Quick corned beef to pastrami question.

Started by 1wired1, March 31, 2010, 02:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1wired1

Stored bought corned beef to pastrami. Been reading the threads and recipes, not sure on cook time. Most of what I've read says 3 hours smoke and FTC 2 hours, then fridge for a day or so. Some of the posts have said that it's taken 8-14 hours(or there abouts). How long should I have it in the smoker?

Thanks
1w1

Ka Honu

Most people use about 3 hours of smoke but it's all personal preference.  There are three basic techniques:

1.  Cold smoke for 3-4 hours and then steam it in the oven to 165o IT.
     2.  Hot smoke (at about 225o) until IT is about 150o, then steam to 165o IT.
     3.  Hot smoke until IT is 165o, FTC 2 hours, refrigerate overnight.

Depending on the method you use, you can rest or FTC for a couple of hours when done and refrigerate overnight.  Can also rest/refrigerate overnight between smoke & steam steps in techniques 1 & 2.

1wired1

KyNola

1wired1,
Go with option 3 but don't worry about going all the way to 165 for the IT.  155 will do just fine.

Ka Honu

Quote from: KyNola on March 31, 2010, 06:06:55 PM155 will do just fine.

I usually go 165-170o but again, it's a personal preference (mostly because that's the way I learned and I can't ever remember to try it lower).

Habanero Smoker

I've tried lower then 160°F. Although it may be slightly more moist, it seemed to0 tough for my taste. I now stay in the 160°F - 165°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

1wired1

Thanks guys, I haven't sliced it yet, but I did try some of the juices that escaped into the foil after FTC. They were delicious, I spooned them up like soup :)

Ka Honu

Quote from: 1wired1 on April 01, 2010, 05:50:09 AM... juices ... delicious, I spooned them up like soup

Speaking of which, if you have any leftover juice, Hab has a great recipe for black bean & pastrami soup here.  The recipe doesn't call for pastrami drippings/juices in the stock but I bet they would make it even better.

1wired1

Sliced a little this morning. It seemed to moist and wasn't easy to eat. Suggestions on where to go from here? Maybe it wasn't in the smoker long enough?

Thanks for any help
1w1

Ka Honu

Quote from: 1wired1 on April 02, 2010, 09:50:51 AM... too moist and wasn't easy to eat.

Not sure I understand the problem.  I slice it almost paper thin (on a Chef's Choice 610) while it's still firm from the fridge and then heat the slices for sandwiches.  What exactly are you having difficulty with?

1wired1

I don't have a slicer so I'm using a knife. It doesn't feel/taste done. Seems more like a rare roast beef consistency.

Ka Honu

Sounds like an issue with the IT.  As Habs said, he goes for 160-165o; I usually pull a bit higher (170o).  You absolutely need a decent thermometer and have to put it in the middle of the thickest portion of the brisket.  Then it doesn't hurt to double check the temp in other places before you finally pull it off the heat.  FTC may help bring it up a few more degrees but not all that much.

Also, if you're hand-slicing you need a very sharp knife to slice thinly against the grain.

1wired1

Any advice on adding some more cooking time or am I SOL at this point?

Ka Honu

If it's underdone and needs "saving," you might try wrapping it in foil with a splash of liquid and (guessing at time & temp here) throw it in a 300o oven for a couple of hours.

Habanero Smoker

You can also try steaming it at this point. What internal temperature did you originally take it to?

Steaming Pastrami

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)