1st Smoke with new digital Bradley Smoker

Started by pokeweed, April 19, 2010, 03:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokeweed

I got my new digital Bradley Smoker last week, and spent many hours reading through these forums.  THANK YOU everybody for all the great information!  This forum is really the reason I ended up going with the Bradley.

It arrived in perfect condition, and I got some hickory to start with.  After seasoning, I did bradley's Maple Roast Salmon - fantastic.  But, that was just a warm-up.  Big dinner party last night, and I wanted to do a Brisket.

Now, I know that Brisket poses many challenges, but I felt ready to go after all the forum posts.  I got a vacuum packed 7 lb brisket from costco, and followed Panchaga's advice - rubbed with French's Mustard, used his spice rub, then to make time work out, plastic wrapped and refrigerated until 8:00 PM:

Preheated DBS to 200 degrees, smoked overnight with 5 hours Hickory.  Next morning at 5, checked on it - only at IT 155.  It ended up taking about 13 hours.

I needed to leave the house, so took it out at IT 183, FTC for a few hours.  Reheated gently in foil before serving for dinner at 5:00

It was a home run!  Served with pressure cooked pinto beans (with same spices), spinach, and homemade BBQ sauce - SO GOOD!  Best Brisket any of us has ever had - nice smoke, very moist, tender, well seasoned.

Again, Thank you all for your help!

-Ethan

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum pokeweed!

You might want to resize your pictures before you post them. Large pics take a long time to load for people on dial-up or other slower connections.

Try 800x600 or 1024x768

That brisket looks great!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Sounds like every thing turned out great.

You might want to re size your pictures down to 800 X 600

Your pictures are so big I can only see a tiny bit of what is in the picture.

classicrockgriller

Well it sounds like all you need help with is resizing your pic so we can see that beast.

pokeweed

Oops!  Sorry - hope that looks better :-)

pokeweed

I should have included the BBQ Sauce Recipe - sweet, tangy, spicy

2 cups ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire or soy sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
½ cup dry red wine or water
¼ cup wine or rice vinegar
½ cup minced onion
1 teaspoon garlic
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.  Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, for about 10 minutes.  Taste; adjust seasoning as necessary. 

OU812

That looks better i can see it now.

Looks mighty tasty and moist, got a nice lookin bark too.

Your BBQ sauce looks like some thin to try.

Did you use the sauce like a mop?

KevinG

That's some good looking grub there. It's making me hungry and I've got 2 more hours before I can eat.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

pokeweed

I did not use it as a mop sauce - I served it hot on the side.  That way, we could really see how the meat tasted, with or without the sauce.

I fear the spice rub and hickory can get masked by such a strong sauce - in truth, the brisket was so good, it didn't need the sauce.  Problem is, the sauce is so good, it didn't really need the brisket.  Maybe next time I'll serve a bowl of sauce as an appetizer.  We really mainly spooned the sauce over the beans.

classicrockgriller

Good Golly Miss Molly!

You did hit a Homerun!

Very nice.

Welcome to the Forum.

OU812

Quote from: pokeweed on April 19, 2010, 04:11:11 PM
I did not use it as a mop sauce - I served it hot on the side.  That way, we could really see how the meat tasted, with or without the sauce.

Gotcha.

To me a good brisket dont need a sauce, but I will serve with some on the side for those how feel they need to drown a good piece of meat.

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Tommy3Putts

Welcome to the forum.  Great job on the brisket.  They're tough to do.  I should know they've been giving me fits lately.