• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Best Butt Rub?

Started by DTAggie, April 13, 2010, 01:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTAggie

Have a 7.15 lb. butt I got at Wal-Mart for $1.68/lb.  What is the best rub?

Ka Honu

The same one you'd use if you got it for $3.50 or $0.90/lb.  Sorry, it was just "out there" waiting to be typed. 

Seriously, browse the forum or recipe site and you'll find scores of rubs, each of which is someone's favorite.  If you're looking for a certain taste, post what you're looking for to narrow the field for anyone wanting to make a specific recommendation.

DTAggie

Stepped in to that one didn't I?  Taste?  Good is what I am looking for.  Guess I was being lazy and notwading through the recipe site.

FLBentRider

I like the renowned Mr Brown:

* 1/4 cup Black Pepper, fresh cracked
    * 1/4 cup Paprika
    * 1 /4 cup Turbinado Sugar or Brown Sugar
    * 2 Tbsp. Salt, Kosher
    * 2 tsp. Mustard, dry
    * 1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
      (Makes enough for one 6 - 8 lb. Boston Butt)

Here is link to the recipe http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=99#post99
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Iceman's oink rub is most excellent.

Goose Bay Company Oink'r Rub (Alaskan Butt Blast)

Recipe By: Pat Gbur (iceman)

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon fresley ground black pepper
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon dry mustard

Mix all ingredients and store in an air tight container up to six months.

Source:
"Classics from Pats Place"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

DTAggie

Thanks FL and Classic. Think I will go with FL's recommendation this time since I have all the ingredients.  Do either of you use a mustard slather?

FLBentRider

I don't, (slather) but others do.

The Mr. Brown is kind of peppery, but we like it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DTAggie

I was thinking 1/4 cup of pepper sounded pretty hefty.  May back that down a bit and up and the turbinado.  The family really likes any rub I use with turbinado to offset some spice.

classicrockgriller

Habanero Smoker

I don't use a mustard slather, but I do coat the butt with olive oil. The oil helps the rub stick to the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DTAggie

Got lazy and used Tom Jackson Rub with Love Pork Rub.  Has all the same ingredients as a lot of the rubs on here.    Took 12 hours at 245* to hit 187 IT then FTC until I served it up.  Best pulled pork I have ever had. Son gets pulled pork everytime we eat out and he said this was best ever.  Used 8 hours of Hickory.  Sorry no pictures.

classicrockgriller

What NO PICTURES? ;D

That Turbo cooking ain't too bad.

I like the 8 hrs of smoke.

DTAggie

Sorry about no pics.  Camera was left at the office.  I see no problems with the turbo.  Did it first on a brisket flat.  Put one on late at night and woke up with them at 270* and IT indicating it was ready to come out.  Thought for sure I had ruined it.  I put it in FTC for about six hours until I was ready to eat.  The bark was amazing.  The electric knife had trouble getting through bark but the meat was so damn tender it was amazing.  There was a fight in the house for the burnt ends on every slice.

The Butt was so tender and juicy it was amazing.  Wondering if we have all been cooking a little to low and slow?  Also, I do believe the meats get more smoke flavor after the four hours that a lot of folks say they no longer absorb smoke flavor.

classicrockgriller

The rule they say is, meat stops absorbing smoke when it reaches an internal temp of 150*

After that you are just adding smoke to the bark.

DTAggie

Well I love smokey bark so I throw the smoke at it all!!