smoked chicken questions

Started by RAF128, February 21, 2010, 06:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

I'm going to make some smoked chicken.   Got a recipe off the recipe site.   The questions:   First off the brine calls for 4 quarts of water.   I'm assuming the quarts are U.S. quarts, not imperial.   US quart is 32 oz and Imperial is 40.    Next, what container for brining.   I thought I'd use a plastic pail.  Rubbermaid actually.   Any problems?

ronbeaux

Just throw some ice in there and keep it cold enough so you still have ice left floating and you'll be fine.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

RAF128

I'm concerned that if I use imperial measures the brine will be too diluted.   There'd be a difference of 28 oz.  One more thing I'm wondering about.   Those that have made this, have you noticed that the skin was not crisp?   Did you put the chicken in the oven for a short time to crisp it up?   I read this somewhere but it's not in this recipe.

classicrockgriller

RAF, As far as I have seen the measurements on the recipe site are US unless otherwise noted.

It is not going to hurt to crispen skin in oven.

unclefish

If you are doing a whole chicken brine time is the full time it says, if you are doing pieces I suggest doing only about 1 1/2 hours then give it a quick rinse and send it into your marinade, I did 3 hrs on pieces of thighs last weekend very salty, this weekend i did 1 1/2 and it was perfect then I marinade over night. I did through them on the grill to crisp up the skin . good luck

KevinG

I'm not sure which cure you're using, but I got mine from the SausageMaker. The recommended with this is:

1 gallon water (U.S.)
6.4 oz. salt
3 oz. Insta Cure #1

Let it soak overnight in the fridge, or surround the container with ice in an ice chest.

This mixture will give a 24.5 degree brine which shouldn't be too overpowering for chicken.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

RAF128

This is the recipe I doing.   

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35

I think my questions have been answered.

CK

I am doing the exact same recipes right now been in the smoker for about 1.5 hours so far. 8)

I was going to prop it up on a can of beer but didn't know if this would work or not to keep the meat moist, opted out and went with just what the directions call for so we will see how this works.

I had to check on the water myself I went with 4 cups of water to a quart, added the salt and brown sugar stirred until diluted and then added the chicken.  Only prob I had was I had to much brine, had to remove about 2 cups but the chicken was still covered.

Brine for 3 hours, rinsed, basted on the out side and under the skin where i could get to.

I'm going to baste it 1 more time before I take it out and then crisp it up in the oven.

PID is set at 210 for 4 hours, will take to an IT of 185......is this to high or should i go to 175??????

The bird is only 3.5 pounds.

Habanero Smoker

CK;

For my taste 175° is still too high. For whole chicken, or dark meat, I only cook chicken to 165°F, measured in the thickest part of the thigh. That is the finished internal temperature after rest. If it is just breast meat I will go to 155°F.

RAF128,

There is a converter on the recipe site. It's on the tool bar on the right side.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CK

RAF128 I hope your chicken turned out good.

Mine was good, nice smoke flavor very juicy.

Thanks for the cooking temps Habs, took the chicken to 155 and finished off in the oven with the potato's. Ended up around 170*.
Turned out good.
Thanks for the recipe MWS

Tenpoint5

I'm not a chicken fan but that is a good looking dinner there.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

CK

Ah thanks 10.5 going to give your bacon a try next.

My wife looked at me like i had a third eye when i grabbed the camera just before i sat down for diner ;D

West Coast Kansan

Pictures like that are always welcome.  The wife will get used to it... ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Hi WCK;

Good to see you posting again.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: CK on February 21, 2010, 09:26:47 PM
My wife looked at me like i had a third eye when i grabbed the camera just before i sat down for diner ;D
Like WCK said they get used to it my kids and Wife ask if I have taken the pictures yet so we can eat now.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!