GusRobin & TTNuge ... Your new Baby is Born! The Start of you Starter!

Started by classicrockgriller, May 25, 2010, 11:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I wanted to show you what is coming your way!

I know you both will enjoy it and guard it with all that you can do!

This was a very active starter.

I mixed it up with Ingredients and Love!

Very Active starter again!

After a stir down and placement in containers.

And in their temporary homes.

Please copy these pics and put them with the Baby Pics! ;D

squirtthecat

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

TTNuge

Nice, I love it!!  Guess it's time for a new section in my photo gallery.

OU812

I didnt get any baby pictures.  :'(

TTNuge, see what I was talkin about NOT using a pint jar. :D

TTNuge

I've seen some active starters and fermentation back in my beer brewing days but never imagined something like this when it comes to bread. 

GusRobin

Feel like I should pass out cigars or something. Hmmm wonder if I can make wallet size copies of the photos?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: GusRobin on May 26, 2010, 06:15:19 PM
Feel like I should pass out cigars or something. Hmmm wonder if I can make wallet size copies of the photos?

You pass out cigars after you've made your first loaf of Bread!

classicrockgriller

I am happy to let you know that ya'lls starter has grown from a one cupper to a two cupper. ;D

Wife came Home and saw all those starter jars and told me I had lost my mind. ;D ;D ;D

OU .... My local go to Groc store started stocking the King Arthur Bread Flour and have it at $3.69.

I don't think I will be using anything but King Arthur now. FYI

OU812

We stopped at the local groc store lastnight to pick up some girl things and wile Taby was gettin her things I was lookin to see if they had a few things I need and nope, no King Arther Bread Flour.

Have to go to the big city to get things like that,
must not be any bakers in the little city.

TTNuge

Costco has the 50# bags of Harvest Bread Flour for something like $12.  Very tempting and I might try it, although I'll still get some KA for the first step as instructed.

classicrockgriller

I would use the KA flour in step one everytime and for your first couple of batches of bread I would use KA flour.

I have been using Gold Medal Better Bread in some of the bread after step one and there is a difference in cooking times.

Seems to be a heavier flour.

BuyLowSellHigh

GM Better for Bread is a slightly lower protein content.  If you used the same amounts of flour at the same hydration levels it would probably take a bit longer to give up the moisture to get the same internal temp. A second and related effect would be structure development - at the lower protein content the Better for Bread will seem like it won't rise quite as much in volume because it won't support as much structure at the lower protein level for the same hydration - in essence your dough will be more slack. If you measure the flour and water by weight you can dial in pretty precisely the hydration level, and then you can adjust a bit as you change the flour type.  I use 125 grams as the equivalent for one cup of refined flour, whether it's bleached or not bread, all purpose, high-gluten, etc.

When you go to whole grain breads it gets even trickier because the bran soaks up water and changes the hydration requirements again.

classicrockgriller

I'm a meat and potato guy, and will switch back to what works best

for me with the least amount of confussion now that I can get the flour I want.

In other words .... I'm not very smart. ;D

BuyLowSellHigh

Shoot CRG, I'm dumber than dirt.   ???    That's why I had to go to breadman's school.    ;D