• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

OBS .vs MasterBuilt

Started by dietz, June 14, 2010, 01:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TestRocket

I'm a proud OBS owner too (new gift). And relying on the wood pucks was a concern of mine too. But I'm over that now and with that said the only negative thing I can say is after being used to using wood (and) or charcoal for heat the single 500 watt element seemed to slow to respond and get to the cooking temp. So the first thing I did is add the second element. Cooking low and slow means just that. And if your good with your hands your can make it better! Good Luck!

mow_delon

I have a buddy with a digital Master Built and he loves it. I have a Bradley and I love it.  I have watched him use his MB and thought to myself that I sure am glad I have a Bradley and don't have to babysit and reload wood chips.  He has watched me smoke with my bradley and he says he sure is glad he doesn't have to use those expensive pucks.  Have eaten chicken, ribs and sausage out of both.  Both are very good.  If you want very good bbq without the babysitting, get a Bradley.  If you want good bbq and no dependence on pucks, save a few bucks and get a MB. 

I want to be sure to let you know that my recommendation is to get a Bradley, they are the best.

shoresdiver

I did a lot of research and flip flopped about what to buy for months, and finally settled on the OBS, later adding a PID.  Quite pleased with my decision -- everything I read about the MB suggested a lower quality. 

Nibby4239

I saw the MB at Sams months before I bought my OBS. I did some research on the MB and discovered that a replacement heating element is not available as a replacement part. You have to buy the main cabinet to get a replacement element. I don't recall the price of the cabinet at that time but it was north of $100. This was a year ago, so maybe the mfg. has wised up. I don't believe that Sams would be selling this if they were aware of this . That's my 2 cents worth. Bradley is the answer. Nibby4239

jha1223

Hey all, been a while. Long, very cold, very nasty winter and I'm just breaking the smoker out for the summer.  My grill has been in bad shape too, so just picked up a barrel and will be back in action soon.

Many have already said it, but here's my take - go Bradley.  Not only is it a great smoker, but you can't put a price tag on this forum.

Right after I got my smoker I made a post asking for help making a brisket and the forum came through.  But, with my second request for help, the forum just blew me away.  I might as well had one of these veterans standing in my kitchen.  I was asked to make some food for my mother in law's 65th bday.  Check out the help I got in this post - http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10137.0
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

HaveNoCents

The MB does not have a replaceable heating element. Mine lasted 7 months. Customer service offered no help. Purchased a Bradley and never looked back. 

Quarlow

I am trying to understand why people think these bisquettes are so expensive. I have never bought chips before so I don't know what there cost is. Here in Canada we pay about $20. for a box of 48 bisquettes. So that makes them 41 cents a peice. So that is $1.23 per hour. Now say you want to do a long smoke like a pork butt and you like lot's of smoke like myself. I would put 5 to 6 hours of smoke to it. So for 6 hours that works out to $7.38 and in my books that is cheap. As I have said before, when I was a kid and dad had his old plywood smokers we had to go out and find the Alder trees and cut them down, cut them into small enough size to put in the car and then when we got home we had to slice them into thin disc's and collect the sawdust just so we could smoke a load of salmon. So when I keep hearing the recurring complaint about $1.23 per hour I have a hard time understanding why. Some one want to tell me? What is the cost of chips? And if my memory serves me, my wifes bil always had to keep pulling out that stupid little pan and pour out the smoldering chips and then refill it every 20 min. or so. Even if it only cost half the price the ease of sticking 6 bisquettes in the tube and forgetting about it for 2 hours is worth more than the cost of the Bradley Bisquettes. So help me understand somebody please.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

dietz

Thanks again guys !! I went with the OBS - found it at Gander Mountain for $299. Did my first smoke yesterday (4th) had some ppl over. Everyone said the bb's were really good... so I'm on my way now.  ;D

classicrockgriller

Congrats on the OBS decission and a great looking first smoke.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mow_delon

In response to the puck expense vs chips expense...box of pucks = $19 (average price).  Bag of chips = $4.00 for 12 cups (that is what I got in last bag).  1 cup of chips lasts about 1 hr in MB smoker.  That is $.33/ hr to smoke.  Compared to $1.19 in Bradley.  That is the comparison in price.  I am not even trying to comment on quality.  This is why people say it is expensive to smoke with pucks.

hal4uk

It's cheap as heck to smoke in a cookshack (or a Chinese cookshack knock-off like my Smokin' Tex 1400)...
Price per hour ain't the way to measure any cooker.

Yeah.. It's a factor -- of course --- but...
Not a good way to choose a smoker.
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Well personally I will go out and spend good money on meat I would not normally buy just for regular consumption so the last thing I am going to be worried about is $5. or $6. bucks worth of smoke. But that is just me. The convenience is worth the extra cost to me. I didn't have to fire up the chainsaw or drive out of town to harvest wood like we used to so it is all good to me. The time I save is better spent pouring another drink of Crown Royal. ;D ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

JT-MO

I bought a box of 48 pucks back in November of 2009 for $25 (free shipping included), and I am still smoking on that one box. I have done many smokes since then, I can't see these pucks "being expensive" it's only $25, and it has lasted me well over a half a year. I guess I am just an average user, I smoke maybe once to twice a month. Plus I think the extra cost to not have to fiddle with it, and tend to the fire is great. Just turn it on, put in the pucks and meat, and wait for the tastey treat! I only touch it once during a smoke and that is to add water to the bowl mid way through.

Also on a side note, that butt rub (bad byron's) you have in that picture. I purchased a big container of it thinking I would like it and turns out it is a little to peppery for my taste, lots of black pepper in it. So I am still on my quest looking for a good packaged commercial rub I can purchase locally at the stores. So far I think the mccormick grill mate rub is still the best I have tried commercially.

FLBentRider

Quote from: JT-MO on July 07, 2010, 08:14:43 AM
Also on a side note, that butt rub (bad byron's) you have in that picture. I purchased a big container of it thinking I would like it and turns out it is a little to peppery for my taste, lots of black pepper in it. So I am still on my quest looking for a good packaged commercial rub I can purchase locally at the stores. So far I think the mccormick grill mate rub is still the best I have tried commercially.

You may want to try taking a few tablespoons of the rub, and cut it with a teaspoon (or two) of white or brown sugar, taste and modify accordingly.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!