2 boston butts

Started by bears fan, May 04, 2010, 07:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bears fan

Got two 5 pound butts going in the smoker this morning.  The kids are sick, so spending the day home from work, so thought I would cook up some boston butts for pulled pork sandwiches for a going away luncheon for a co-worker on Thursday.

Tenpoint5

Looks good so far What rub you using?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

bears fan

Using some of the Jan's dry rub that I had mixed up.  I really like the flavor of that rub.

OU812

The start of a masterpiece.

Sucks when the little ones are sick.

db14

Sounds like you're making the most of a bad situation.  I know some pulled pork would make me feel better.

Tenpoint5

That is some good rub on everything!

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

A great multi-tasking day.

bears fan

yep, sucks when the kids are sick.  I'm having a love/hate relationship with Ibuprofin right now.  Get that fever down and the house turns wild like they aren't even sick.

Butts are nearing the 100 degree mark, so they about half way there!

Any suggestions for warming this up for the luncheon to keep it moist?  We will not be eating it until Thursday.  Crock pot with a little broth in the bottom for moisture????

Tenpoint5

Broth or Apple juice. (Apple-Raspberry is my favorite)

bears fan

These 5 pound butts really are rising in temp quite fast.  Put them in at 7:30 and they are already at 105 degrees.  Windy dang day here in South Dakota too, wind warnings out for 50 mph winds all day.  Thought that would slow things down a bit, but doesn't seem to be phasing it where I got the OBS mostly out of the wind.

squirtthecat

I reheat w/ some apple cider vinegar...   Adds a nice tang.

Tenpoint5

I myself hate fast temp rising butts. For me they always get my hopes up that it will be a quick cook. Then POW the plateau hits and they sit at 160º for 4 hours.

bears fan

Three hours into it and at 113 degree.  I've got nothing else going on today, so it takes as long as it takes.  ;D

classicrockgriller

You might take a look on Recipe site at Hab's Vaunated Vinegar sauce.

I like it.

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 04, 2010, 08:18:42 AM
I myself hate fast temp rising butts. For me they always get my hopes up that it will be a quick cook. Then POW the plateau hits and they sit at 160º for 4 hours.

Then the temp rises up to 175 F and POW another GD 4 hr plateau.

The last one I did took 26 hr :(

As far as reheatin I like to collect the drippins when they are cookin and discard the fat then add back to the pork, vac seal and throw in the fridge.

Then reheat in the bag in simmerin water, not boiling it will loose the seal, and then if you need to keep warm dump the bag in a crock pot.