• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Late night brisket

Started by DTAggie, May 01, 2010, 09:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTAggie

Had so much fun yesterday decided to throw a brisket on tonight.  Here she is below with Fiesta no salt and MSG brisket rub.  Then put turbinado sugar on that of that.  OBS heating right now.  Will go with hickory only on this one. 

DTAggie

Well its late and I think I am screwed.  Just went to check on the preheat and the element is not working.  All power indicator lights are on.  Element is not glowing.  Was working fine last night.  Unplugged everything and plugged back in.  Nothing.  Tested outlet - it is fine.  Cabinet temp is only getting to 120* from SG w/out a puck.

Brisket has been out an hour getting to room temp.  Is it safe to put in for an overnight smoke and finish in oven.  Worried that low temp will not be safe.

How many people have had the element go out?  Have only had the 4-rack OBS since December.

classicrockgriller

I admire your enthusiasm.

Pachanga starts his briskets at nite so he can sleep while things are cookin.

Hope you have a great smoke.

DTAggie

Not going to be great.  Classic what do you suggest I do since the element carpped out on me.

classicrockgriller

classicrockgriller

I think you lost a connection to the element.

Do what we discussed and if you need me  .... Call.

Gizmo

CRG probably has you fixe up by now as I hope it is just the plug needs some extra encouragement but don't forget, after the smoke the bradly is just an OVEN.
Move the brisket to the house oven with it in a foil pan to catch the fat that will render out.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

DTAggie

Classic gave me several tips but it is not responding.  After some smoke in OBS do you put the brisket on oven rack with foil pan below or in foil pan?  Cover loosely with foil?

classicrockgriller

Like Gizmo said.

Put in alum pan with a little bit of liquid, then it will start making it's own liquid.

Cover on low temp like 210 to 220.

get some sleep.

In morning you can open the foil up.

classicrockgriller

People do this on purpose ... Is called the "Texas Crunch"

You can't hurt it ..... it's dead.

DTAggie

Gave it 3 hrs of hickory then into a pan with some apple juice at 215*.  Took it to 190* IT.  It was tender but cooking in the juices in the oven sucked all the flavor out of it.  Chopped it all up and will make sandwiches the next few days with some Sweet Baby Rays and Stubbs.

This morning I noriced the face plat was cracked pretty good.  Took it off and the temp control board looked good.  Pulled off the connections and put them back on.  Plugged it all in and still not heat from the element.  I will be calling Bradley in the morning to get some new parts.  Have to have it up and running by the20th for a big camp out at Jimmy Buffet.

Thanks CRG and Gizmo for your help.

Habanero Smoker

While you are waiting for you new face plate, you should seal that crack with some clear silicon sealant. If you can find the DAP brand, that is safe for incidental food contact, but for that area any clear silicon sealant will work well.

When you replace your faceplate, before you unhook the wires from the circuit board, take a picture of it (or draw a diagram) to help you recall how the wires are reconnected.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DTAggie

Thanks for the advice Habs

DTAggie

CRG  - sent you a PM yesterday.  Thanks again for your help. 

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DTAggie on May 03, 2010, 04:46:36 PM
CRG  - sent you a PM yesterday.  Thanks again for your help. 

Sorry DT, Don't know how that one slipped by me.