Circulation Fan Information (More of the same old questions again, sorry!)

Started by Captainslug, March 08, 2010, 09:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captainslug

I know that there are many discussions on circulation fans on this forum.  Different models of fan motors, direction of the rotation of the fan, location of the fan, etc, etc, etc.  But the information is spread over many different discussions.

So I am hoping we can summarize all the info here.  I am going to attempt (and probably utterly fail) to get the questions out that need to be answered for us newbies (especially me!) as to the info needed to correctly install a circulation fan in a Bradley.

So here I go:

1)  Make and model of fan to use?  One I have seen suggested is this one http://linux105.mysite4now.net/johnt128/www/smoke/index.php?crn=229&rn=446&action=show_detail  Are there others?  Which has worked well for people?  Which is the simplest to install?

2)  Location of installation? I know there are many different smokers out there but is there a "standard" location?  If there is a standard location, where?  If not, where for each Bradley model?

3) Direction of fan rotation?  (Pull from the front is the correct I believe) Is there one where you don't have to disassemble the motor to correct the direction of rotation?

4) Can any one else thing of anything that us newbies should be aware of?

Thanks in advance to all who reply and my apologies to all who think I am flogging a dead horse again.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

classicrockgriller

I have two of these fans on the way to me for two different Bradley's.

I chose these cause BigJohnT has them complete (I hope) with the fan, cover, direction of fan.

I'm not good at doing "Make You Own".

From what I have seen, the location is pretty much same place. Above the element.

I have seen where some say pulling makes the back cabinet too hot, so they push and difuse the air.

When I get my Fan I will make a post from start to finish of the installion if it will help.

Captainslug

Another thing I have seen is some people have put a small "deflector" over the top of the fan.  Is this required?  What purpose does it serve?
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

Quarlow

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 08, 2010, 10:00:30 AM

I chose these cause BigJohnT has them complete (I hope) with the fan, cover, direction of fan.

From what I have seen, the location is pretty much same place. Above the element.

I have seen where some say pulling makes the back cabinet too hot, so they push and difuse the air.

When I get my Fan I will make a post from start to finish of the installion if it will help.
This should answer that.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Captainslug

Quote from: Quarlow on March 08, 2010, 11:59:44 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 08, 2010, 10:00:30 AM

This should answer that.

Sorry but I screwed up the question and what I was asking. CRG posted the word "cover" but I believe he was referring to the cover on the exterior of the smoker over the fan motor.  You can see it on the link above to the setup of that fan. 

What I was asking about was about a deflector over the fan inside the smoker.

Habanero Smoker

Here is an area where most if not all the information is in one area. Make sure you read through the whole thread.

Circulation Fan

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

Sorry to get involve in it, just to inform you that the fan sold by BigjohnT or Smokeitall does not include the deflector over the fan inside the smoker they say it is not required.

Captainslug

Quote from: toker on March 08, 2010, 04:02:10 PM
Sorry to get involve in it, just to inform you that the fan sold by BigjohnT or Smokeitall does not include the deflector over the fan inside the smoker they say it is not required.

No need to be sorry Toker.  I understood it was an "after market homemade" add-on that some people have installed.  But you do bring up a good point.  If they say it is not required, I have no reason to doubt them about it.  But if there is a way to improve an improvement, I'm all for it.  For those of you out there who have installed them, what difference has it made? What is the direction of the fan's air flow for the people who have installed it?

And speaking of the direction of the fan, some have the fan pulling air from the front to the back and others have the fan pushing air from the back to the front.  What is the difference people noticed?  Does the pushing air from the back towards the front dry out the items on bottom rack? Does pulling air from the front towards the back overheat the back of the smoker? 

Theses are the types of questions I would like answered. 

I have ordered a fan from the link above and I'd like to understand all of this the best I can before I install it.  If the fan air deflector inside the smoker makes a big difference(for whatever reason), it will make a difference when I install the fan to insure I have the clearances I require.

Mr Walleye

CaptainSlug

Here is a link to the information and rationale I used on my circulation fan install. I started out with the fan pulling air to the back of the cabinet but switched it to blowing towards the door.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6843.0

I built mine from scratch but if I was doing it again I would just order the entire thing as you have done. You can run it for a while and see if you notice any problems with the bottom rack. If you do, just add a shield to deflect the air.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Captainslug

Thanks Everyone!  Very helpful.

I'll just wait for CRG to post his success installing his new fan.

CRG, you'll have to let us know if it is a pusher or a puller fan.

classicrockgriller

I will do that. I seem to be having a problem recieving my fans.

Will let you know hopefully tomorrow.

classicrockgriller

Been busy (Son got married on Friday and had Family over Sat) but in my spare time I

installed a fan kit in my 6rk and I will post my thoughts on installing it and I am seasoning

the smoker today.

Toker

CRG just tell me the blades seize on your 6 rack pls, wanted to know because i want to install it into my OBS and those i have are 2 inches. Wanted to know on a 6 rack if it takes bigger blades. Also tell me the degree difference between each rack with the fan pls.

BTW I'm mixed up in my memory, how many smokers do you have 2-3? I thought you had a Jim Beam one and you were waiting for a OBS, did you change your mind or if I'm wrong somehere?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: toker on March 14, 2010, 01:03:40 PM
CRG just tell me the blades seize on your 6 rack pls, wanted to know because i want to install it into my OBS and those i have are 2 inches. Wanted to know on a 6 rack if it takes bigger blades. Also tell me the degree difference between each rack with the fan pls.

BTW I'm mixed up in my memory, how many smokers do you have 2-3? I thought you had a Jim Beam one and you were waiting for a OBS, did you change your mind or if I'm wrong somehere?

toker it is the same size blade as the difference in height between the V-tray

and the first rack doesn't change between the 4rk and the 6rk.

I plan on seasoning the smoker today and I will try to take some temps.

You are correct, JB, OBS, 6rk.

The 6rk is dual elements with 18 racks and fan kit.

Toker