• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

OBS .vs MasterBuilt

Started by dietz, June 14, 2010, 01:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dietz

Hello all
New to the forum, have been reading some of the post to try and help my choice. Still a little confused, so.... I have found the OBS for $299, (and maybe add the PID at some point) or at Sam's Club they have this MasterBuilt: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1180971&navAction=push
Not sure which way to go, could use any/all advise. I have been using a "bomb type" smoke for the past 5 years and want to step it up a bit. I mostly do ribs, 2 shoulders. I would like to start doing more like brisket, turkey, kabobs, salmon... etc just me and the wife so no need for anything real big 4 rack would be plenty.

Thanks for your help
dietz

KevinG

I'm not sure if this is the same model Masterbuilt I looked at when I bought my Bradley, but here's what made me go with Bradley. First is the fact you really don't need to baby sit, since the pucks automatically feed. Second is the customer service - you wont find any better. Third is this forum, great bunch of people tripping over themselves trying to help you make a great smoke.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

GusRobin

the Bradley also has a year warranty
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DarqMan

I made the same comparison and the choice is a no brainer.  You have to constantly tend to the Masterbuild by adding wood chips though the door in the side.  Also, the Masterbuild with the window on front like what they sell at Sam's got poor reviews on Amazon.  I just checked and Amazon isn't selling it any longer. I think the window on the front is a gimmick, how long will that be useful?  I'm sure some have purchased it and like it, but I certainly prefer the Bradley and this support forum is a HUGE plus!!! 

That's just my opinion. Enjoy whatever you decide to buy.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

dietz

Thanks guys... think the choice is clear now !!

NePaSmoKer

86 the MB Garbage

Go Bradley

Smokin Soon

I gotta go with Nepa on this, The MB cannot compare to the Bradley for ease of use. A friend of mine bought one and used it 2 times a year ago and put it on Craigslist for less than half of what he paid.

classicrockgriller

dietz, first Welcome to the Forum.

Don't think you will be disappointed with the Bradley.

Like Darq, GL with your decission.

hal4uk

Deitz,
There are THOUSANDS of members on this (Bradley) forum.
Uhhh.. What are those MB folks doing right now?
(I mean.. aside from carrying something out to the curb for the "Tuesday Pick Up"...)

I hate to "slam" any smoker - heck, you can make great Q with a fire in a hole in your yard...
Just never heard a good word about MB.
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Quote from: hal4uk on June 14, 2010, 08:16:22 PM
Deitz,
There are THOUSANDS of members on this (Bradley) forum.
Uhhh.. What are those MB folks doing right now?
(I mean.. aside from carrying something out to the curb for the "Tuesday Pick Up"...)

I hate to "slam" any smoker - heck, you can make great Q with a fire in a hole in your yard...
Just never heard a good word about MB.
Awrighten.

hal, get staright to the point! ;D

hal4uk

Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 14, 2010, 08:44:16 PM
Heck.. I forgot what i wuz tryin' to say...
HELP ME OUT HERE!!!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

DarqMan

Quote from: hal4uk on June 14, 2010, 08:49:22 PM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 14, 2010, 08:44:16 PM
Heck.. I forgot what i wuz tryin' to say...
HELP ME OUT HERE!!!

BRADLEY SMOKERS ROCK!!
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

Caneyscud

Those glass doors are sexy - certainly.  But you gotta take a cue from the East German Olympic Comm..  You don't win a gold medal with pretty young things - you gotta go with the......uhhhh.......uhhhhhh......well, with what works best! - no matter what it looks like!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

DTAggie

Welcome Deitz - Bradley for sure.  Let us know how much you love it.

Caribou

Hi Dietz!
Hope you do go with the Bradley :)

My neighbor was debating between the two brands also.
I tried my best to move them over to the Bradley side but they went with the MB.
Their reasoning was that they feared "the dependence" on Bradley pucks.
But I notice a year after their purchase they are still amazed by the jerky, sausage and salmon that comes out of our Bradley :D
I give them exact directions on how we smoke these stuff and they cannot come close.
Carolyn