• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New wirless thermometer..

Started by dribron, May 25, 2010, 02:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

OK folks here is the information that I have found out. I contacted THERMOWORKS. I spoke with Mr. Randy Owens and asked about wireless thermometers. Does Thermoworks have one or is there one possibly in the works? Randy said that currently they do not have a wireless thermometer. They are however in the information gathering phase of the design process in the creation of a Thermoworks version of the wireless thermometer.

I must admit I am SORRY. I volunteered you guys to do some market research. The question is What would we/you like to see your wireless thermometer do or have incorporated into it? I would say to keep in mind all of the applications that this could be used for, Electric smokers, grills, Stick burners, Smoke houses. What are the little things things that would make it better? Such as:

- Longer Probe cord
- Computer interface
- Backlit Display on sending unit and receiver

What are your Ideas and Suggestions?

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

- multiple temperature probes (3, one could double as meat or CT probe)
- long probe wires
- superior transmitting range w/ (optional) external antennas
- temperature logging capabilities (w/ computer interface)
- WATER RESISTANT

classicrockgriller

Affordable, realiability, good service on the down side.

KevinG

Up and down programmable timer and temperature controller (instead of just one direction).
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

FLBentRider

I'll second STC's especially the moisture resistance.

The computer interface part would most likely be a different product, since that will jack up the price point. (but it would be really cool)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

All of the above and a LOUDER ALARM, some of us sleep right through the little beeps of the ones on the market now.  ::)

Tenpoint5

Strictly for our application be able to interface with the PID and transmit temps would be pretty cool.
The back lit idea is for the guys that are doing overnight cooks at home or at a comp.

BTW Thanks for all the ideas guys.

I'm with you OU need to be hooked directly to a car horn for me to hear it!! ;D

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Don't want much, do ya squirt?

I can do without the computer I/F.  A louder alarm would be nice.  So would be 5 foot cables.  Probes that don't die when you take 'em near the sink would also be good.  The range on my ET-73 is pretty good ever since squirt told be to get some decent batteries.  A little more range wouldn't hurt but there are probably FCC regs on that.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

All of the above, plus the ability for the receiver to connect with multiple transmitters; such as the Nu-Temp 701.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

I'm simple ..

2 probe channel minimum
    6' probe cords good to 600+ °F
    temp sense and display to 450-500 °F
    water/fat/liquid resistant probes (submersible for cleaning)
    no pre-programmed meat guides - user set temps only
    count-up and count-down timer for each channel
    temp display on the remote receiver; 1/2 switchable
    50' xmit/receive distance outside to inside
    durable
    12 mos warranty
    under $75

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Up In Smoke

I agree with all ideas,
the only thing i haven't seen is
Accurate, consistent, and ac/dc power capability.
A little larger buttons for those of us with fumbly fingers,
and maybe a little larger readout font???

PPLLEEEEAAAASSE
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Up In Smoke

Thank you Chris for taking the ball on this!

I APPRECIATE YA BROTHER!!!!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

OldHickory

STC and BLSH have the right idea.  I have a Maverick ET-73, and it works now after a probe replacement.  I had poor to no response with their customer relations, and ended up getting the replacement probe from another source >:(   Longer range would be a help for me.   Different batteries didn't help. 
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Tenpoint5

I did discuss the option of submersible probes for cleaning and for use when shocking sausage and such in cold water. The technology is out there but it would make the unit cost prohibitive. Plain English that means they can make one but a $50 unit would become a $150 unit.

dribron

*Two or possible three probes (longer probes made of higher quality high temp wire).
    * Range greater than 100 feet... 300 feet would be nice.
    * Computor interface/montoring.
    * Blue tooth compatibility. ( Able to send temp undates to cell phone, e-mail, ect..)
    * Backlit display would be real nice.
    * Quality, good service, dependability.