• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beef Brisket in The Lower Mainland BC

Started by StickyDan, April 28, 2010, 03:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickyDan

Hey all you BC backyard smokers.
I'm looking for a place to buy some beef brisket.  Seems most butcher shops I've called don't carry them unless you special order.  I live in Port Coquitlam so anything in that area would be preferred however I'm willing to travel.
Thanks

Oldman

Wish I could help you. A few years back I got great brisket. Today I have to order it online.  Good Luck.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

RossP

I stopped eating beef years ago but when I did I use to go to Ennis Farms Meats. They do it all there. Have great cuts of meat and will get you your brisket well at least they use to. Give them a callor drop by. 21896 40 Avenue, Langley, BC V2Z 1N7  (604) 530-1810 

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

StickyDan

So I gave Ennis Farms Meats a call and ordered a brisket.   Thanks for the tip RossP. 
They called today and have a brisket ready to pick up.  I think I'll grab it tomorrow.  She said it was about 7lbs and they have already cut it in half.  I hope this doesn't cause a problem.  I've been reading lots about brisket and think I'm ready for the challenge but nobody says anything about cutting it in half.  Any thought?  Not sure how long a 3.5lbs brisket will take.  I think I may do one as a trial run and save the second one for another day.   Or should I do both pieces???
I've found lots of rub recipes that look great however I'm still open to suggestions.  I guess I'm looking for something that would be sort of an authentic southern style. 
Age???  Should I let he brisket age first?  She said it was already vacuum sealed and if I did not pick it up within 2 days, she would freeze it.  I'm not sure if this is already aged or if it's fresh off the cow.  ????
Any help here is greatly appreciated.

ArnieM

"Cutting it in half" likely means they separated the flat and the point.  The flat tends to be thinner and less fatty and slices well (rectangular).  The point is more fatty and can sometimes be a little stringy (triangular).

IMHO, I'd put the point on a rack above the flat, fat side down.  A little automatic basting.  I'm sure some will argue the point (no pun  ;D).  I'd go for an IT of 190-200.  I'd also use the upper racks to avoid direct heat on the lower guy.

Mesquite is kinda traditional but for me, oak works well on beef too.

If the point does seem stringy, chop it up.  Add some Q sauce and put it on buns.  Hard to beat.

Good luck!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

StickyDan,

You like Corned Beef ?

I like to make Corned Beef outta the point and smoke the Flat.

Corned Beef is soooo easy to make, just trim all visible fat off the point mix up a simple brine, allow to cure for a week, rinse, then rinse again, pat dry, vac seal throw in the freezer till you feel like havin Corned Beef.

When its time for the beef put in a crock pot cover with water add some prickling spice put the lid on and about 6 hr later you have corned beef.

Good stuff.

ArnieM

Just watch out for the "prickling spice" - it can hurt  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

OU812

Quote from: ArnieM on May 06, 2010, 09:46:35 AM

Woops.  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

An alternative to "prickling spice" is raw Jalapenos or Serranos handled without protection.  It's most common after making a fresh batch of Pico de Gallo and you may hear screaming form the bathroom.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

OU812

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on May 06, 2010, 10:25:51 AM

An alternative to "prickling spice" is raw Jalapenos or Serranos handled without protection.  It's most common after making a fresh batch of Pico de Gallo and you may hear screaming form the bathroom.

Been there done that, kinda burns a little.

ArnieM

Quote from: OU812 on May 06, 2010, 10:33:47 AM
Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on May 06, 2010, 10:25:51 AM

Been there done that, kinda burns a little.

That's why you use the string and the spoon  ;D
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4927.msg187803#msg187803
-- Arnie

RossP

Another place to get some good meat in the LML is
The Mad Butcher in Abbotsford. I was there on Monday
and he had some nice brisket and pork shoulder. Nice Aussie
owns and runs the place. I use to go there all the time when I lived in
Abbotsford. He has some good pricing also. On Monday I dropped in
to pick up some of his Landjaeger, only $1.00 a piece. Nice to have
when out in the middle of the lake to nibble on when the fish are not
nibbling. :D
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Slamdunk

I also buy from Ennis Meats - including a brisket just a short while ago that is now converted to pastrami and a pork belly now converted to the best tasting bacon !!

Very good place and great service. They like what they do and since they smoke a lot of their own meat, are very helpful with Newbie smoker questions.

StickyDan

Yeah, I picked it up today.  Started a new post because they cut it into three so I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=15779.msg188531#msg188531

Quarlow

Hey stickydan try these guys next time. We used to stop here on our way home from Gilleys Quarry. He has really good fresh meat and some of the best frozen Pub Pies you ever ate. They are right next to the pub at Coast Meridian and Praire right where the Petrocan gas station is. He has a good selection of meat there too.

Millenium Meats Ltd

3233 Coast Meridian Road,

Port Coquitlam, BC V3B 3N3
604-941-2502
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.