Bread from Starter.

Started by classicrockgriller, May 04, 2010, 10:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

This is basically for OU812.

I sent him a starter off of my starter.

If anyone else wants a starter, I will be glad to send it to you.

Heres where I had posted this bread before.

Bread Starter 138 years old Plus.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=15085.0

Some more "Old" Bread

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=15491.0

These are the steps I do to making this Bread.

The nite before I want to make Bread I take my very active starter out of the fridge.

You can see the black line on the jar where the starter was filled to (one cup) and it has grown from there.

Take 1 1/2 cups of King Arthur Bread Flour

1/2 cup of sugar

Put them in a large mixing bowl along with the starter from the jar.

Take 1 cup of water

Pour the water into the jar that held your starter and twirl around till everything in jar is dissolved and pour that into the mixing bowl.

Stir to incorporate all the flour and sugar. It doesn't have to be smooth, lumps are OK, just don't to see any dry mix.

Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let set over nite.

This is after a couple hours.

This is the next Morning.

OU812

This is definitely a learning experience for me.

TTNuge

How long can a starter sit in the fridge without making bread?  How often does it need attended to?  The wife would be fine just thawing a frozen loaf of bread from the grocery store but I like more than that.  Definitely interested but could see where there would be several weeks going by where I wouldn't have the time to make any. 

OU812

From what I have learned you have to use it or regenerate in two weeks.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: TTNuge on May 04, 2010, 11:39:27 AM
How long can a starter sit in the fridge without making bread?  How often does it need attended to?  The wife would be fine just thawing a frozen loaf of bread from the grocery store but I like more than that.  Definitely interested but could see where there would be several weeks going by where I wouldn't have the time to make any. 

Like OU said somewhere after two weeks you either have to make Bread or

mix up what is posted and take a cup of starter off it and store it and toss the left overs.

I can have Hamburger Buns and these rolls and my son will use the rolls.

When you make a loaf of bread, it slices very nice.

We have just about stop buying bread from the store.

Just can't figure out how to make Hotdog buns yet. ;D

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on May 04, 2010, 11:55:32 AM
Just can't figure out how to make Hotdog buns yet. ;D

Caribou had a post a year or 2 ago about making hotdog buns...   She had linked to it, somewhere.   ???

TTNuge

So is it the "Next Morning" when you take a cup of what was rising overnight and put that back in your jar for your starter for next time?  Sorry if I'm getting ahead of you here, just trying to understand.  I had a bread making machine for a while and have made my own pizza dough once, other than that I'm not a baker but want to be.  I love sweet bread so I just want to make sure I can handle this before wasting your time and money by asking you to send me a starter.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: TTNuge on May 04, 2010, 12:03:48 PM
So is it the "Next Morning" when you take a cup of what was rising overnight and put that back in your jar for your starter for next time?  Sorry if I'm getting ahead of you here, just trying to understand.  I had a bread making machine for a while and have made my own pizza dough once, other than that I'm not a baker but want to be.  I love sweet bread so I just want to make sure I can handle this before wasting your time and money by asking you to send me a starter.

You are exactally right and appreciate the thought on the decision.

If you like sweet bread, THIS IS IT!

classicrockgriller

You really don't have a set time that things have to be done.

The next morning you starter looks like this.

Stir that up a bit and from that you need to refill your starter jar. 1 cup.

Screw on the lid tight and stick it back in the fridge.

To the bowl of left over starter, add:

1 & 1/2 cup of warm water (100*)

1/2 cup of Sugar

1 teaspoon of salt

1/2 cup of corn oil.

I stir that up just a bit and pour it into my KA mixing bowl

Turn it on low and slowly add 7 cups of King Arthur Bread Flour

That then goes into a greased bowl and covered with a towel for 3 to 4 hours to let rise.

This is what you get after the rest.

Take and dust some flour on a piece of butcher paper and dump in the dough to the floured paper.

Work in some flour until it is not so sticky.

(sorry for got some of the pics of the steps and I will modify this post next time I make bread)

Grease the bottom and sides of what you want to bake your rolls in.

Dust your hands with flour and cut or pinch off enough dough (about the size of a small tangerine) and roll it in the palms of your hand.

Leave some space in your container to allow the rolls to rise again.

I usually do my rolls in cast iron, but did these in glass so that I could help OU with the cooking times since this is what he will be using.

I did two 9 x 13 pyrex dish and put 8 in one and 10 in the other so that OU could decide on the size rolls he wanted.

And I made me some bread

This is where I am right now.

They are cover and will be rising for 3 to 4 hours.

OU812

Got me on the edge of my seat.

Now to figure out the timing, with work and chores after work I dont get in the house till after 9 P.M.

Defiantly goin to have to do this on Sat.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on May 04, 2010, 12:55:30 PM
Got me on the edge of my seat.

Now to figure out the timing, with work and chores after work I dont get in the house till after 9 P.M.

Defiantly goin to have to do this on Sat.

Was what I was thinking.

First mix on Friday nite and bake on Sat.

Rolls will be great for Sunday.

TTNuge

That looks easy enough!  Let's see and make sure OU812's shows up in a viable form without issues and then if your offer is still open I'd love to give it a go. 

deb415611

Quote from: TTNuge on May 04, 2010, 11:39:27 AM
How long can a starter sit in the fridge without making bread?  How often does it need attended to?  The wife would be fine just thawing a frozen loaf of bread from the grocery store but I like more than that.  Definitely interested but could see where there would be several weeks going by where I wouldn't have the time to make any.  

Not the same starter as CRG's but my starter has gone for over a month, sometimes two in the fridge without feeding.  If I go more than a couple weeks I take it out of the fridge early in the morning for a few hours, feed it.  Let it sit out on the counter all day.  Feed it again at night.  Let it sit on the counter overnight.  If it smells really nasty I will do for one more day.  When I feed my starter I use 4 oz starter, 4 oz water and 4 oz flour.   If it hasn't been neglected I use it similar to what CRG has done.

CRG - I make hot dog rolls,  I think I use about 2 1/2 oz of dough.  I just form into a skinny log.  Let proof & bake.  These were for sausage so they were bigger than what I use for hot dogs .  (the pan on the left is a 1/2 sheet pan,  the other is 2/3 or 3/4 sheet pan for size reference)

I think this pic is from that batch above

OU812

Thanks for the help with the hot dog rolls/buns deb.

Thats definitely on my list of to do's, after we get the buns done for the pulled pork sammies on Tabys grad party this weekend.

classicrockgriller

Fellas, that lady (Deb) also makes some knock out cheese!

That looks very nice! thanks for the pics and the references.

That last pic looks like $$$$$. Way nice.