Top Kill - Pray

Started by BuyLowSellHigh, May 25, 2010, 06:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

Say a prayer (or two or three) for success with the Top Kill attempt that is coming up.  The odds are favorable - 60-70% - that it will work.  The consequences of not getting the flow stopped very soon are dire for LA and probably MS too, but could easily spread to all the Gulf states in the next few weeks.  If you live in the US it will have local impact on you in multiple ways.  If this isn't stopped very soon it will become a major global environmental catastrophe (it may already be but we just haven't figured it out yet).  For now just pray for success.

BP has committed to keeping the live video feed going throughout the procedure (I am watching the ROV's working on the line connections as I type).
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

HawkeyeSmokes

Been saying a lot of prayers for this one.

I wish them luck.
HawkeyeSmokes

bears fan

I am by no means an environmentalist, but what has happened down there is a damn shame.  I feel for all the businesses that rely on the fishing business.  I'll be keeping an eye on what is happening tomorrow.

hal4uk

Uh huh...  Whatta mess.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

DarqMan

That whole situation is so sad.  I do hope it gets under control soon. By the way, what channel are you watching the action on BLSH?
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

La Quinta

I think the whole thing is horrid...my hubby and I have been talking about it for a month....I find it hard to believe they can't do ANYTHINKG ABOUT THE SURFACE OIL. Get a big mega roll of paper towels...dump flour/corn meal...get the Brit guy who did the Dyson vacuum cleaner to come up with a solution...get PT boats to scoop up the paper towels...ANYTHING.....
I know this all sounds silly...but JC do something.

Where the hell is the government? Oh...that's right the president is in California at a fund raiser for Barbara Boxer...I must have lost my mind there for a friggin minute....(sorry).  >:(

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: DarqMan on May 25, 2010, 09:17:55 PM
That whole situation is so sad.  I do hope it gets under control soon. By the way, what channel are you watching the action on BLSH?

Live video feed is readily available from two sources - BP and CNN.  Most of the time they are the same, but about a third of the time CNN is showing the feed from a different ROV than BP.  For the BP feed go here, the link is about 2/3'rds down on the right side.  For CNN go to http://www.cnn.com/ and look for the LIVE: Underwater view of oil leak link.  Lately I've been running both side by side.

KyNola

Words cannot express all of the different emotions I feel about this situation.  BLSH is absolutely correct about praying that this "top kill" works.  We can worry about who did or didn't do what and when they did or didn't do them later.  Right now, we have GOT to get this thing stopped for 100 different reasons.

NePaSmoKer

Yes sir say bunches of them for this disaster thats going to affect all of us.

WicaĊĦa is raping mother earth.................Tashunka Witco 1867

TTNuge

Been checking in on the camera on occasion today, looks like something is finally starting to happen.  

iceman

Just checked CNN again at 12:45 Alaska time and still no real action going on. We sure hope for the best on this shot. This is starting to look worse than Valdez did.  >:(

BuyLowSellHigh

Been watching the video feed for several days.  The feed that;s showing right bow (8:15 pm ET) is on the riser right at the top of the BOP where it fell over and creased.  A week or so ago it showed one small streamer.  Over the past few days it became 3 small breaks but they have been growing in size.  When they started pumping you tell because the flow picked up appreciably - part of the fluid will go out the riser and part of that will go out the breaks at the crease.  That's the challenge - they need to pump hard enough and fast enough to get it going down the well as it tries to escape out the riser, while at the same time the riser is deteriorating.  It's a delicate race against time.

KyNola

Ice,
I'm so afraid this is going to make the Valdez look like the oil that may drip on your driveway when an old pickup truck is parked for a day or two.

BLSH, thanks for the continued updates.  I heard a shrimper out of Grand Isle this morning and his comment really smacked me between the eyes.  He said " the oil on our beaches took a month to get here so if they stop it now, we still have a month's worth of oil coming this way to look forward to".

That really puts in reality for me.  BTW, hurricane season starts 6/1.  There's some more really good news. :'(

KyNOLA

hal4uk

I still can't believe the BP CEO said the damage was "modest" at worst...
Good Gawwwwwwwwwwwwd... modest?
They need to can that idiot.

Better yet - throw him in the Gulf.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

BuyLowSellHigh

New development today - the cracked, kinked section of the riser immediately above the BOP has new leaks showing today.  If this keeps up it looks as if the riser may completely rupture at that break.  Don't know if this is a bad thing or not, but the kinked riser is providing some restriction at the top of BOP.

The thing I have not yet heard is if all the drilling fluid pumping is successful at pushing things back down how they will hold it in place if the BOP isn't operational ?