Good video on Smoked salmon

Started by Halifax Aussie, February 07, 2010, 05:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halifax Aussie

Seen this on utube and liked the knife work as well as the video in general !
What do u folks think ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5h-9P9K_MU&feature=related#watch-main-area
In 1992, Newfoundland scientists discovered that Bacon was made from pigs.

3rensho

Very interesting video.  I too was impressed with the knife work.  Thanks for the post.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Gizmo

I think they done a fish or two before getting filmed.  ;)
I like the skinning machine.  Amazing that it get only the skin.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Kummok

I think someone is selling them chum at sockeye prices.....that's the palest wild "sockeye" I've ever seen. Up here, we call it 'Red salmon' because it is, well, RED. The meat in the video looked good and firm with no residual blood...a real plus!

They pulled the pinbones post-smoke while I do it pre-smoke....no biggie but it works well for the way I cut it up and process.

As far as the skinning machine goes, it leaves too much grey for my taste....that's where the nasty fishy flavor resides and ALL mine gets trimmed off. I really like the machine that they use to get the "mush" off the backbone...I work the backbone over with a small, flexible knife and the very thin "salmon bacon" pieces go into the frying pan w/ spices for about 10-15 seconds which makes, along with a couple eggs, a great breakfast. Most I've seen just throw the backbone meat away...a real waste of great meat. :-[

The knife work on cutting the slabs is very good and Gizmo's right, it is accomplished by the experience of whacking up hundreds of fish....many folks at the cleaning tables here do it pretty much the same but it IS entertaining to watch many weekend fishermen destroy a perfectly good fish AFTER dragging it through the dog crap on the docks to the public cleaning tables full of seagull crap...Yuck!  :'(

azamuner73

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's coho or Atlantic.  Grizzly is run out of Quebec.

RAF128

I'm going to make this.    I don't know how I'll duplicate the "26" spices so I think I'll wing it.   Use spices that I like.   Kosher salt will be what I'll use.   Only other concern is how am I going to keep the cold smoke at 10* C (50F).    Room temp in my garage is 63 and with the cold smoke adapter it usually rises to about 80*.    I was thinking I'd buy a few bags of ice and put them in to the bottom of the tower.   Any thoughts?

RAF128

Well, the salmon just went into the smoker.    Put a couple of ice bags in with it.    If all goes well should have some smoked salmon at this time tomorrow.

Kummok

Mmmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm ...... Anticipation!!

OU812

I cant wait.

Next time salmon is on sale I'm buyin it all.  :D

Kummok

A few years back, I posted an estimated cost per pound (and kg for my metricated friends) of our '"free" catch-it-yourself salmon up here in Alaska....after adding in the cost of the offshore boat, tackle, fuel, license, boat equipment, safety stuff, etc and amortized over 8-10 years, it came out at something like $800/lb. Kinda makes store-bought a lot more attractive!!  :-\  Now if I could just find a fishmonger that was as picky as I am about proper catching/processing, I wouldn't concern myself with offshore fishing that much... ;)

tsquared

QuoteA few years back, I posted an estimated cost per pound (and kg for my metricated friends) of our '"free" catch-it-yourself salmon up here in Alaska....after adding in the cost of the offshore boat, tackle, fuel, license, boat equipment, safety stuff, etc and amortized over 8-10 years, it came out at something like $800/lb. Kinda makes store-bought a lot more attractive!!  Undecided  Now if I could just find a fishmonger that was as picky as I am about proper catching/processing, I wouldn't concern myself with offshore fishing that much... Wink
Please keep your opinion to your self--around my wife!!! That's dangerous math you're talkin there mister. ;)
T2

SnellySmokesEm

Great Video.....  That Salmon looked delicious.
QuoteI work the backbone over with a small, flexible knife and the very thin "salmon bacon" pieces go into the frying pan w/ spices for about 10-15 seconds which makes, along with a couple eggs, a great breakfast.
Let me know next time your making breakfast!   Yum!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

RAF128

4 hours to go.    Unfortunetly the temp go in the mid 70's over night as my ice melted down.   Also I should have turn the heat in the garage off.    Got the temp down again for the finishing.    Probably won't be just like I want it but it should still be good.

azamuner73

I'm not buyin that they use 26 spices.  That's probably to discourage people from trying to copy their recipe.

I bet they only use like 5 ingredients.  I see what appears to be whole peppercorns...why?  It's not like the flavor is going to get in the fish...it's gonna roll off.  And is that a cinnamon stick on top?  lol

I bet it's salt and sugar mostly.

Kummok

Quote from: tsquared on February 18, 2010, 09:33:27 PM

Please keep your opinion to your self--around my wife!!! That's dangerous math you're talkin there mister. ;)
T2

Trust me, T2....she already knows the math...she's just letting you live the myth of free fish...I only suspect this because it's my wife that came clean and gave me the "truth of free fish calculations"...so I then moved on to "free ptarmigan" instead...guess I showed her, eh!?!?    ;) ;)