meat.

RAF128

Well howdy.    I see you've made gravlox.    I have too and I really enjoy it.    I wanted to add a smoke flavour but it got too warm in the smoker even by only running the generator only.    I've since bought a cold smoke adapter and am itching to make some more and cold smoke it.   Now all I have do is find a deal on fresh whole salmon.    It's pretty pricey out here.

azamuner73

Yeah the gravlox turned out nice...just like candy.  I tried a 2nd time and thought I'd get smart and try liquid smoke.  Turned out a little bitter and I had to play around with a little maple syrup to sweeten it.  Best to leave it alone or cold smoke it if you can I guess.  Live and learn.

Luckily Atlantic salmon is right on my doorstep, although the stores still charge too much for it.  I'd like to try some trout too, I hear that's quite yummy.

TTNuge

Welcome!

If your plan is to do a lot of jerky and salmon I for one would recommend to get the Original Bradley Smoker and an Auber PID right away.  Doing it that way the cost difference isn't as bad as getting a digital and then a PID later and I think you'll really enjoy the tight temp tolerances that the PID will give you right out of the box.

Either way you're sure to enjoy it.

Trent

Mr Walleye

Hi Azamuner73 and welcome to the forum from a fellow Canuck.

Here are a few suppliers in Canada for Cure #1

JB's Sausage Supply in Regina - http://www.jbsausagesupplies.com/

Halfords in Edmonton - http://www.halfordhide.com/

Stuffers Located in Langley BC - http://www.stuffers.com/

All good companies to deal with too.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

OU812

Halifax Aussie

Hi there I,m if Halifax and just got 25kg(I'm in the Cooking industry) of Cure  called Super cure its the same as insta cure I plain selling on eBay PM and I will sell you some Super cheap !
oh by the way Welcome !
In 1992, Newfoundland scientists discovered that Bacon was made from pigs.

lumpy

Welcome to the forum you Bluenoser Eh!
Hello from Ontario.

Go for the 6 rack. After your first few smokes, you will wish you bought a larger unit.
I have the BDS and PID. I like all the blinking lights ;)

Lumpy

KevinG

Welcome azamuner73, there's nothing better than fresh jerky out of your Bradley!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

azamuner73

Thanks again for the warm welcome.   :)

I'm just waiting for our only local supplier (Canadian Tire) or crappy tire to put them on sale again.  They have the digital for $100 off but it was just before Christmas and I couldn't bring myself to buy it because of the time of year.  I hope it goes on sale again or I will be kicking myself for not grabbing it when I had the chance.  Either way, I am determined to get one but for now I am playing the waiting game.