Smoked salmon video

Started by RAF128, February 11, 2010, 12:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

In the past week I saw a U tube video, here I think, on smoking salmon.   Seems like it was part of a "How'd they do it " episode.   I've been looking for and can't seem to find it.   Or did I see it somewhere else.

OU812

RAF128

Yup, that's it.    Thanks.    I'm going to study that and try and make some.   That's the way I like it.   Had tons of it on a Caribean Cruise last year and year before.   

OU812

Kummok

Not to steal any thunder from the commercial smoker video, here's how some locals did it. I recognize many of the things they use in the video...definitely homestyle smoking...my personal favorite! They do use a Bradley but also include the more prevalent 'Chief' style smokers. Not a professionally done video but, kinda like the smoking, "homestyle" with a personality that's easy to like.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnUM8UXAr1A&feature=related

RAF128

A couple of concerns.    First off what are the 26 spices besides sugar.   Think I'll throw in pretty much every thing we have in the house :D.   Well, maybe not everything.    Trying to figure out how I'll keep my my smoker at 10*C(50F).    Room temp in my garage is 63 right now.   I was think of using bags of ice cubes.    Also have to try and find some salmon.   That's a rare item in february in Saskatchewan.  I'm looking forward to giving this a try.

RAF128

Well, what do you know?   I found some frozen wild pacific salmon.   Look just like the ones in the video.   Still trying to figure if bags of ice in the smoke tower will keep the temp down to 50 while using the cold smoke adapter.    I also have to check my supply of bisquettes.    Probably don't have enough maple and I know I don't have any apple.   That's this afternoons project.   So I'm getting close to giving this a go.

Kummok

Opps! Just noticed that you're cold smoking....the link I gave to the video is for hot smoking (or "kippering") My bad  :-\

BTW, I always wonder exactly which salmon that they are speaking of when I see labels with 'Wild Pacific' or 'Wild Alaskan' salmon....that label covers a whole range of tastes/textures. Lots of difference between Pink and King....but I never see the label give the type of salmon in the fine print?!?!?

azamuner73

It's from a show here in Canada called "How Its Made".

I definitely want to try the 3 flavor idea once I get my smoker.

RAF128

I noticed the same thing.   The ones I bought today don't specify.   Just wild pacific salmon.    Out here we can't be picky :D.
Now I have to get busy and start making some ice packs.    Going to use some large zip lock bags.    6 should be enough for 24hrs of smoke.   We'll see.    If I don't use them all they won't got to waste.   I'll just drop 'em a glass with a healthy portion of rum ;)