GusRobin & TTNuge ... Your new Baby is Born! The Start of you Starter!

Started by classicrockgriller, May 25, 2010, 11:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTNuge

I can follow directions, measure, mix and that's about it.  As long as I don't have to start thinking this should all turn out just fine.

OU812

Quote from: TTNuge on May 27, 2010, 07:38:08 AM
I can follow directions, measure, mix and that's about it.  As long as I don't have to start thinking this should all turn out just fine.

Ditto.  ;D

classicrockgriller

BLSH, is good to know you have schooling in bread making cause I want to

make some whole wheat bread (using KA WW Flour) and was kinda wondering

what adjustment I would have to make to do it.

After step one and pulling back a cup to replentish the starter jar, there are

approx two cups of starter left.

Any suggestions?

BuyLowSellHigh

Send me your basic recipe and tell me how much whole wheat you want to use to start, and I'll tell you what I would do.   ::)
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

classicrockgriller

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on May 27, 2010, 08:13:51 AM
Send me your basic recipe and tell me how much whole wheat you want to use to start, and I'll tell you what I would do.   ::)

I will do that and thanks.

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: classicrockgriller on May 27, 2010, 08:18:45 AM

Oh, and also tell me how you feed (replenish) the starter - flour:water amounts.

OU812

That would be GREAT if you would.

If I would try somethin like this I might hurt my self.  ;D

classicrockgriller

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on May 27, 2010, 08:20:39 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on May 27, 2010, 08:18:45 AM

Oh, and also tell me how you feed (replenish) the starter - flour:water amounts.

I sent info in two different PM's.

Thanks.

classicrockgriller

BLSH This may help.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=15743.0

This is all per the instructions I recieved with the starter

(copy of somebody's copy of somebody's copy, that was hand written)

BuyLowSellHigh

Okay, here's the drill.  As you move from white to whole wheat you will need to increase the hydration level because of the bran in the whole wheat.  Depending on the flours you may need to adjust also for changes in protein level.  A basic guideline is that for each 1 % increase in protein you add ~ 9 grams of water (2 tsp) for each cup of flour substituted.  So if I change from say KA AP to KA Bread, then I add 2 tsp water for each cup of that substitution (they just happen to be 1% apart in protein).  For whole wheat we add 4.5 grams (1 tsp) of water for the bran alone, then also have to take into account any change in protein.

So now let's get practical ...

I suggest starting with 50% traditional whole wheat, and see what you think and go from there.  Your basic recipe adds 7 cups of flour to the starter, and at ~100% hydration we will estimate that ~ 2 cups of starter contributes ~ 1 cup of flour (if you used weight measures we could calculate exactly, but this is a decent starting point).  So in reality you are using ~ 8 cups of flour.  A 50% mix would use 4 cups of each, so to your starter you will add 3 cups of KA Bread + 4 cups of KA Whole Wheat (traditional, not white).

Now for the adjustments.  KA Bread is 12.7% protein, KA WW is 14.0 %.  That's a 1.3% increase per cup, so you will want to add 1.3*9 grams water per cup of WW for the protein plus 4.5 grams water per cup WW for the bran.  That gives (4*1.3*9) + (4*4.5) = 47 grams + 18 grams = 65 grams additional water for the 4 cup substitution.  65 grams water ~ 2.3 ounces, which is just a tad more than ¼ cup.

So here it is ... for 50% whole wheat replace 4 of the 7 cups of KA Bread flour with KA Whole Wheat, add ¼ cup additional water and if it seems a bit stiff add additional water by the teaspoon until you are satisfied, or add 1/3 cup additional water and then add flour in small amounts until you get the dough you want (the latter approach is easier).

Because of the higher protein content in the bread you might want to add additional oil to target the same soft texture, but tread gently here.  A reasonable compromise as a starter would be add 1 Tbl more oil + ¼ cup more water, and then sprinkle in a bit of flour while you mix if it seems too wet, or add water by the tsp if it seems to stiff.

How's that ?

classicrockgriller

Wow!

Sounds pretty good and I almost understood what you were talking about. ;D

Gonna go with that version and will let you know what happens.

When my Sour Dough starter was alive, I did something along these same lines.

Got starter started and will probably do this today.

Thanks Eric. Will keep you posted.

OU812

BuyLowSellHigh

Take 3 aspirin, mail me $50, call me in the morning (NOT!),   8)

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on May 27, 2010, 09:52:09 AM
OK

My head hurts now.

He was saying that due to the protien difference and the weight of the new flour (wholewheat), the water and oil would have

to be adjusted to make it the same consistency as just flour (King Arthur Bread Flour) ....... I think! ;D

I am gonna make whole wheat bread based on Eric's recommendations. We will know tomorrow!

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on May 27, 2010, 10:13:08 AM
Quote from: OU812 on May 27, 2010, 09:52:09 AM
OK

My head hurts now.

He was saying that due to the protien difference and the weight of the new flour (wholewheat), the water and oil would have

to be adjusted to make it the same consistency as just flour (King Arthur Bread Flour) ....... I think! ;D

I am gonna make whole wheat bread based on Eric's recommendations. We will know tomorrow!

Thats what I thought, just a bit of a overload, I'm good now.