Help Required! Building a Smoker

Started by justwandr, March 15, 2010, 09:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

If you're willing to wait for shipping you can order it through sausagemaker.

www.sausagemaker.com
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

justwandr

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/Appliance-Parts/WHIRLPOOL-Oven-bake-element-item-number-AP3075035.aspx

I am thinking about ordering the above heating element. I will visit the sears repair center anyhow. A friend of mine saw me working on the smoker and now he wants one too!! So the extra element won't be so extra.

justwandr

Kevin that was the original plan however the element they have is too big or not big enough.

classicrockgriller

Here is a site that will help you calculate the element you need.

http://www.heatershop.com/btu_calculator.htm

justwandr

I was finally able to obtain the heating elements. One is 1650 watts and the other 825watt I believe both are 220v. I have a 20 amp breaker in place so I was really concerned about not over doing it.

Here are the pics of the elements hopefully I got them right this time.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HawkeyeSmokes

Those do look like 220V elements. That means you need to have a 220V supply line to run those.

It sounds like you have a single 20 amp breaker so you would have a 110V supply right now. The most you can run on that is a 1500 watt 110V element unless the outlet itself is a 20 amp dedicated circuit. Then you could go up to about 2000 watts 110V if you could find one.
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

I had a dedicated line to my garage for a built in vac system that wasn't being used. I converted it with the help of a friend who worked for hydro to 220v by splitting the power to 110v on each side to run my tablesaw and welder. Would this work for him also Hawkeye?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

justwandr

I am on a dedicated 20 amp 220v breaker. I actually have two of those available.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: justwandr on April 28, 2010, 06:09:29 PM
I am on a dedicated 20 amp 220v breaker. I actually have two of those available.

Just trying to make sure here. Do have 2 20A breakers or 2 double 20A breakers? A single 20A is 110V and a double 20A would be 220V.

Quote from: Quarlow on April 28, 2010, 05:54:49 PM
I had a dedicated line to my garage for a built in vac system that wasn't being used. I converted it with the help of a friend who worked for hydro to 220v by splitting the power to 110v on each side to run my tablesaw and welder. Would this work for him also Hawkeye?

Q, it sounds to me like your buddy broke a 220V down into 2 110V lines which can be done.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

I just plug in a 2' x 3' x7' using the tight insulation factor and what you have

total of 2475 watts will get you about to 220*.

Is that hot enough for you?

justwandr

I actually have two 220v 20 am outlets which are on their own dedicated circuits. I am not 100% sure but it seems from Mike's response that 2400 might just be enough. If there is any problem I just found from the vendor that I can also get a 3150 watt element which I should be able to run too.

anyway will try put things together tom and see if I can make something over the weekend.

justwandr

I am in need of some major help! A friend of mine started doing the project as well so we decided to finish up his first. We did our best to wire things up but it didn't quite go as planned. Soon as we turned things on one of the wires got fried.

I also thought wiring things up was little complicated. Can someone please break things down for me.

I now have two heating elements when combined it is about 2500 watts.

How should these two elements be connected. What kind of wire etc...basically break down the wiring part if possible.

justwandr

For some odd reason I never checked out this link which Mike provided when I started working on this project. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?315-PID-Controller&p=504#post504

It basically spells everything out. I am going to follow the above directions and see if I can get things right this time.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: justwandr on May 03, 2010, 07:25:20 PM
For some odd reason I never checked out this link which Mike provided when I started working on this project. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?315-PID-Controller&p=504#post504

It basically spells everything out. I am going to follow the above directions and see if I can get things right this time.

That link is for a 110 V setup. Your doing 220 so that is not going to work.

Take a look at this one from Mike.

If your using the 2 heating elements you posted, you will need to modify it.
HawkeyeSmokes

justwandr

This has turned from an exciting experience to an horrible experience. While drilling and taking apart things was no problem for myself. Trying to wire things has been horrible so far. I have no idea what I am doing and every time I try to follow any step step instructions they are not simply meant for me.

I contacted someone who fixes stoves, ovens etc last week. I showed him what I wanted he promised me he was going to come by on Monday and do this for me but no luck as he hasn't shown. Since I have two heating elements I am thinking about directly connecting to power separately. This way least I can get them to work and when it gets too hot or above the range I want the temp to be...I will shut the smaller of the two elements off.

Does anyone see anything wrong with that? Also a friend of mine has one element. At this point I am even willing to paypal someone for their time if they can simply provide step by step info or drawing...for simply hooking up a single element 220v to the PID etc

I know Mike has done it but he has couple of extra things in there. I keep getting lost between all those things and what I should be doing.