• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked pulled picnic

Started by OU812, April 15, 2010, 09:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Nice job on the picnic.

I have got them to 1/2 pull and 1/2 chop.

Wonder what would happen with a turbo cooking?

So much to do and so little time.

OU812

Welcome back CRG

I was expecting the same thing, 1/2 pull and 1/2 chop but it kept fallin apart on me so just kept pullin.

Turbo cookin might make it all chopped pork, aint nothin wrong with that.

ArnieM

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on April 16, 2010, 08:55:32 AM
Quote from: ArnieM on April 16, 2010, 08:44:05 AM
Daughter # 2 scored on two for $.59/Lb a couple of months ago.  I got one  :D 

Made this and it came out good.  http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/02/dining/021mrex.html?_r=4&pagewanted=print

It seems as if that page requires a membership to open...   ???

Sorry about that.  I probably signed up years ago and forgot about it.  Here's the text:

January 2, 2008
Recipe: Pernil

Time: At least 3 hours

1 pork shoulder, 4 to 7 pounds (or use fresh ham)

4 or more cloves garlic, peeled

1 large onion, quartered

2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves or 1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon ancho or other mild chili powder

1 tablespoon salt

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Olive oil as needed

1 tablespoon wine or cider vinegar

Lime wedges for serving.

1. Heat oven to 300 degrees. Score meat's skin with a sharp knife, making a cross-hatch pattern. Pulse garlic, onion, oregano, cumin, chili, salt and pepper together in a food processor, adding oil in a drizzle and scraping down sides as necessary, until mixture is pasty. (Alternatively, mash ingredients in a mortar and pestle.) Blend in the vinegar.

2. Rub this mixture well into pork, getting it into every nook and cranny. Put pork in a roasting pan and film bottom with water. Roast pork for several hours (a 4-pound shoulder may be done in 3 hours), turning every hour or so and adding more water as necessary, until meat is very tender. Finish roasting with the skin side up until crisp, raising heat at end of cooking if necessary.

3. Let meat rest for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting it up; meat should be so tender that cutting it into uniform slices is almost impossible; rather, whack it up into chunks. Serve with lime.

Yield: At least 6 servings.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Arnie,

That paste sounds mighty tasty, gonna try it on a hunk of deer loin I've been itchin to smoke/cook.

Thanks buddy.

ArnieM

Quote from: OU812 on April 16, 2010, 11:07:12 AM
Arnie,

That paste sounds mighty tasty, gonna try it on a hunk of deer loin I've been itchin to smoke/cook.

Thanks buddy.

No problem Curt.  I'll be curious to see how the venison comes out because it's so much leaner than the pork.  Maybe a little added fat?

My butcher gave me a container of his onion-flavored lard the other day.  The stuff is to die for - literally  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

I'm thinkin, give the loin a good coverin of the paste then a bacon weave.

Got me wantin the loin more now than the ribs I was goin to cook this weekend.