HOMEMADE LIMONCELLO

Started by Habanero Smoker, February 06, 2010, 01:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Here is the version of Limoncello I make. I found it on-line in a newspaper article. The link I had bookmarked no longer works. Comments in parentheses are my adjustments to the recipe.

HOMEMADE LIMONCELLO
Makes about 2 1/2 quarts.
• 2 lb. lemons (use only unblemished ones)
• 1 quart (4 c.) clear grain alcohol such as vodka (I use 75.5% Grain Alcohol also called Grain Neutral Spirits; I can't find 95%)
• 6 c. purified water (distilled water is a form of purified water)
• 2 1/2 c. cane (or granulated) sugar (I now only use refine white sugar to prevent unpleasant color)

Directions
Thoroughly wash lemons. With a very fine micro plane, zest the lemons. Put zest and vodka in a tightly sealed jar or bottle large enough to accommodate at least a quart of liquid.

Place container in a cool, dark and dry place for at least 3 to 5 days (I go 1 – 2 weeks). Shake the jar at least twice a day. Zest will turn white when flavoring is done. Strain the zest from the liquid through a fine sieve; discard the zest and set aside the flavored vodka.

Place 6 cups water in a saucepan over low heat and add sugar. Heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves and syrup is clear.

Cool syrup to room temperature. In a large pot or bowl, mix the syrup with lemon vodka. Strain the sweetened lemon vodka through several changes of coffee filters (I use unbleached coffee filters). Store in tightly sealed bottles, and place in the refrigerator (I let it age another 2 weeks in the refrigerator before using). Chill and enjoy.

I haven't tested the self-life at room temperature, because the recipe stated it has a short self-life if unrefrigerated. I've seem similar recipes to this one that do not call for refrigeration.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Pachanga

Sounds to me like one Habanero Smoker consumed the product before the shelf life could be tested.

Good luck and fast drinking,

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

I'm kinda the "Open Bottle & Pour in Mouth" type person, but I may have to give this a shot or two.

KevinG

95%, heck you might as well use rubbing alcohol. :P
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Ka Honu

Limoncello is best stored in and served directly from the freezer.  You can also make an excellent variation with cream or milk.

anderson5420

Ah, limoncello!  I first tasted it in Sorrento, Italy.  I want to go back!

If you are going to use that much water, though, you ought to try Everclear instead of vodka (the grain alcohol, not the band!).  We can now get 195 proof Everclear in the state stores here in Washington, and although it is lousy for drinks, it is great for making liqueurs! If you can't get Everclear, you should probably cut back on the water by about half or more. Although your "vodka" at 75% alcohol (does it say 150 proof?) seems pretty close to Everclear - vodka here is 80 proof or 40% alcohol, and I would cut the water down to one cup and use a two part sugar to one part water ratio to make the syrup if I were using 40% alcohol vodka, and in fact have done that on various liqueurs.  

This limoncello recipe calls for 600 grams of sugar for a liter of Everclear and a liter of water.  Here is a handy chart to convert grams to cups of various stuff.  Sugar you can see is about 200 grams per cup, so this recipe's 600 grams would equate to 3 cups of sugar, not too far off your 2.5 cups. Might be better with less, have to play around and see.

Limoncello does NOT need to be refrigerated, but i guess it doesn't hurt.  The alcohol level is plenty high.

So many recipes, so little time!

Habanero Smoker

Pachanga;
That is so true. limoncello and sparkling wine or champagne you can't beat.

Ka Honu;
You drink sounds great. I need to try that.

KevinG,
That is pure grain alcohol. I used to be able to purchase it in New York. We use to use it to spike fruit punch at parties.

anderson5420,
Everclear is generally used in most of the limoncello recipes you find on line, but I can't find that in New York. I believe New York won't allow the liquor stores to sell anything over 80%; but I need to confirm that. I posted the recipe as it was when I got it online, and added my adjustments in parenthesis. In the parenthesis I stated I use 75.5% Grain Alcohol (which is generally also called grain neutral spirits), that is why I recommend it over the vodka which is 40% or 80 proof. 

There are so many variations online but I chose this one. If the link to the article still worked it gives much more information, and suggested you could add more or less sugar for you taste and thickness. Thanks for your suggestions for those that choose to use vodka, other information, and link. I may tinker with the next batch. I use that converter frequently; and recommend it. I'm still trying to get use to the new format, - I liked their old converter better (it was much easier to use).

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Caneyscud

I kinda like Giata's version. - I don't know why!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Quarlow

Quote from: Caneyscud on February 08, 2010, 12:08:15 PM
I kinda like Giata's version. - I don't know why!
That's cause while you were staring at Giada's cleavage you pour to much spirits in it and one little shot glass now gets you looped. ;D ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

NePaSmoKer

Habs

You have to go to NJ to get Everclear

Habanero Smoker

NePas;

Thanks for that information. I'll probably be heading that way in May.

I can't watch Giada, her head seems two sizes to large for her body.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Quarlow

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 08, 2010, 01:41:34 PM
NePas;

:D :D :D Your looking to far north then. You need to look just south of the neckline.  :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Quarlow on February 08, 2010, 04:53:31 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 08, 2010, 01:41:34 PM
NePas;

:D :D :D Your looking to far north then. You need to look just south of the neckline.  :D :D :D

I know what you mean, but I just can't get past her head. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

classicrockgriller

Habs, that's what they make Paper Bags for, If you can still find them. ;D

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 09, 2010, 10:18:44 AM
Habs, that's what they make Paper Bags for, If you can still find them. ;D

Good one.  :D  ;D