<waves> Logging in from Victoria, BC

Started by Island Girl, April 02, 2010, 08:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Island Girl

Hi, All:

I am *very* excited to start smoking my own turkey, ribs, salmon and whatever else springs to the imagination!  (YUMMMM).  I bought the BDS because it was marginally more than the non-digital and, okay, it looked prettier <ducks>  My budget is tight, but, gosh, I couldn't find a smoked turkey around here for Easter and was quite inspired by a lady at work yesterday who said her hubby is smoking a turkey for Easter.....  Right. <runs to the web to start researching smokers>

Soooo  checking out the brining recipes and see advice for not smoking longer than three hours...  I won't blow up my machine if the pucks aren't being used and am just using the oven?  Have a turkey that is 6 kilos (2.2 lbs per each, so 13 lbs. ish).

All advice is gratefully received (I really want a lovely bird on Sunday for Easter -- it's a surprise for my daughter, who hasn't had a smoked turkey in years.  <hopeful face>

Ka Honu

Quote from: Island Girl on April 02, 2010, 08:31:56 AM... advice for not smoking longer than three hours... 

That refers to the fact that about 4 hours of smoke is as much as anyone needs with a Bradley.  The cook may go on for many more hours using the smoker, without additional bisquettes, as an oven.

KyNola

Welcome Island Girl!
You definitely won't blow up your machine by just using the oven with no pucks.  The Bradley has a much purer, concentrated smoke so it simply doesn't need to be smoking the entire time.  Poultry is a smoke sponge so 3 hours will be plenty.  One tip, open the vent 100% and keep it 100% open the entire smoking and cooking time.  Poultry holds tons of moisture and you want it out of there as quickly as possible.  I would suggest smoking at a higher temp for poultry, say 250F as you want to move the IT of the bird up into the safe zone as quickly as possible.  One other alternative is to smoke in the Bradley and then move the bird to your house oven to continue cooking like any other roasted turkey.

The most important thing though.....have fun and don't hesitate to ask questions here.  We love to help new users get off to a great start.

KyNola

KevinG

Welcome to the forum Island Girl! Don't forget, you'll want to brine that bird before you smoke it. Here's what I did with mine.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12806.0
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Island Girl!

Brine.
Rub.
Smoke.
cook to an IT of 165F in the white meat.
Eat.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Hi Island Girl and welcome to the forum. 

I think FLBR has it pretty well summed up in the 'short' version  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Island Girl

WOW!  Thank you, All for the GREAT welcome!

After posting, I ran out to the store to get Apple juice and etc. (Apple Cider Turkey Brined Turkey, by nsxbill http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19 caught my attention -- I'll need to try this one with tarragon next!).

What do you suggest for the rub?

Again, all suggestions and advice VERY welcome!  And thank you SO much for the temperature and venting suggestions! I will definitely take your advice!

And, again, thank you for the warm welcome!

Ka Honu

Quote from: Island Girl on April 02, 2010, 12:06:42 PMWhat do you suggest for the rub?

Cajun-style is my favorite for turkey (and most other things, come to think about it) but whatever you select or make up, remember to omit (or drastically reduce) the salt if you're brining.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Island Girl;

Welcome to the forum.

This rub should compliment your brined turkey; you may want to cut back on the salt to 2 tablespoons.

Basic Poultry Rub

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Island Girl

Thank you, both!!

May not do cajun because young'uns will be eating the turkey (now, I, personally LOVE cajun!).  Is a Paul Prudhomme cajun blend (or similar) okay to use?

From the "basic" rub:

4 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
2 Tbsp. Bell's Poultry Seasoning
2 Tbsp. Old Bay Seasoning

I'll go shopping in the morning, maybe Safeway, since they, if any store, would tend to stock American brands.  Hopefully, I can find those two seasonings.  If I can't, is an average poultry blend acceptable (thyme, sage, etc.)?

Again, thank you, Kindly!!  You all are the BEST!!

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Island Girl on April 02, 2010, 06:40:47 PM
  If I can't, is an average poultry blend acceptable (thyme, sage, etc.)?

If you like it, use it.  If you think you'll like it, use it.  Any questions? ;D

BTW, welcome to the forum and Bradley Ownership.

RossP

Welcome Island Girl, sounds like the guys got you on the right track. I am on the mainland down the road from a few others that will pop in shortly. Have fun with your new BDS. Do not be afraid to ask lots of questions, most of the members don't bite ;D

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Habanero Smoker

Bell's is unique, but any good poultry seasoning can be use.

Old Bay is another unique seasoning, it has multiple uses, way beyond seafood.

If you search the web, you will find many copycat recipes on these two seasonings. That will give you an idea of the ingredients that are in the seasonings so you can compare when you select a substitute; or if you have all the ingredients at home you can make your own.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ka Honu

Quote from: Island Girl on April 02, 2010, 06:40:47 PMIs a Paul Prudhomme cajun blend (or similar) okay to use?

Most commercial Cajun & Creole seasonings contain a ton of salt - try making your own.  I start with "Emerli's Essence," less the salt if brining, and add some chili powder and cumin.

Island Girl

I'll look up the ingredients, then, and *make do*!  YUMMM Can't wait! 

I wanted some flavour in the oven, so I test drove a salmon filet last night (stayed up past midnight to finish it) -- brined 2.5 pound salmon filet (pre-skinned, just the meat) for 4 hours (brine was water, soya sauce, brown sugar, kosher salt, garlic and cayenne -- I also added a wee squeeze of wasabi paste).  I dotted the tops with Agave Syrup (sweet) before smoking.

Smoked/cooked for 2 hours (set temp for 200, but it seemed to fluctuate between 185 and 194 -- never got up to 200) -- ummmm vent was full open.  Was doing lots of look ups and saw the advice to set each piece on its own foil bed.  Had done that.  I let it rest for half an hour, then put pieces in a plastic container in the fridge.  Just tasted it -- the pieces were stiff, so i was afraid it would be dry -- it was awesome (did a little dance!)

Thank you, all, for all your help and encouragement!!