E Error with BDS 4-Rack

Started by allanr, May 22, 2010, 12:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allanr

Hi,

I am re-posting this message because the original was accidentally posted in the wrong topic -- I am still learning my way around the forum -- sorry.

I have a 4-Rack BDS that my wife got me a couple of years ago.  The other day I fired up the smoker and I noticed an E error blinking on the display and the puck feeder continuously running.  When I turned off the smoke generator the error went away and I was able to cook my ribs, but without smoke.

I checked the forum and learned that this error can  be caused by the feeder arm not making contact with the micro switch to turn off the motor.

This morning I opened the generator, prepared to adjust the motor.  First I plugged in the unit (just the AC cord) and watched the feeder arm rotate and could see that it WAS making good contact with the micro switch.

I unplugged the unit and ran a continuity check on the micro switch and it appeared to be operating normally (contact was closed when button depressed).

Unfortunately, that is the extent of my knowledge regarding the unit.  I continue to get the E error and I have no idea why.  I was suppose to cold smoke some pork chops today, but I guess that will have to wait.

Can anyone out there help me with this problem?  Could it be that the problem is with the heating element?  (I know, that does not explain the motor continuously running.)  Is the problem in the electronics attached to the bottom of the generator (the wires from the micro switch is connected to this unit)?

I appreciate any advice as to solving this problem.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

--allanr

classicrockgriller

allanr

Thank you classicrockgriller.

I reviewed the FAQs regarding What is an E message.  I did everything the answer suggested, and since this did not work, I guess it is time to write to Bradley Technical Support.

Thanks again, for your response.

Sincerely,

--allanr

Tiny Tim

To get by today, you can fire up the generator and place pucks on the burner by hand every 20 minutes or so....much more babysitting than you would normally do, but can be done to get by until the problem is figured out.

edit:  By the way, use a tongs or pair of gloves to prevent burning yourself, if you do take this route.

Mr Walleye

Also... if you have an air compressor you could try blowing out the micro switch. It soulds like it may be sticking.

Monday is a holiday here in Canada (Bradley's Head Office Location) but on Tuesday just give them a phone call and they will get you fixed up.

Mike

PS

Also try to unplug and re-plug the wiring to the micro switch a few times in case it's just a bad connection.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

allanr

Tiny Tim,

I thought of that and left the unit plugged in with the smoke generator turned on for a while.  When I (carefully) checked the smoke heater it was still cold.  I figure with the E message flashing the heater won't heat up.  Otherwise there is more to the problem than I am aware of.

Thanks anyway.

--allanr

allanr

Mike,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I did reconnect the micro switch and when I did a continuity check, the switch appeared to work fine, i.e. no sticking.

I am now leaning towards a problem with the electronics and will try to contact Technical Support, as suggested in FAQs.  Unfortunately, I cannot find an e-mail address for Bradley Technical Support on their website.  I guess I will have to call them Tuesday.

Thanks again.

--allanr

Mr Walleye

Allan

Here is Brian's email address at Bradley. He's a great guy and frequents the forum here as well.

[email protected]

Mike

allanr

Than you, Mike.

I will e-mail him and await a reply.

In the meantime, I'll cook the pork chops on my small Weber Grill with some wood chunks.

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.

Sincerely,

--allanr

Mr Walleye

No problem Allan. Make sure you let us know what the problem and solution was. It will probably help someone else out down the road.

Mike

Habanero Smoker

Did you check to make sure all the wires are securely connected? Since the bisquette burner is cold, it may not be properly connected or bad. A loose wire to the bisquette burner will make the unit act unpredictably, also a faulty burner will do the same.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

allanr

Habanero Smoker,

I did unplug and re-plug all of the connectors.

However, the situation has changed.  I put the cover back on the generator and and got comfortable with a book.  Then I looked at the smoker and said, 'what the heck' and then proceeded to plug in all of the cables.  I turned the smoke unit on and sure enough the E message appeared with the puck feeder working continuously, but I left the unit plugged in.

Eight minutes later I felt the heater and it was still cold, so I went back to my book.  A minute went by when I heard a click and noticed that the puck feeder stopped.  I felt the heater and I could feel it getting warmer and the temperature indicator was showing 65 deg.

I decided to get out my pork chops and prepare them for smoking.  When I checked the smoker again there was an E-1 message flashing on the oven heater side of the display.  I have learned that this is a result of the connection from the thermostat sensor to the generator.  I reconnected the connecting cable and the E-1 error disappeared.

The smoker is smoking away, although I am feeding the pucks in manually right now -- I don't want to jinx the unit.  After I cold smoke the pork chops I'll check to see if the unit is back to working normally.

I still do not understand why it all of a sudden began working.  The only thing I can think of is a sensitive connection somewhere.

Thanks all.

--allanr

P.S. Mr. Habanero Smoker, does your handle indicate you like to smoke hot peppers?  If so, I would like to learn more about that.

classicrockgriller

Glad you are up and running, ok at least walking. ;D

Sometimes it helps to wipe those sensor connectors

Bradley (Head Office)

Hello Allan

I replied to the email you sent me.
I will post my reply here as well

Your micro switch could be sticky even testing it with a meter can give you a false reading because you are depressing the button with your finger this action depresses it further than the arm on the motor will
I would start by getting some electrical contact cleaner and spray it inside the switch by the black button also use the same spray at the wire connection, smoke can cause the connections to loose connectivity and the switch to become sticky.

When the smoker is showing a E or an E-1 error the burners will not heat up this is all part of the safteys built into the smoker.

On your sensor cable use a little super fine sand paper or some steel wool to clean the ends of the cable, as well spray some of the contact cleaner inside the sensor cable plugs to clean them as well.

Give these a try and see if they help

Brian

Habanero Smoker

I hope Brian's help got you up and going.

Pensrock is the person you need to speak with about drying any type of pepper. Habanero Smoker is my play on words for Hot Smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)