smoked trout

Started by roughnek, February 25, 2010, 09:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roughnek

After digging thru the freezer I found some left over vacum sealed trout from last summer I decided to try to smoke them to see how they would come out. I usally don't do frozen fish but a friend said they should be alright so i tried. I used Hi mountain wild river trout brine, 2 packs per box use one packet with a gallon of water. very easy to use soak overnight rinse and dry and pop them into the smoker.Smoked 3 hrs with alder wood and then finished trout to desired texture, I think about 7 hrs total.
trout came out very good for as long as they were froven. I will not be worried about doing froven fish again. It will be easier to stock pile enough up to fire up the smoker

Smokeville

Hi Roughnek;

I usually freeze trout before smoking as I like to buy a whole lot when the price drops. Same with salmon. I've recently started making gravlax which is not smoked at all so freezing becomes even more important either before or after curing.

For smoked trout or salmon, if you have access to inexpensive maple syrup, try making a brine of 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup dark brown sugar, 1 gallon of water, and 1 cup of maple syrup. Then smoke with maple. Quite delightful.

Regards, Rich